Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Hooligan

Visit site
Which Corvid ? That’s the point .
If letting loose the relative healthy vaccinated U.K. pop into the EU which early on could be relatively unvaccinated in % terms .
This means as I have said there still a huge gene pool soup of serum ( the EU un vaxed ) , you do the maths what ever % of 445M for a variant/ mutant to emerge .Theses emerging variants might defeat the current U.K. Covid strain .
Thats the worry early on June / July ish .

By all means travel to the Scilly islands , isle of sky , Lewis etc ......the difference is the % vaxed pop of those islands is nearer 100 % .Say a Scottish island with 17 inhabitants all vaxed adults ......all multiple- ve test s .....tell me the chance of a variant emerging ?
I,ll save you haven’t to answer it’s zero .

Another simple analogy is 6 dice to throw 6 6 s .
One person every minute throws .24 hr day .Figure out the chances of throwing 6 6 s .....could be the first throw sure might be never ? Might be 2-3 times over a 24 hr period .
Now give what ever % of 445 M , let’s be kind 40 % so that’s 178 Million now chucking for 6 6 s , the un vaxed .
Not sure I understood much of this Porto, but I conclude that you will not be seeing your boat this year?

Hooligan

Visit site
Although healthy young people have a very slim chance of dying from covid, long covid can be very debilitating for them
Sadly as is mental health, increased poverty, worry and unemployment.......The problem is that in project fear there has been no discussion of the balance of risk. Anyway, thread drift BUT I remain on course to inundate you with photos this summer :)

Hooligan

Visit site
Only a month ago you were predicting we'd be going on holiday in April

Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?
I doubt it given the presence of the May 17 date, but no point splitting hairs. I am planning as an optimist. You should plan as you feel best for you. Every sign is that there is a roadmap, with conditions, to open travel up and I believe personally that while Europe for the most part will start as Amber, by summer ie July/August, it will move to Green. Vaccinations are speeding up in Europe and cases will drop seasonally. Just my view and I have no argument against you disagreeing.

Reactions: RJJ

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Still unsure by June, but 100% confident I will be out in July and August to the Balearics.
'The chief executive of Jet2 has said the firm will suspend flights and holidays until at least 23 June due to uncertainty over the government's travel proposals.

Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays, said: “We have taken time to study the Global Travel Taskforce’s framework, and we are extremely disappointed at the lack of clarity and detail.

"Because of the continued uncertainty that the framework provides, it is with a heavy heart that we have taken the decision to extend the suspension of flights and holidays up to and including 23rd June 2021."

TwoHooter

Visit site
Not sure I understood much of this Porto, but I conclude that you will not be seeing your boat this year?
Looking back at Portofino's earlier post, I noticed this telling phrase: '........best to be cautious.'
That sounds to me a lot like the Precautionary Principle which seems to be the basis of all political decisions now.
If I'm right we had better all sell our boats now. Because if we carry on down this path we won't be allowed to have boats. Boats are inherently hazardous, and 'it's best to be cautious'.
And no driving Bentleys fast across Europe Porto. You might have an accident. Remember, it's best to be cautious.

(PS there's this: https://swprs.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/israel-sweden-south-africa-deaths.png
Hint: very high vaccination rate in Israel. Very low vaccination rate in South Africa.)

Bouba

Visit site
On our dog walk

Elvis has left the building

On a more optimistic note, I can see all the beach restaurants being assembled. So some people are planning for a summer

Visit site
Looking back at Portofino's earlier post, I noticed this telling phrase: '........best to be cautious.'

The UK's approach to this lockdown and that of other countries is quite rightly to ensure that this has to be the final lockdown. Another lockdown this winter will kill whats left of many sectors of the economy so waiting a few more weeks to be as sure as possible that the vaccine roll out in the UK and abroad has got infections under control is the right thing to do. If that inconveniences a few wealthy middle class people with boats and houses abroad then thats a very small price to pay

Portofino

Visit site
That sounds to me a lot like the Precautionary Principle which seems to be the basis of all political decisions now.
If I'm right we had better all sell our boats now. Because if we carry on down this path we won't be allowed to have boats. Boats are inherently hazardous, and 'it's best to be cautious'.
And no driving Bentleys fast across Europe Porto. You might have an accident. Remember, it's best to be cautious.

(PS there's this: https://swprs.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/israel-sweden-south-africa-deaths.png
Hint: very high vaccination rate in Israel. Very low vaccination rate in South Africa.)
@ Hooligan I will be seeing my boat as based in Switzerland.Boats in Italy .
How ever if not it’s adequately looked after by a guardian and the annual maintenance all planned + taken care of.
As I said earlier think 2022 for full normality.
Its just waiting for the EU catch up , the rpm and gear change analogy.

