Meal arrangements - finding a better way

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Great sail back, managed to overtake a larger Swedish made boat, but were then overtaken ourselves by a French Benny thingy - life is so unfair !

On a more serious note, I was more than a little disappointed with the meal on Saturday, both in location and quality/price of what was served up. Particularly as I had to pay double myself!

Having made many phone calls, some double-international on Saturday, and then spent 2 hours finding the place during the day - wearing out a pair of deck shoes in the process - it was not what I had anticipated.

We copied last year's method of rounding up some people and then finding a place to eat. It works OK for a smallish number, not so for a larger one. Once the date was agreed, we were still at the mercy of the weather. Then having estimated the number of attendees, and even counting them up in Cherbourg on Saturday lunchtime, 19 people mysteriously failed to appear in the evening (17 actually, because I spoke with one couple earlier in the evening). Fortunately the hotel took payment just from those who had a meal.

A good time seemed to be had by the vast majority of attendees - and there are no casualties reported to date.

SO LET'S DRAW A LINE UNDER ALL OF THAT.

If there is to be a similar event next year, I would recommend the following approach if possible.

1. Find a suitable venue close to the marina who can take a large number, and serve a reasonable value meal - the Yacht Club seems to be the best option.

2. Find out their availability for a weekend in September preferably with neap tides and make a provisional booking several months in advance.

3. Tell Scuttlebutters which date has been booked so they can plan around it. If you can't make it, bad luck!

4. Closer to the time, eg a month in advance, set up the special forum to enable skippers and crews to get together, work out mutual passage plans, argue over the weather forecast, take the piss out of Jimi etc.

5. During 4. compile a more accurate estimate of the number, and finalise arrangements with the venue (who are accustomed to dealing with groups of British sailors dependant on the weather).

6. During Friday and Saturday in Cherbourg, collect cash payments from all those who wish to attend the evening meal, and provide final numbers to the venue.

7. Attend event - with all monies paid, great meal, short walk back, all punters happy, fantastic weather for the trip back, and pigs flying across the Grand Rade.

Easy, eh?

We will always be at the mercy of the weather, and most venues are used to that. It will be more manageable if the other variablies are minimised, by setting the date up front and then collecting payment upon arrival in Cherbourg.

All constructive comments and feedback welcome.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sex is like sailing - its not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean which matters.

iangrant

Visit site
Nick thanks for that -- not quite enough wind for us that early on - I could tell by your tone on the radio that you were pleased with yourself.. b*stard!!!!

A MASSIVE THANKS for sorting out the meal venue etc.. I didn't hear any moans so bloody well done mate.

Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
seconded .. whatever happens it wo'nt be perfect but I think you did an amazing job with the cards you had to play.

<hr width=100% size=1>

robp

Visit site
Nick
Given the amount of variables and the large number, you couldn't have done better. Many thanks for your considerable efforts.

The yacht club is the way to go and those who ate there on Friday will know it's good. A date (Neaps) in late September and go for it. Those who pre-pay get a seat and eat!
Cheers Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

BobE

Visit site
Nick,
Don't feel despondent, I think we all enjoyed ourselves in our own varied ways ... You and the other organisers did a great job for the rest of us..

1) Yes Iagree the yacht club would be great..

2) Yes but I'm not at all worried about neap or spring tides in fact the only mal de mer was on the outward rolly dead run on Thursday evening (wind across tide)..

3) Yes make a firm date ASAP or in good time..

Point 4 and 5 Ok by me

6 I suggest that, so you guys don't get stressed out, it's arranged that all persons going to the meal are responsible for paying and confirming their places on the Saturday before a given time, direct with the YC mob who will obviously know what we are upto. Maybe the YC could be given a list of proposed attendees.
To make it easier for the YC a few set menues could be offered then we could still all nosh at the same time?

7 Sounds great

and I'll be there what ever you fix.
Cheers Bob E..

<hr width=100% size=1>

cloudnine

Jolly Harbour Antigua, running my Charter business
Visit site
Nick
First of all, a BIG thank you to a BIG guy from all on Talulah, for the effort you put in. We agree with much of your post event analysis (although we still thoroughly enjoyed ourselves) but that does not detract in any way from what you achieved. Very difficult job done very well in our opinion.

Because we were in the RORC race we attended the prize giving at the Yacht Club which was finished off with a buffet for all competitors. It was excellent and far superior to the Quality Hotel.
There were about the same number of boats and bodies involved in the RORC (possibly more) and there was pressure on the bar staff. This was probably due to the fact that everyone descended at the same time and it took a while for the instant overload to be dealt with.
In my opinion the Yacht Club is the ideal venue, they have a large room in addition to the bar area and the proximity to the boats is an obvious "must have". We could make contact with the guy who laid on the buffet, as I am sure he could do a similar spread for us. I can find out his name later if this becomes a preferred option.
Agree with all your other points and we are already looking forward to next year.
Thanks again

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Yacht club

I did, pre-event, talk to the yacht club bar/resto (L'Equipage) and they would have been happy to have helped except for the Rorkers. Seems they're used to this sort of bash.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Thanks for all the comments so far. I should have pointed out that we did actually try to book the Yacht Club, but were turned away because of the RORCers.

Is that an annual event Brian, on the same weekend each year? Clearly we would need to avoid it, in order to book the Club.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sex is like sailing - its not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean which matters.

jimi

Visit site
Another thing .. one of the attractions of this weekend to me is its slightly shambolic fluid nature, if it became too organised I'd probably be less likely to attend IMHO i think we should keep the format similar and if that means no meals or speeches then that's tough, but OK with me.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Good point. Aim of having a 'central' meal was to make sure that everybody got the chance meet everybody else. but there were still one or two people I missed, so maybe past a certain critical mass it's more important to get everybody on the same pontoon, so plenty of boat visinting can go on, then leave individuals to make their own catering arrangements?

What about the value of the wine tasting?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Robin

Visit site
Nick

Absolutely agree with all the sentiments from others, that is an unenviable job to take on and it is a very brave man that does, you deserve everyone's thanks.

I believe we were the couple who didn't appear that you spoke with so you know our story. Actually I was acting a little under Captain's orders (I'm only the Skipper) but there were other factors for us and we were always possible maybes for both the weekend or the dinner, as it was, SWMBO was OK for the walk to where we thought it was but not for a taxi ride to where it eventually turned out to be, her thinking being we had no idea when (or if) we would get back on board for tiffin before an early start for home and that some of the potential taxi sharers might be the worse for wear.

Perhaps there are other considerations where like us we are a couple attending rather than individuals. For example we didn't have a crew of heavies to share the work with and free some shuteye time on the way back, plus as many will know attendance by SWMBO may come with some 'yes OK I'll go buts'. As one who likes to keep some nookie points in the bank I tend to consider the 'yes ok buts'.

Personally I would like to see more of a gathering on the pontoons/boats perhaps during the day, that might give an opportunity to meet people whilst they are still upright, that way there could be less pressure on finding a meal location that could take huge numbers all arriving together as it would allow other choices either of restaurant or even eating on board.

Robin

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>

janeK

Visit site
'2. Find out their availability for a weekend in September preferably with neap tides and make a provisional booking several months in advance.'

same weekend next year is neaps again FYI

A brilliant job by yourself even though the wine was horrendous the main object was for people to meet each other and this was achieved and enjoyed by all.
yacht club seems a good option IMHO

Chatting to a few of the RORC crew they thought it a brilliant idea and were very envious wanted to join in but due to their 9pm Sat night dept time unable to.

If an April jolly materializes count me in.

Nice to meet everyone again and lots of new faces and from the sounds of it everyone had a cracking sail home....brilliant weekend thank you

<hr width=100% size=1>If work was so good, the rich would have kept more of it for themselves.

BrendanS

Visit site
Nick, a good job very well done under the circumstances of not being able to confirm numbers until people actually made it across, and coping with a very large crowd. Never easy to do, and more effort behind the scenes than anyone except those that have done similar will ever appreciate. So well done.

I had a fanatastic weekend, so thank you to all involved!

Willl PM you with some ideas from organising similar events in the past.

<hr width=100% size=1>Me transmitte sursum, caledoni

tome

www.google.co.uk
Nick

Genuinely repentent that my 5 crew were no-shows at the meal, it was more than a bit silly spending the afternoon in the bar. We missed meeting a lot of people, many of whom I was looking forward to seeing.

Yacht Club is a much better idea as the long distance to the hotel was a major factor with my crew.

Many thanks for organising this and a public apology from a contrite crew.
Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

BigLes

Visit site
A great big thanks from all (three) of us on Yanez, quite a job getting everyone together for a meal, and although the food and venue left a little to be desired the company more than compensated.

I think your proposal of the yacht club is the way to go however there may always be some people, probably couples (and there will be more as the event grows) who want a quiet meal away from the boistrous banter that the hardcore enjoy. So as long as numbers are agreed and payment made splinter groups can do so. But the spirit of the forumites meeting and putting faces to names is what it's all about.

If we do something in and around the boats and pontoons it will again be weather dependent. What could be useful is a rally pennant so as we wander about the marina we can see who our co-ralliers are and can introduce ourselves. Without having the list of runners to hand I had no idea who was with us and who wasn't. How about an 'open house' policy say from 3 to 6pm when we can visit one another's boats (remember the gathering on Stingo's boat?), take a bottle etc. and we still have time to eat at the yacht club. We can forego the wine tasting and get our wine orders sorted earlier in the day.

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: Less Formal

We could always go for an all afternoon mass DIY Barbie on the grass area by the marina.

<hr width=100% size=1>
ladybug_zigzag_md_wht.gif