May I go to the boat at the weekend please ?

TwoHooter

Visit site

[2068]

Visit site

TwoHooter

Visit site
More sensationalist headlines again from the press, she was very quick to correct the loaded question from the journalist, she did not say the lockdown could last six months, just that it might take six months to get back to normal.
Phew!
I was just going by the report on the Telegraph website and at the time I read it the qualification was not there.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Just in:
Speaking at the daily Downing Street press conference, Dr Jenny Harries said that it could be six months or longer before "we can get back to normal".
Coronavirus latest news: At least six months before UK 'can get back to normal', Deputy Chief Medical Officer says

What condition will our boats be in if we cannot clean the topsides, check the bilges and pumps, clean the fridges, and charge the batteries for 6 months?

Wise people do not listen to the press now or generally.... Al they do is spread alarm and worry..... We don't need that at the moment.....

Look at the good things around you and focus on them there are always several if you look

Greg2

Visit site
Rappey, where did you get that list of reasons for leaving the home?
Because it's NOT the same text as the actual regulations. The actual regulations are here:
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

I understand those who say we should be complying with the spirit of the regulations, not the letter.
But at the end of the day we all have to make up our own minds what to do and the best starting point is the actual law, not an invented version of it.
I keep coming across so-called law which has been invented by someone who hasn't read the actual law. It's not just the coronavirus legislation, it happens all the time.
I prefer to read the actual law, and abide by that.
By the way, I am not taking sides in the argument about whether or not MartynG ought to have gone to his boat.

I should start by saying that I am supportive of the necessary restrictions and I do not support the ‘creative accounting’ employed by some to justify activities that clearly fall outside the spirit of the regulation. However, as I said in my earlier post #17, the Govt have said that they want people to make pragmatic decisions in line with spirit of the rules.

The difficulty with writing rules is that foreseeing every conceivable circumstance is virtually impossible and so legislation often accounts for this. In this case the regulation start as follows:

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse
includes the need—.......

The list of things that are considered to be a ‘reasonable excuse’ follow but the key point is that 6(2) specifically states that ‘reasonable excuse’ includes the list of things that follow. So therefore the list is not exhaustive but it does provide a clear steer.

Now I am certainly not advocating that everyone should start dreaming up excuses but the situation is not black and white so, for example, going to a boat in circumstances where it is essential and social distancing is observed could be argued to be a ‘reasonable excuse’. A sinking boat would might well win the argument. Periodic checks to ensure it is safe might, or might not.

All a bit theoretical because the likelihood of it reaching a court is low as current Police policy is to engage, explain, encourage and only enforce as a last resort. Not that this should be seen as a reason to ‘risk it!’

In the case of the OP simply checking his boat during specifically permitted daily exercise whilst exercising social distancing is, I would think, not much different from our daily walk though the village, along the river or in the surrounding countryside in terms of risk of catching or spreading the virus. Perhaps crucially, it isn’t an extra activity.

I just wish our boat was within walking distance! ?

Last edited: