MDL Freedom Berthers

Newbroom

Visit site
The shortage of moorings this year is making Freedom berthing increasingly difficult.
I am hoping to visit the West Country this year and was wondering if any MDL Freedom berther in the West Country fancied a berth swap for the Solent for a few weeks.
I can see otherwise having to spend more time hanging on the hook.

Boat2016

Visit site
A friend who has a freedom berthing package says MDL are trying to phase it out in favour of optimum where as usual it’s a way of raising the costs so it sounds like a way to put people off by making it almost impossible to use so they are forced to change. Hopefully this will bite them on the a*** once things quieten down and there’s more choice.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Sad to hear this .
over the last year marina operations have never been so easy for them .
staff paid by the government with no loss on berthing fees , infact a massive upturn in demand for berths a result from the lack of foreign travel . Reduced running costs everywhere.
Why they adapt this attitude I do not know .
It’s pure greed.

Elessar

Visit site
The shortage of moorings this year is making Freedom berthing increasingly difficult.
I am hoping to visit the West Country this year and was wondering if any MDL Freedom berther in the West Country fancied a berth swap for the Solent for a few weeks.
I can see otherwise having to spend more time hanging on the hook.
You can’t get a new Freedom berthing contract any more you have to get Otium. Legacy Freedom customers can retain it on the face of it.

Otium is clouded in marketing clap trap and it is difficult to figure what you get. But get to the bottom of it and you will realise it is a terrible, terrible deal compared with the freedom package.

There is obviously a top down directive to sell Otium packages , but they can only tell you is a good deal with their fingers crossed behind their back.

If they take Freedom berthing away, overtly or by stealth, then I will most definitely leave MDL.

And by stealth I mean by making berths unavailable. I do hope there isn’t a top down directive to make them unavailable. They could do this by accounting means, for example if they decree that the marina keep the spoils of an Otium overnight but gets nothing for a freedom overnight.

I hope it isn’t true. I like MDL. But Otium is nothing but a significant price rise, and it makes it too expensive for me.

Medic

Visit site
I have noticed a distinct change in approach to Freedom Berthing this year. In previous years, reasonable notice and advance booking was straightforward and easy, and arranged through my home MDL marina.

Not so this year.

Firstly, I had to contact other marinas directly. Two of the three contacted didn't even reply. The one that did said that they could not offer any berth in advance - and on ringing I was told that I could ring the day before only, with no guarantees.

Secondly, although Freedom Berthing offers up to 30 days consecutive berthing as a visitor subject to a berth being available, one marina dockmaster told me that they automatically refuse any request for more than 7 days.

Thirdly, although the Freedom Berthing agreement states that 30 consecutive days of car parking as a visitor is included, one marina has assured me (from two members of office staff) that car parking is only included when the boat is in the berth, so if you go sailing then you have to remove your car.

I understand that lockdown, staycations and cruising in home waters have all been pressures on the system. But the actions and approach exhibited by MDL to their Freedom Berthholders are more "Constrained" than "Freedom".

For me, much of the attraction of berthing with MDL over many years has been the flexibility of the Freedom Berthing package. My experience this year is that I feel there is a significant drop in the commitment to deliver on the Freedom berths, and certainly a perceived attitude that the Freedom berthing entitlement is at their discretion, rather than something they strive to honour.

Overall, really very disappointed this year and will be re-evaluating options when it comes to renewal.

Moonstruck

Visit site
I have noticed a distinct change in approach to Freedom Berthing this year. In previous years, reasonable notice and advance booking was straightforward and easy, and arranged through my home MDL marina.

Not so this year.

Firstly, I had to contact other marinas directly. Two of the three contacted didn't even reply. The one that did said that they could not offer any berth in advance - and on ringing I was told that I could ring the day before only, with no guarantees.

Secondly, although Freedom Berthing offers up to 30 days consecutive berthing as a visitor subject to a berth being available, one marina dockmaster told me that they automatically refuse any request for more than 7 days.

