• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

IN ADDITION it seems that conspiracy theories are finding their way onto the forum. This is not the place for such content. Users who post it may find their access limited or permanently suspended. Please leave it where you find it.

Max Power CT100 bow thruster not working - switch flashing & beeping

Skylark

Season launch was Friday and over winter the Max Power CT100 bow thruster has stopped working. It's batteries are fully charged. Normal procedure is to simultaneously press both port and starboard switches for one second, with engine running, and it becomes energised. There's a green LED in the middle of the port switch to confirm.

Pressing the two switches now gives 5 beeps and 5 flashes of the green LED. No power to the bow thruster.

The boat was launched in August 2013. All connections look clean and intact.

The Troubleshooting guide makes no reference to this and Google doesn't seem to recognise it, either.

I'm going to send an e-mail to Max Power in Italy but, hopefully, a helpful formumite may hold the key!

Any ideas, please?

Many thanks.

PhilS

Cambridge, Sail from River Orwell on East Coast
Hello,
I am bringing back this old thread to find out what happened as I have exactly the same problem. The boat was put back in the water on Wednesday. When I tried the bow thruster this morning everything was as in the thread a year ago. My installation is also 2013. It seems to have lasted a year longer!
Can you say what you found out and any advice on fixing it?
Many thanks!
Phil

Skylark

Hi Phil,
My problem was a faulty temperature sensor. An easy DIY fix for less than £20. The Italian manufacturer put me in contact with their UK Distributor, A R Peachment of Norfolk. An incredibly helpful guy, Steve Aldridge, diagnosed the problem and sold me a replacement sensor. I removed the old one, cut the wires and soldered the replacement in place.

Just to confirm that you have the same problem, try this. Near the top cover plate you'll see two small yellow wires coming out of the bow thruster body, led to plug. Simply unplug this, the sensor. The bowthruster should now work. The sensor is there to shut down the power when it over-heats.

To replace the sensor, carefully remove the top cover plate and unscrew it. The wiring goes through the cover plate and is a bit fiddly, I simply cut it and soldered the new one a couple of inches away from the (old) plug.

PhilS

Cambridge, Sail from River Orwell on East Coast
Hi David,
Many thanks! I will disconnect the sensor when I next go to the boat, hopefully next weekend. I will then give Steve Aldridge a call to arrange for a permanent fix.
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on this.
Best regards,
Phil

Skylark

Hi Phil,

I've found a picture of the faulty sensor. The top cover plate is removed but is still connected by the sheaved, yellow sensor wires. The (blue) sensor is removed by undoing the top nut. I cut the yellow wires near to the plug and soldered the new ones in place.

Hope this helps.

CGrann

Hi Phil,

I've found a picture of the faulty sensor. The top cover plate is removed but is still connected by the sheaved, yellow sensor wires. The (blue) sensor is removed by undoing the top nut. I cut the yellow wires near to the plug and soldered the new ones in place.

Hope this helps.

Hi all
Thx for this post! I also had the same issue when launching the boat and was frustrated that just because it had been on land for 6 months it was not working. Also a Goolge search did not help but this forum did:)
Two questions:
1) any thouhgts on why max power chose this - I mean if the wire breaks there are no protection? It is a NO switch but normally a wire detection safety will be with a NC switch?
2) replacement of coal? When do you do that? Mines has 1,2 cm left so guess it goes a long way. And where to buy coal?

penfold

Assuming you mean brushes, if Peachment or Max Power cannot provide spares then a motor refurbisher should be able to supply brushes, although they will probably want to see the motor.