Me and my dad have bought our first boat, a Hurley 20

sarabande

Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

What a refreshing, lively, video and story. I am sure you will both have a helluva lot of fun with the Hurley - excellent little boats.

So many things to learn and it looks as if you are filling up the list quite quickly - but what a splendid way to start.

Perhaps worth thinking about bigger/additional battery for the motor, and the trailer wheel bearings don't like water but for fresh water immersion you can just squirt some extra grease in rather than dismantle them.

Here's a link to the RYA check list for equipment. You won't need everything but it gives you a good hint.

https://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollecti...and Safety/Equipment for Pleasure Vessels.pdf

Keep posting ! Lots of people ready to give advice and comments but that video is F U N.

Last edited:

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I remember my first outing with a "proper" boat .... it was a Kingfisher 22 and our first sail was from the jetty at Kipford in Scotland .... I was 6 or 7 at the time and had a younger brother and sister.

We all piled aboard very excited to be on a real boat - my mum and dad did know how to sail from years of sailing dinghies, and I knew how to sail from sailing an optimist .... we cast off, got out into the bay where we could hoist the sails and dad realised he`d forgotten to ship the boom and it was lying on the jetty in Kipford :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: .....

ThomasW

Visit site
That's awesome, congrats. Looks like your dad is having a ton of fun! Him untying that knot quickly so y'all didn't hit that boat made me LOL!