Thirdly, although the Freedom Berthing agreement states that 30 consecutive days of car parking as a visitor is included, one marina has assured me (from two members of office staff) that car parking is only included when the boat is in the berth, so if you go sailing then you have to remove your car.

I understand that lockdown, staycations and cruising in home waters have all been pressures on the system. But the actions and approach exhibited by MDL to their Freedom Berthholders are more "Constrained" than "Freedom".

For me, much of the attraction of berthing with MDL over many years has been the flexibility of the Freedom Berthing package. My experience this year is that I feel there is a significant drop in the commitment to deliver on the Freedom berths, and certainly a perceived attitude that the Freedom berthing entitlement is at their discretion, rather than something they strive to honour.

Overall, really very disappointed this year and will be re-evaluating options when it comes to renewal.
Couldn’t agree more. MDL seem to be operating in a degree of chaos! Yes it’s busy but there simply doesn’t seem to be enough staff. I have been told that staff numbers have had to be reduced . Part of the problem also seems to be that their systems seem very antiquated and they don’t have a clue who is in their home berth and who is away. Our marina has dozens of empty berths but they say they are full and cannot accept visitors!
Freedom berthing is one of the main MDL benefits and whilst we have been able to visit some other marinas it has been a real hassle and I think this may be our last year. Time for a change perhaps??

Elessar

Visit site

Not so this year.

It seems they are trying to force you onto Otium which is a terrible terrible deal.
I will be one of many that leaves MDL if I can’t keep my freedom berthing deal.
Having said that so far so good for me and bookings.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
MDL and Premier sure to take a hit these days , well that’s what happens when small companies get big .
it’s the fact they try and run the companies with less staff , or more the point they don’t bring them back after furlough or so they keep telling me .
I visit all the Marins in my job , I can tell you there are less than a handful that are welcoming to outside contractors , one of the nicest are Lymington Yacht haven , they have a system where they give you the berth holder half back at the visitor rate at the end of the year should they use your berth when away , no politics no silly schemes just plain and English . Now why don’t the rest operate this system rather than schemes that by the sounds of it don’t work .

I do not hear complaints about Dean and Reddyhoff either , it’s always the big 2.

Visit site
The main problem is that because you cannot use freedom berthing within the group, most berth holders now do not tell the marina they are going to be away for a few nights, so a vicious circle starts to happen.
I like what Lymington does, it rewards both sides.

ST840

Visit site
The main problem is that because you cannot use freedom berthing within the group, most berth holders now do not tell the marina they are going to be away for a few nights, so a vicious circle starts to happen.
Ive just had a look at lymington yacht haven and it’s £1500 more expensive than MDL. Where is the benefit to that?

Visit site
Ive just had a look at lymington yacht haven and it’s £1500 more expensive than MDL. Where is the benefit to that?
What I meant is that if MDL gave some benefit to telling the marina that your berth was not being used and someone else could use it, surely that is a win / win

ST840

Visit site
What I meant is that if MDL gave some benefit to telling the marina that your berth was not being used and someone else could use it, surely that is a win / win
According to the office in our marina, there are NO spare berths at all except for one 15m berth and a couple of 6m. Maybe that’s why there is no freedom berthing space, too many boats and not enough berths.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
According to the office in our marina, there are NO spare berths at all except for one 15m berth and a couple of 6m. Maybe that’s why there is no freedom berthing space, too many boats and not enough berths.
The space available is down to management skills , Berth holders inform the marina on departure and return , the berth is free for visitors.
Now you can bet your life the spaces would be welcome to non MDL berth holders on priority as they will earn more .

ST840

Visit site
The space available is down to management skills , Berth holders inform the marina on departure and return , the berth is free for visitors.
Now you can bet your life the spaces would be welcome to non MDL berth holders on priority as they will earn more .
Cynical but probably correct.

Elessar

Visit site
Shamrock have started the scheme that used to work successfully in the pre freedom days of reciprocal nights. Every night you tell them you will be away for you go in a draw for a meaningful prize.