MDL Marinas

Lucy52

Visit site
No, we get on well. I have never worked the system and I don't need to be evicted, just return to the boat, say the arrangement doesn't work any more and pay the extra to be a liveaboard. Only problem is it is a 90 minute commute to work on horrid roads and the current situation should be only temporary.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
The law is there to protect people from and not cause distress and harm. Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few but sometimes what's not right for an individual cannot be right for the majority. That means exceptions and a reasonable attitude are needed. In this case the law is getting in the way but it has provided you with a get out clause for exactly your predicament.

As you are sofa surfing it's determined already that you may overstay your welcome or there may be periods you cannot be there even if you are on good terms. The eviction notice is merely a note to say you can't be there for a certain period due to know reasons. (I.e you're using the guest room and a child normally uses that room when they come to stay or whatever). You have every reasonable excuse to return to your boat. However you probably won't be allowed of it easily.

Don't be afraid of using the system if they didn't want it used it wouldn't allow you to.

Please take caution and for your own and other's protection please maintain social distancing.

V1701

Visit site
I am sorry V1701 you forgot to mention, don't forget to sell, bequeath or otherwise dispose of any other property you own so that the boat is your only residence.
I got caught, I live on the boat over a long weekend and sofa surf with my daughter during the week as it is nearer my work. Now I am locked out of my boat with only a bag of clothes. Maybe I should just retire.

Sorry to hear that, hope you manage OK...

Uksailing

Visit site
Some interesting comments...! I don’t think anybody is intentionally having a go at genuine live aboard here, but the comments are more directed at MDL. I for one have lived aboard my boat in the past, but am not at the moment. Indeed if you do have a genuine reason to even now live aboard, then that should be allowed. The government has not said that we can’t, it is MDL that have made this decision to close the marina. This includes asking people to leave their boats who MDL determined should not be allowed to stay! They I am sure do not know everybody’s individual circumstances.
In our marina for example, they have asked some to leave and others are allowed to stay! How has that been determined, when we all have the same contract?
Add to that some of my original comments, as an annual berth holder that has paid up front... MDL now seem to be doing absolutely nothing for us as they have our money for the year! Where as some others have stated (think it was even on these forums) that they have been offered reduced winter rates!
It would be nice to see something back from MDL, as per what Dean & Redyhoff have done...but instead we seem to be largely ignored.... my a company that pride themselves on their service...!

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
MDL have not made the decision in isolation or in absence of government guidance. The restrictions have closed all caravan and holiday parks: the BMF consulted with the government on the topic and were advised that marinas should follow the same rules as caravan parks. Therefore most marinas are closed except for a small number of liveaboards, which are permitted under the general exemption for individuals who have nowhere else to go.
As to the offering of refunds, I’ll repeat here what I said in another thread. I’m a director of a holiday village. Our wages bill is only 20% or so of our expenditure. The remaining spend is virtually all on fixed costs: we might save a bit on our waste disposal contact but that’s about it. Of our staff, the office staff are working from home, one groundsman is working his normal 3 days a week and we’ve furloughed a full time groundsman, so our total saving is 80% of one manual worker. We have no debts to service so that’s not a factor.
It doesn’t take much to see that there’s not much leeway to be offering discounts or rebates to our cottage owners. I‘d expect that most marinas are going to be in a similar situation but with the additional costs involved in covering any financing arrangements, so there’s really not much scope in there for significant rebates or discounts.

Last edited:

FlyingGoose

Visit site
MDL have not made the decision in isolation or in absence of government guidance. The restrictions have closed all caravan and holiday parks: the BMF consulted with the government on the topic and were advised that marinas should follow the same rules as caravan parks. Therefore most marinas are closed except for a small number of liveaboards, which are permitted under the general exemption for individuals who have nowhere else to go.
As to the offering of refunds, I’ll repeat here what I said in another thread. I’m a director of a holiday village. Our wages bill is only 20% or so of our expenditure. The remaining spend is virtually all on fixed costs: we might save a bit on our waste disposal contact but that’s about it. Of our staff, the office staff are working from home, one groundsman is working his normal 3 days a week and we’ve furloughed a full time groundsman, so our total saving is 80% of one manual worker. We have no debts to service so that’s not a factor.
It doesn’t take much to see that there’s not much leeway to be offering discounts or rebates to our cottage owners. I‘d expect that most marinas are going to be in a similar situation but with the additional costs involved in covering any financing arrangements, so there’s really not much scope in there for significant rebates or discounts.
This would depend on the business involved, most businesses have cash reserves or funding in place , its called profit , that tends to make its way to share holders rich owners , or the board , there is rates relief, staff in marinas and yards can be up to 20 employees, this working from home . doing what , watching my boat as the thief's have a field day, on the web cam (yes I have already lost 2500 outboard with full staff .
Also you comparison of a holiday village which is an asset to the company were as my boat is my asset I am denied to use , also if my boat gets damaged in the marina a fender bursts a line wears through, as I cannot get to do my checks and the marinas have laid staff to a skeleton crew , I have no recompense to the marina according to their terms and conditions,
Were as I suspect your holiday park business has terms and conditions in case of cancellation , no shows , deposits, and unforeseen circumstances , also you would likely help out your clients as you would need their return custom, , have you given back their deposits to those booked over the Easter or have you kept their cash , no need to answer but there is my point . customer loyalty in any service industry is key,

As I have said in previous posts too many marinas have taken advantage of wealthy boat owners who tend not argue to much about price, I am always surprised with the amount of marina's on the Clyde how they all seem to keep their prices comparative to each other , exception to one or two . seems like a cartel , unlike when Virgin Atlantic came on the scene to cross the Atlantic and did it differently and better priced and service , scared a few big boys them -

Uksailing

Visit site
@duncan99210 Sorry to correct you here, but that is not quite correct. To quote from the RYA... The government has advised that marinas should be closed in line with caravan parks, although marina operators are not specifically required to do so under the regulation.
And no... I am not in anyway saying that we should all go rushing down to our boats... we should be staying at home where possible. That said, if you only live 5 minutes from your boat that what is the problem in walking down and checking on it...? (Appreciate this is not for everyone and many live far from their boats and this is not possible).
With regards to MDL though, my point is given that other marinas are able to offer things, it is surprising that MDL are not given the size of them. Plus the number of staff that they have now furloughed is far more than one in our home marina alone!

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Some rather unsubtle messages from MDL on Facebook book this morning with a collection of photos of police vehicles in their marinas enforcing 'lockdown'. Neither friendly, helpful nor necessary IMHO.

dom

Visit site
Some rather unsubtle messages from MDL on Facebook book this morning with a collection of photos of police vehicles in their marinas enforcing 'lockdown'. Neither friendly, helpful nor necessary IMHO.

Agree, the lockdown is absolutely necessary, but this kind of woke, curtain-twitching, virtual wittering is just silly.

Must not forget to call Scotland Yard's Serious Crime Unit today; I'm sure my neighbour sneaked out for a second run yesterday :mad:

WF36

Visit site

Saw that yesterday, typical MDL antics - I just vote with my feet.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site

What struck me was the amount of police resources in those photographs, were three cars and/or police vans at all necessary?

Blue Sunray

Visit site
This link may help you., have a read of the National Police advice and make your own mind up.

https://www.college.police.uk/What-..._8O0VAZPOyP_TuSeaD6Cv6UU43ZtE6usQBHCnpdr-lQCs

For the avoidance of doubt I have no issue with the police enforcing the rules, nor with the fact that leisure boating is not in keeping with the current situation. What I think is a trifle unnecessary and definitely not conducive to good customer relations is MDLs decision to post a set of photos of police vehicles sitting in their marinas across all their Facebook pages with a caption including "The police are on patrol issuing fines..". If there is a problem with some of their clients breaking the travel rules (as may well be the case from some of attitudes displayed in the posts on these fora) they should speak with the individuals, they can easily identify them by their access cards/VRNs.

Last edited:
Reactions: dom

Concerto

Visit site
Just received this email from MDL:

"RE: COVID-19 Update from MDL Marinas

I hope that this letter finds you and your family well. As we enter the fourth week of the Government’s statutory restrictions and having spoken to many of you either personally or via one of our dedicated team in recent weeks, I wanted to write to you as our valued berth holders with an update on our management of the restrictions across the various elements of our business, and how we might be able to go further to help you in the coming weeks.

