MDL Freedom Berthers

alandalus11

Visit site
In my view I sincerely believe its down to the management of the marina and their incompetence. The marina's I stay at on a regular basis over the last 15 years have no end of staff turnover. The staff that are now employed don't have a clue as far as I am concerned. There is a marina on the east coast which we visit on a regular basis and each time I call to book a berth I always get the reply after a deep intake of breath, "Not Sure If We Can Fit You In". When we eventually do get a berth we find the marina is 1/4 empty where boats are still on the hard or just berths not sold. It is the staff in the offices that really don't have their finger on the pulse or know which berths are empty and why. I agree that more people are not going away and have taken up boating this and last year in some places so that adds to the problem but I also believe the administration is lacking as well.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
In my view I sincerely believe its down to the management of the marina and their incompetence. The marina's I stay at on a regular basis over the last 15 years have no end of staff turnover. The staff that are now employed don't have a clue as far as I am concerned. There is a marina on the east coast which we visit on a regular basis and each time I call to book a berth I always get the reply after a deep intake of breath, "Not Sure If We Can Fit You In". When we eventually do get a berth we find the marina is 1/4 empty where boats are still on the hard or just berths not sold. It is the staff in the offices that really don't have their finger on the pulse or know which berths are empty and why. I agree that more people are not going away and have taken up boating this and last year in some places so that adds to the problem but I also believe the administration is lacking as well.
Sounds about right

Blue Sunray

Visit site
I'm sat in what I'm told by MDL is the UK's only 5 star marina at the moment and staffing certainly seems to be an issue. The Dock office has been locked up and empty for a couple of hours, I've sat on deck watching a succession of arrivals walk up and try the door. However investment is also lacking, we had to dig out the doubler as there are not enough supply points on the dockside and the aboultions would not have looked out of place on Carry on Camping, though I suspect they had more than two stalls and two showers open on that great film.

As for the WiFi...

jeni

Visit site
It is hard to see the benefits of changing to Otium despite the hype. Just my opinion but you are "locked in" so if you dont use MDL for fuel or visiting or lift outs etc you dont "earn" anything back.

I have been reading through the MDL Otium questions and the glaring problem is NO FREE nights AT ALL! You have to pay to visit another MDL and its really expensive! For us its approx £5.45 a metre (depending on the Marina)! BUT you do get 20% back! Same with Fuel "earn" a percentage back. OK ! but WHAT if I dont want to renew my contract next year with MDL and we dont need a lift out do I get a Cash refund of all the credits I have amassed? No one seems to know for sure but I bet the answer is no.

Some Bertholders seem to be under the impression Otium is "cheaper" to berth the boat - Not according to MDL Q&A it clearly states "Our Otium and Freedom Berthing packages are priced the same" This has GOT to be addressed - why bother changing to Otium if its not cheaper than Freedom? May as well stay with Freedom just in case you want to visit another MDL marina or need a lift out at another one etc. I understand some Bertholders NEVER use freedom berthing but even so as Freedom you get a fuel and lift out discount anyway!

If you pay early to get a discount it also says "Both packages currently off an early payment discount, however this is only a promotional offer for Otium and will not be offered as standard" So AGAIN Freedom wins here!

So lets do the maths - say its £10K to berth your boat on both Otium and Freedom. Most years you do approx 30 nights at another MDL marina each year and now it will cost me £79 a night thats an extra £2370.00..... BUT ! You get a whole 20% back so I would earn myself £474.00 back on next years mooring fees.

So our annual moorings for the year increases to £11,896 if we want to visit other MDL Marinas for 30 nights. Or am I missing something? I am being penalised for wanting to moor at an MDL Marina. It will increase your annual mooring fees even if you visit another MDL marina for just 2 nights by £127 a year!

Its £5.00 a night at Swanwick Marina and all the other Premier Marinas for us are £3.70-£3.90 a Metre a night and I get a free night at Boat folk after 6 nights which is a discount of 10% !

