MD2030-oil leakage from throttle arm

Moodysailor

Visit site
Hi, it's the internal o-ring that has gone, as others have mentioned.

It's a proper fiddly bugger of a job, so only take it on yourself if you have good technical skills - it requires taking off the entire front cover, and the lever arm is connected to the fuel injection pump. Whilst it's not 'difficult' as such, it does require a good amount of mechanical sympathy and patience, and can cause some expensive damage if you mess it up.

If in doubt, find a good mechanic (or someone who knows those engines or has done the job before) to do it for you and break open the wallet. Or try a "fix" - but i've never seen those work long term.

Moodysailor

Visit site
Not sure what constitutes long term, but my fix has been good for over 220 motoring hours so far.

Hey, if it works for you then great. I spent a great deal of my time as a marine engineer on Perkins and Volvo Penta engines, so I would go a different route. To each is own though, we have different views on this which I respect.

Personally, yes I still consider this a 'fix'. 220hrs maybe long time in the leisure sailing world, but is nothing in the grand scheme on an engine's lifetime. Sorry to be a party-pooper.

lustyd

Visit site
Reviving a very old thread as some of the links are dead and I need to sort this. Can anyone provide a current link to the diagrams and parts? Also anyone know which page of the workshop manual I need?

VicS

Visit site
Reviving a very old thread as some of the links are dead and I need to sort this. Can anyone provide a current link to the diagrams and parts? Also anyone know which page of the workshop manual I need?
Official parts lists and diagrams can be found at
Volvo Penta parts and accessories - MarinePartsEurope.com

All the previous links seem to open that page. You don't say what version of MD2030 you have so cannot offer a direct link to the section you require. You will have to navigate to it from the home page.

Google finds several links to the workshop manual.

lustyd

Visit site
Thanks VicS yes I have the manual, and have an MD2040. What I lack is the diagram to show me which bits I need to work on. I'm reasonably mechanically minded but not worked much on engines aside from swapping a starter motor which was pretty obvious. I tried looking for throttle in the manual but didn't come up with much useful, and there's nothing on the webpage that's related to the throttle that is anywhere near the engine since it just shows the controls

Ammonite

Visit site
Thanks VicS yes I have the manual, and have an MD2040. What I lack is the diagram to show me which bits I need to work on. I'm reasonably mechanically minded but not worked much on engines aside from swapping a starter motor which was pretty obvious. I tried looking for throttle in the manual but didn't come up with much useful, and there's nothing on the webpage that's related to the throttle that is anywhere near the engine since it just shows the controls
I can't help you with any detailed instructions/ diagrams covering the entire process but post #8 describes what is involved pretty well. The workshop manual also describes how to remove the injection pump which aside from the crankshaft pulley is the only tricky bit. When it comes to the crankshaft pulley it's worth investing in a harmonic puller rather than the three legged claw variety as you risk breaking the casting with the latter. You'll also need a serious torque wrench capable of 250 Ib ft when refitting the pulley.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
I think the diagram you want is the "regulation system" diagram in the "fuel system" pages of the parts list.

lustyd

Visit site
Thanks that's a great start, I think I should be able to find my way from there. If not I may be better off finding a real engineer anyway!