Before I do that, a personal thank you from me for those that have followed the restrictions by staying at home. We have received regular visits in recent weeks by the Police, Border Force and Harbour Authorities, and I am encouraged to hear the stories of support by both them and you as berth holders and residents.

We, like you, found it especially challenging over the Easter weekend to see the sun shining and calm seas but not be able to go boating. By staying at home, you helped our core team onsite each day to continue carrying out their work and protecting your precious asset, while observing social distancing and keeping themselves safe.

MDL is a family owned business and we have been trading for over 45 years. Never before have we entered a summer period of such uncertainty. As well as berthing your boats and guarding them, the services we provide to you as our leisure users, lie too at the heart of our business: lifting boats; providing fuel; welcoming visiting and casual berth customers and parking cars. Turnover from this has fallen to almost zero since lockdown. In common with many other businesses, we have had to place some of our valuable and experienced team members into the Government’s job retention scheme because there is no work for them to do.

Some of you have asked how we are supporting our onsite businesses, some of whom continue to trade, and some who cannot. We have over 500 large and small commercial tenants across the MDL estate, many of whom are vital to providing you with great services for your boats. Please watch out for our various tenant focussed marketing campaigns and know that we are doing what we can as landlord, in line with leases, to support their cash flow where possible.

Whilst my team are onsite safeguarding your boats 24 hours a day, responding to queries and concerns, taking videos and pictures and getting the marinas ready for re-opening, we recognise that you are unable to use some of our services because of the Government restrictions. Some of you have told us about operators offering 50% off April’s berthing fees for some of their customers, a discount for them held against future services on their account. Some of you have asked individually about any support we can give as you are facing income challenges yourself.

Like all businesses and many of you personally, we await the outcome of Government support, full assistance with rates that has not yet been forthcoming and the job retention scheme is not yet open for applications.

For many of you, April was the start of your berthing season, a new contract year perhaps at a new MDL marina. I want to continue to invest in our marinas, keep our fantastic team employed and be able to provide the comprehensive range of services and benefits that we do today in the future. That is why right now, just 15 days into the season and 15 days into the berthing contract for some, is not the right time to add additional credits on account that you cannot use, or make a gesture now that reduces the enjoyment of our services you might have when the doors open again.

Therefore, I ask that you rest assured of two things: firstly, if you are facing significant difficulties paying your berthing fees and need individual guidance about berthing product options tailored to you and your circumstances, please contact our Sales and Marketing Director, Tim Mayer, on t.mayer@mdlmarinas.co.uk. Tim will call you at a time convenient for you to discuss how we might be able to help.

Second and most importantly, we recognise the importance of our customers and their loyalty. Whilst we must maintain our ability to pay staff, pay our banks and trade as well as we can, you are part of the lifeblood of our organisation. With that in mind, we are very much aware of the need to support our customers whilst ensuring that we remain in business for the long term. As soon as the picture becomes clear, we hope to be able to reward your loyalty. How, in what format and when, will only become clear once we know how long the Government restrictions will go on - an unknown for all of us at this time.

Please do keep talking to us directly; if you would like to hear more from us please email, I know some of you have found it frustrating if our responses are not always immediate, but rest assured, my team are working 24 hours to respond to you and will get to your queries as soon as they can.

I wish you a safe and healthy few weeks ahead, thank you again for your ongoing support and promise that I will update you again in the not too distant future.

With best wishes

Michael Glanville

Managing Director"

The last paragraphs seem to show something will be offered to berth holders.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Just received this email from MDL:

"RE: COVID-19 Update from MDL Marinas

I hope that this letter finds you and your family well. As we enter the fourth week of the Government’s statutory restrictions and having spoken to many of you either personally or via one of our dedicated team in recent weeks, I wanted to write to you as our valued berth holders with an update on our management of the restrictions across the various elements of our business, and how we might be able to go further to help you in the coming weeks.

Before I do that, a personal thank you from me for those that have followed the restrictions by staying at home. We have received regular visits in recent weeks by the Police, Border Force and Harbour Authorities, and I am encouraged to hear the stories of support by both them and you as berth holders and residents.