All the other marinas "families" offer free nights within the same brand. There have been many new MDL "ideas" over the last 25 years plus we have been with MDL but this one is seriously going down like a lead balloon! I dont think MDL are listening either as they just keep defending it online. Many MDL Bertholders have voiced concerns that they will be forced to change to Otium and some who have changed their boats are being told that the new contracts for the new boat will be changed to Otium! They have had to kick up a fuss according to online posts.

Where is the "APP" for berthing we were promised many years ago and the WIFI is so poor we have our own onboard with Alexa for £25 a month (Unlimited with 3) So we can watch Netflix or Amazon Prime without the constant buffering circle! Where are the new electric car charging points? Most of them dont work properly and there are complaints about people leaving their cars there all day so no one else can charge their cars. I am thinking of changing my car to Electric in the next 3 years so this will be very important to me.

Saying all that we love the staff at Shamrock and we are lucky we have had the same staff for years - The Night watchmen are fantastic and really helpful and its makes for a much more secure marina. I understand that it is not the same at every MDL Marina though. We generally find the staff are great at Ocean Village and most of the Hamble and when we visited Torquay (By Car) the Manager there was really lovely.

There has been a boom in boat buying but its a "covid" phase - A friend of mine bought a boat last year as they could not go abroad but they have never used it ! Bit like the rush on hot tubs! Things will settle down once foreign holidays are permitted and boat owners can sail off to Europe again.

It will be interesting to see what happens within the Marina Industry in the next few years and IF the Marina chains listen to the customers. The general opinion of Otium is it a underhand way of getting more money from Bertholders and thats the general opinion online. Like it or not many Bertholders feel that way. You also cannot see how much it is to berth anymore online as no rates are advertised except visiting and monthly etc and you have to enquire.

We have been asked if we are Otium or Freedom when trying to book a berth. MDL says its to ensure the correct price package is applied??

I have attached a link where I got my info from (Please remove if its not allowed) Forum FAQ's - MDL Marinas

Blue Sunray

Visit site
It is hard to see the benefits of changing to Otium despite the hype. Just my opinion but you are "locked in" so if you dont use MDL for fuel or visiting or lift outs etc you dont "earn" anything back.

I have been reading through the MDL Otium questions and the glaring problem is NO FREE nights AT ALL! You have to pay to visit another MDL and its really expensive! For us its approx £5.45 a metre (depending on the Marina)! BUT you do get 20% back! Same with Fuel "earn" a percentage back. OK ! but WHAT if I dont want to renew my contract next year with MDL and we dont need a lift out do I get a Cash refund of all the credits I have amassed? No one seems to know for sure but I bet the answer is no.

Some Bertholders seem to be under the impression Otium is "cheaper" to berth the boat - Not according to MDL Q&A it clearly states "Our Otium and Freedom Berthing packages are priced the same" This has GOT to be addressed - why bother changing to Otium if its not cheaper than Freedom? May as well stay with Freedom just in case you want to visit another MDL marina or need a lift out at another one etc. I understand some Bertholders NEVER use freedom berthing but even so as Freedom you get a fuel and lift out discount anyway!

If you pay early to get a discount it also says "Both packages currently off an early payment discount, however this is only a promotional offer for Otium and will not be offered as standard" So AGAIN Freedom wins here!

So lets do the maths - say its £10K to berth your boat on both Otium and Freedom. Most years you do approx 30 nights at another MDL marina each year and now it will cost me £79 a night thats an extra £2370.00..... BUT ! You get a whole 20% back so I would earn myself £474.00 back on next years mooring fees.

So our annual moorings for the year increases to £11,896 if we want to visit other MDL Marinas for 30 nights. Or am I missing something? I am being penalised for wanting to moor at an MDL Marina. It will increase your annual mooring fees even if you visit another MDL marina for just 2 nights by £127 a year!

Its £5.00 a night at Swanwick Marina and all the other Premier Marinas for us are £3.70-£3.90 a Metre a night and I get a free night at Boat folk after 6 nights which is a discount of 10% !