The rolling dice analogy is the chance element , it is multiple difference of another variant that turns out to end up defeating the current U.K. vaccine .
Apologies for the lack of clarity.
Every time a virus invades a cell nuclei ( and thus kills it ) it un zips its DNA , or effectively destroys it and assembles out of the RNA , a replica of its own RNA thus reproducing .It might replicate 1000 s out of one humans cell btw , It’s fraught with a bit of luck like throwing dice .About 30,000 dice .
The new variants are only iirc 30 different in sequence to the 30 K to change or vary the virus so it behaves differently.
Differently might be more contagious or more resistant or even worse still unresponsive to the current vaccines .Equally it might not .

So the chances of ending up with a new variant are higher if the pool of peeps carrying it are greater .
Hence the Scottish island with 17 vaxed adults vs the rest of the EU with what 1/2 of the pop vaxed .This means the other 1/2 are a potential breeding ground . 220 million or greater mixing with U.K. cleaned up un infected visitors.

As time passes in the EU it will become clearer exactly how big the risk is .....of variants popping up , next two months to June ish ?

The boat or car risk is for yourself , drowning or crashing etc .The bringing back a new variants albeit inadvertently is a national risk , thus gov needs to keep a handle on this this summer .

A the mo the EU variant risk analysis is difficult because most are entering or engaged in lock down s .
Obviously separating or reducing mixing lowers the contagious ness of it which is where most EU are now , but once they open start mixing again ( say the summer ) if it’s more contagious the numbers will shoot up in the un vaxed 445 Million or worse in the vaxed .This is because the time delay of rolling out the first vaccines for B -1-1-7 ( the U.K. ) a newer variant that drops the effectiveness may have taken dominance .
Its just about 4/5 weeks too early to see / tell at the mo .
Hence the gov hesitancy waving a green flag to the travel industry, ezy jet etc .

Basically the EU are conducting right now a huge clinical trial with he current vaccines on new variants , but they are blind to them .
Just think of all those cases rising and all the differing combos of RNA assimilation......my dice throwing going off ....will somebody get 6 6 s ? If 6 6 s is vaccine defeating variant in this analogy

U.K. is watching right now to see which way it’s gonna go .

By June we will all know .

Bouba

Visit site
It was skiers who brought over the first wave. If boaters bring in the next wave, I fear rich people will become unpopular

Andy Bav

Visit site
The UK letting people travel is only half the story .... will the countries they want to travel to welcome them?

At present the borders to Catalonia are closed, how long will they remain closed ? I have also heard that the road border between France and Spain is closed, again, how long for ?

Yet, I was speaking to someone in Mallorca 2 days ago and the Germans are flooding the island, according to him, travel within Germany is restricted, but a test before you travel is permitted so flight after flight is arriving.

Getting to the point where its a fine balancing act between COVID and economics..... Personally, August is my best guess to be able to travel...

John100156

Visit site
Whilst this is a pandemic and people are sadly dying, I am not certain that trying to predict all the ‘negative’ uninformed outcomes is such a good thing. We must leave it to the experts right or occasionally wrong IMHO.

The human race survived before any fast-track pharmaceutical companies and genetic mass sequencing was available and will get through this.

We can now fortunately respond very fast to changing variants and are preparing medical research and pharmaceutical GMP facilities in lots of places. By the end of this year, we will hopefully be on top of all this.

Remember CJD? We we’re all going to be brain dead by now, according to some.

I am still hoping to get out to Catalonia in mid-late June, optimistic and admittedly uninformed person that I am... had my second Pfizer jab on Saturday.

Bring on the vaccine passports! Or why not a simple Gov.UK or EU stamp at the back of your current passport, to confirm your vaccination status!

Hurricane

Visit site
Bring on the vaccine passports! Or why not a simple Gov.UK or EU stamp at the back of your current passport, to confirm your vaccination status!
I think it was @Hooligan that pointed this out to me:-
Download the NHS App onto your mobile phone.
You have to go through some clever security but eventually, the app connects with your local surgery data and you can see your recent medical history.
My record has my first jab recorded - on the date that I had it.
I'm sure my second one will be on there as well after I have had it.
So, you already have proof of your jabs - assuming that a "jobs worth" official will understand that the NHS app is genuine.

Portofino

Visit site
Whilst this is a pandemic and people are sadly dying, I am not certain that trying to predict all the ‘negative’ uninformed outcomes is such a good thing. We must leave it to the experts right or occasionally wrong IMHO.

Against which variant ? Thats the point .
See my post #420 .

Likely the B1-1-7 “ Kent “ .

But what about other variants circulating in the EU ( or AN other destinations) ?

That’s why in the next few weeks say from now to mid June we will have a handle on this .

Suggestions right now are coming through the Phfizer is less than 50 % effective against the latest “ Brazilian “ variants.
Remember named “ Brazilian “ because it was first discovered, not because it only in Brazil .Same with the “ Kent “ or “ U.K. “ in circulation in the EU now .

Still waiting to see how effective the AZ is with the Brazil .....well as I said the EU is a huge clinical trial right now .
Just hang on to see if your immunity that your vaccine ( targeting B1-1-7 ) given to you is effective in Spain or where ever .

Or at least go with informed consent you know it’s dropped to 40 or what ever % effectiveness with whats circulating where you intend to visit .