We, like you, found it especially challenging over the Easter weekend to see the sun shining and calm seas but not be able to go boating. By staying at home, you helped our core team onsite each day to continue carrying out their work and protecting your precious asset, while observing social distancing and keeping themselves safe.

MDL is a family owned business and we have been trading for over 45 years. Never before have we entered a summer period of such uncertainty. As well as berthing your boats and guarding them, the services we provide to you as our leisure users, lie too at the heart of our business: lifting boats; providing fuel; welcoming visiting and casual berth customers and parking cars. Turnover from this has fallen to almost zero since lockdown. In common with many other businesses, we have had to place some of our valuable and experienced team members into the Government’s job retention scheme because there is no work for them to do.

Some of you have asked how we are supporting our onsite businesses, some of whom continue to trade, and some who cannot. We have over 500 large and small commercial tenants across the MDL estate, many of whom are vital to providing you with great services for your boats. Please watch out for our various tenant focussed marketing campaigns and know that we are doing what we can as landlord, in line with leases, to support their cash flow where possible.

Whilst my team are onsite safeguarding your boats 24 hours a day, responding to queries and concerns, taking videos and pictures and getting the marinas ready for re-opening, we recognise that you are unable to use some of our services because of the Government restrictions. Some of you have told us about operators offering 50% off April’s berthing fees for some of their customers, a discount for them held against future services on their account. Some of you have asked individually about any support we can give as you are facing income challenges yourself.

Like all businesses and many of you personally, we await the outcome of Government support, full assistance with rates that has not yet been forthcoming and the job retention scheme is not yet open for applications.

For many of you, April was the start of your berthing season, a new contract year perhaps at a new MDL marina. I want to continue to invest in our marinas, keep our fantastic team employed and be able to provide the comprehensive range of services and benefits that we do today in the future. That is why right now, just 15 days into the season and 15 days into the berthing contract for some, is not the right time to add additional credits on account that you cannot use, or make a gesture now that reduces the enjoyment of our services you might have when the doors open again.

Therefore, I ask that you rest assured of two things: firstly, if you are facing significant difficulties paying your berthing fees and need individual guidance about berthing product options tailored to you and your circumstances, please contact our Sales and Marketing Director, Tim Mayer, on t.mayer@mdlmarinas.co.uk. Tim will call you at a time convenient for you to discuss how we might be able to help.

Second and most importantly, we recognise the importance of our customers and their loyalty. Whilst we must maintain our ability to pay staff, pay our banks and trade as well as we can, you are part of the lifeblood of our organisation. With that in mind, we are very much aware of the need to support our customers whilst ensuring that we remain in business for the long term. As soon as the picture becomes clear, we hope to be able to reward your loyalty. How, in what format and when, will only become clear once we know how long the Government restrictions will go on - an unknown for all of us at this time.

Please do keep talking to us directly; if you would like to hear more from us please email, I know some of you have found it frustrating if our responses are not always immediate, but rest assured, my team are working 24 hours to respond to you and will get to your queries as soon as they can.

I wish you a safe and healthy few weeks ahead, thank you again for your ongoing support and promise that I will update you again in the not too distant future.

With best wishes

Michael Glanville

Managing Director"

The last paragraphs seem to show something will be offered to berth holders.
A great letter and good service well done for that , makes sense for the business also to see how the lock down lasts and the benefits from the government then they can assess the needs of their customers .. (y)

Blue Sunray

Visit site
In MDL's latest Facebook PR triumph they've spammed all their accounts with pictures of their staff " out checking
?
Lines, Fenders, Electrics and Covers every day
". The same photos for every marina and some of the staff pictured left several years ago. Well done MDL, yet again you're taking your clients for mugs.

Last edited:

xyachtdave

Visit site
In MDL's latest Facebook PR triumph they've spammed all their accounts with pictures of their staff " out checking
?
Lines, Fenders, Electrics and Covers every day
". The same photos for every marina and some of the staff pictured left several years ago. Well done MDL, yet again you're taking your clients for mug.

That’s tragic.

Unfortunately someone will be along soon to defend them in the YBW ‘I bought this boat’ or ‘use this marina’ so it must be best etc way.