All the other marinas "families" offer free nights within the same brand. There have been many new MDL "ideas" over the last 25 years plus we have been with MDL but this one is seriously going down like a lead balloon! I dont think MDL are listening either as they just keep defending it online. Many MDL Bertholders have voiced concerns that they will be forced to change to Otium and some who have changed their boats are being told that the new contracts for the new boat will be changed to Otium! They have had to kick up a fuss according to online posts.

Where is the "APP" for berthing we were promised many years ago and the WIFI is so poor we have our own onboard with Alexa for £25 a month (Unlimited with 3) So we can watch Netflix or Amazon Prime without the constant buffering circle! Where are the new electric car charging points? Most of them dont work properly and there are complaints about people leaving their cars there all day so no one else can charge their cars. I am thinking of changing my car to Electric in the next 3 years so this will be very important to me.

Saying all that we love the staff at Shamrock and we are lucky we have had the same staff for years - The Night watchmen are fantastic and really helpful and its makes for a much more secure marina. I understand that it is not the same at every MDL Marina though. We generally find the staff are great at Ocean Village and most of the Hamble and when we visited Torquay (By Car) the Manager there was really lovely.

There has been a boom in boat buying but its a "covid" phase - A friend of mine bought a boat last year as they could not go abroad but they have never used it ! Bit like the rush on hot tubs! Things will settle down once foreign holidays are permitted and boat owners can sail off to Europe again.

It will be interesting to see what happens within the Marina Industry in the next few years and IF the Marina chains listen to the customers. The general opinion of Otium is it a underhand way of getting more money from Bertholders and thats the general opinion online. Like it or not many Bertholders feel that way. You also cannot see how much it is to berth anymore online as no rates are advertised except visiting and monthly etc and you have to enquire.

We have been asked if we are Otium or Freedom when trying to book a berth. MDL says its to ensure the correct price package is applied??

I have attached a link where I got my info from (Please remove if its not allowed) Forum FAQ's - MDL Marinas

I can't see anything to take issue with there. I'd be interested to see if cross posting it on 'Even Keel' generates a response from them.

Reality61

Visit site
I feel that the option of FB will be gone soon they have clearly sold Otium at senior level by the number of boats that move and use FB.

The number of FB berths used (Say at £45 a night aversage ) multiplied by the number of nights (Thousands of nights as a company) equals X lost revenue. Multiply the same number, give 15% back as a credit, company now makes 85% more money !!!!! Great Marketing some would say !

Its all about the money, customer satifaction is at an all time low, I work in many marinas like VP and have spoken to many from other MDL marinas and the same issues are at most MDL marinas. Temp Zero hours staff, lack of staff, high turnover of staff, old facilities not maintained (After all they did have 18 months to do it whilst closed it would be hard to arrange !!! ) capitol expenditure questioned, defered and refused, possibly at an all time low (What about now we cant get more mould in the silicone) Wifi poor.

More and more boats have holding tanks and I cant think that there are many pump out facilities within the group, we are falling way behind, for the leading company that MDL was seems to have dropped the ball and yet it could be so good, consult us the users would be a great idea and starting point, This is the first time in my boating life that I feel like a cash cow, concerning going forward but lets hope we get light at the end of the tunnel who knows !!

Elessar

Visit site
I feel that the option of FB will be gone soon they have clearly sold Otium at senior level by the number of boats that move and use FB.

The number of FB berths used (Say at £45 a night aversage ) multiplied by the number of nights (Thousands of nights as a company) equals X lost revenue. Multiply the same number, give 15% back as a credit, company now makes 85% more money !!!!! Great Marketing some would say !

Its all about the money, customer satifaction is at an all time low, I work in many marinas like VP and have spoken to many from other MDL marinas and the same issues are at most MDL marinas. Temp Zero hours staff, lack of staff, high turnover of staff, old facilities not maintained (After all they did have 18 months to do it whilst closed it would be hard to arrange !!! ) capitol expenditure questioned, defered and refused, possibly at an all time low (What about now we cant get more mould in the silicone) Wifi poor.

