MDL Otium?

Scubadoo

Visit site
What is a otium point worth when redeemed against services suchas as fuel, lifts etc (you earn 1 point for every £ spent), I find the various links to the scheme confusing and in some cases they contradict themselves.

Also read that berth holders are restricted to max. 14 nights onboard.

Oceanracing

Visit site
What is a otium point worth when redeemed against services suchas as fuel, lifts etc (you earn 1 point for every £ spent), I find the various links to the scheme confusing and in some cases they contradict themselves.

All points are worth £1. It states every point is worth a £1. If you use their calculator it looks like bertholders get 22% back on yard ie £100 spend on yard services gets you 22 points. 5% on berthing so spend £4,500 on a berth and recieve 225 points. 17% on fuel ie £100 on fuel gives you £17 points. All the points accumulated are worth £1 each giving you £264 back to spend on any services. IN this example thats 17.8% of the total value spent. Thats pretty good.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Sounds like it works for people who don't use MDL marinas very often (after 5 nights you are worse off) and don't use all that much fuel or boat yard services as the previous 30% discount is greater than the value of the points earned through paying full 'retail' prices.

j24jam

Visit site
I can only really see it benefiting Dry stack customers as they are less likely to ever stay onboard on their boats.

They have no yard costs (lift in/ out/ storage etc) and unlikely to go to other MDL marinas for more than short stays (Or the odd night), so it basically gets them some free fuel each year.

KnotLoaded

Visit site

No 1 point is worth £1 when you redeem. Points earning is at different rates depending what service you are buying. If you use your collected points on a transaction you don’t earn any new points on that part of it, only the part you pay for

Oceanracing

Visit site
Great for DD payers to. I've got no discount on my berthing fee and cant afford to pay up front to get the annual discount. Ill now get £15 per month £182 per year for paying what I do now.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
No 1 point is worth £1 when you redeem. Points earning is at different rates depending what service you are buying. If you use your collected points on a transaction you don’t earn any new points on that part of it, only the part you pay for
Sounds like some bean counter has been clever with the maths on this one otherwise it wouldn’t be on offer .
Most of the south coats marinas are near full so it’s not as if they are constantly looking for new berth holders .

Scubadoo

Visit site
All points are worth £1. It states every point is worth a £1. If you use their calculator it looks like bertholders get 22% back on yard ie £100 spend on yard services gets you 22 points. 5% on berthing so spend £4,500 on a berth and recieve 225 points. 17% on fuel ie £100 on fuel gives you £17 points. All the points accumulated are worth £1 each giving you £264 back to spend on any services. IN this example thats 17.8% of the total value spent. Thats pretty good.
Thank you, I missed the calculator in the email, makes more sense now.

ST840

Visit site
I put £5400 into the calc for berthing and got 27 points ?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Just retrieved their email from the 'junk' folder.

If I am using thier calculator correctly then no points are earned for a single night's berthing although staying for a week or more does appear to earn points.

Previously visitors got a free night in every seven as part of the old Cruising Club scheme

Elessar

Visit site
Seems you can keep freedom berthing OR have otium.

Freedom berthing and fuel at cost are key features of my MDL package.

Otium would put my annual cost up considerably.

If they phase out freedom berthing - either overtly or by making it hard to book berths - then it’s a really easy decision for me.
It’s bye bye MDL.

Reality61

Visit site
If you are dry stack then you benefit but annual berths the cut off seems to be about 5 nights to break even.

I started a new thread so sorry I could not find this when I posted it.

We use free nights and pasport escales when away if we can so this is one of the main reasons i like MDL, it appears the money machine wants more, errosion of benefits in a smoke screen. be careful not to sign up by mistake. Marketing is trying a fast one here I feel.

Firefly625

Visit site
if you remain a freedom berth holder, will you still be offered a discount for early settlement of your annual contract I wonder? No mention of it either way.. But there is mention of it under the Otium scheme.

If you don't that would push me the Otium route...? But apart from that I don't think I would bother changing. I like my 30% off boat yard services and fuel at cost. Although I only use my "freedom berthing" once a year for an overnight prior to lift out at Hamble point....

When new berth holders will not even be offered the Freedom package option it sort of shouts that Otium is a backward step..

Reality61

Visit site
I have read a bit more on this and am a little concerned. If you get a contract now you only get OTIUM. The small print reads Freedom berthing is available for the length of your contract. Will they try a fast one and say the contract is new for next April so you are forced to change over.

I feel it is all now about the money, which considering the tax payer picked up 80% of the furlough staff with all the annual money in and now all marinas approaching full to bursting and so no options for anyone, lets make hay whilst the sun shines !!!

They say it is because people have been tearing the ass out of the system, if this is the case then they need to sort out the few rather than punish the many or limit the days to 30 like the old system.

Fingers crossed for the future !!

Blue Sunray

Visit site
They say it is because people have been tearing the ass out of the system, if this is the case then they need to sort out the few rather than punish the many or limit the days to 30 like the old system.

Fingers crossed for the future !!

Where have they said that? Even if it is that case I'd agree with you some sort of limit rather than bid the whole thing. The freedom of freedom berthing was a UPS for MDL and I'd certainly be inclined to move the boat if it goes.