More and more boats have holding tanks and I cant think that there are many pump out facilities within the group, we are falling way behind, for the leading company that MDL was seems to have dropped the ball and yet it could be so good, consult us the users would be a great idea and starting point, This is the first time in my boating life that I feel like a cash cow, concerning going forward but lets hope we get light at the end of the tunnel who knows !!
I don’t recognise the MDL you describe.

In my experience the staff are lovely. It’s always clean and tidy. Faults are dealt with in a timely manner.

My beef is with Otium.

I reckon it’s a price increase of £4-5000 when all benefits are compared for my usage. It’s not just the overnights. My lift out was £1300+ when I was accidentally billed the Otium price. £600 and something when corrected onto freedom. But its ok I get some points to spend on fuel that will have gone up by 20p+…….

The way it’s being promoted is dishonest. It’s all marketing bunkum and very few facts. Not even their own staff understand it.

And now it feels like there is a top down directive to force us all onto Otium.

Come on MDL tell me I’m wrong. I’ll then go back to saying how good you are

paul salliss

Visit site
No organisation is perfect including MDL, however I have been impressed with them and in particular since the pandemic began so to all the moaners I say buggerooo, we are all boating in a pandemic and for that I am just grateful and happy ( Freedom berthing is the way to go )

Reality61

Visit site
It is interesting that some think the pandemic was handled well by MDL ?

How can a business that had 87% of its money in (The discounted rate take up) by Jan 15th 2020, all the others paying monthly.
Then furlow the majority of staff (With all the money in) close the marina to all including initially tenants (When they complained they opened up but as no staff no lifting) so no new work, boats delayed out and anodes in some cases gone, boats needed extra maintenance due to all the cancelled lifts extra costs incurred.
There way of helping tenants instead of paying quarterly you can pay monthly ! Facilities closed no outgoinngs, ideal oportunity like other chains to refurb, some staff still even now on furlough shortage of staff as marinas are full.
I know of a customer that had two jet ski berths without jet skis on as they were in his garage. MDL said that he could not have a refund as they were available to use ? Got money back for his boat for no use, no security issue as they were at home just empty pods. Not the money in his case just the lack of principle.
Other chains handled better.

The staff are great never a problem, just the restraints they are all working under is the questionable bit.

Marketing have pulled a fast one maybe they are on a bonus rerlated to OTIUM !!

We are seeing the erossion of the benefits that we all enjoy, apparently some abused the system. Well limit the number of days free, dont penilize us all for the few who are never at there home marina. For those that remember that is how Bronze, Silver and Gold account holders had benefits credited to them.

Be the marina chain we know you were when we all became loyal customers, Get back to being the best !! and once again market leader, listen to your loyal customer base.

ST840

Visit site
It is interesting that some think the pandemic was handled well by MDL ?

How can a business that had 87% of its money in (The discounted rate take up) by Jan 15th 2020, all the others paying monthly.
Then furlow the majority of staff (With all the money in) close the marina to all including initially tenants (When they complained they opened up but as no staff no lifting) so no new work, boats delayed out and anodes in some cases gone, boats needed extra maintenance due to all the cancelled lifts extra costs incurred.
There way of helping tenants instead of paying quarterly you can pay monthly ! Facilities closed no outgoinngs, ideal oportunity like other chains to refurb, some staff still even now on furlough shortage of staff as marinas are full.
I know of a customer that had two jet ski berths without jet skis on as they were in his garage. MDL said that he could not have a refund as they were available to use ? Got money back for his boat for no use, no security issue as they were at home just empty pods. Not the money in his case just the lack of principle.
Other chains handled better.

The staff are great never a problem, just the restraints they are all working under is the questionable bit.

Marketing have pulled a fast one maybe they are on a bonus rerlated to OTIUM !!

We are seeing the erossion of the benefits that we all enjoy, apparently some abused the system. Well limit the number of days free, dont penilize us all for the few who are never at there home marina. For those that remember that is how Bronze, Silver and Gold account holders had benefits credited to them.

Be the marina chain we know you were when we all became loyal customers, Get back to being the best !! and once again market leader, listen to your loyal customer base.
I hope you have sent this to their top dogs?