Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder

Colvic Watson

Visit site
The Raymarine S3G and Cobra VHF were very happy with the NMEA output from the Matsutec but the Raymarine wouldn't accept the NMEA from the Garmin Fishfinder, despite having two NMEA inputs - isn't there something slightly odd about Garmin NMEA outputs being three wire or something?

The S3G wouldn't accept goto data from the Matsutec, largely irrelevant as we use the RL70C for that. Is the Matsutec sending AIS data as well as GPS? Interesting because if we got one of those NMEA to wifi thingies - maybe Angus will build one so we can display the AIS on an ipad?

Next plan is to permanently fix it in the wheelhouse and decide if I can be bothered to move the AIS aerial outside. My feeling is with almost 100% glass and 11 feet above the waterline, our wheelhouse interior ceiling is good enough. I'll mount it facing down, I assume that isn't a no no?

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
but the Raymarine wouldn't accept the NMEA from the Garmin Fishfinder, despite having two NMEA inputs - isn't there something slightly odd about Garmin NMEA outputs being three wire or something?

NMEA-0183 is a half baked mess. The transmit side used to be single ended like RS232 (data and ground), then half way through its life they bizarrely changed it to differential like RS422 (data +, data -). The receive side is neither RS232 nor RS422, but their own cobbled together thing that works with either.

The change happened around version 2 (now up to version 4). As well as the hardware specification changing the sentence format has evolved as well. Some manufacturers use the old version of hardware (i.e. single ended talkers) with the new version of sentence format. Garmin is one such manufacturer. There's a good reason for doing this because a single ended talker can be connected to a differential receiver safely but the other way round can be a bad idea. So a Garmin device, being a single ended talker, should be able to communicate with anything. Maybe it's talking in Garmin format sentences which on some of their devices is the default.

All this standard chaos (it's all NMEA's fault for changing their standard in a partially incompatible way) leaves manufacturers and YAPPists in a quandry as to quite what to do. My solution is to make a device talk both single ended and differential. Frank Wallenwein, my German rival, does the same.

Last edited:

Colvic Watson

Visit site
I checked, it's talking NMEA, unusually for a Garmin it can't talk in Garmin. The old Garmin GPS had a data out+ and data out- and you then also connected the -ve power supply to the data out- This effectively made it a three wire system. This Garmin Fishfinder seems to just have a blue data out+ and instructions to use the -ve power supply as the data out-

Not getting it to show on the Seatalk bus as the Matsutec GPS happily does.

Alpha22

Visit site
Not had much chance to play with settings and the Yeoman. I may just run that off my old Garmin. I'm not sure if I need an NEMA multiplexer??? I think the latest YAPP may solve the problem??? Now if I could get it to talk to openCPN or Navionics on the iPad for little cost....

I did receive this today from China...

Subject: Re: Matsutec HP 33A AIS

External buzzer : Voltage output 8V, tens of milliamps mA.

USB connection doesn't feed NMEA data, it is for software upgrade now.

I like the idea that there may be the possibility to upgrade the firmware in the future.

TSB240

Visit site
Interested in any more feed back on these units?

Does it have any facility for inset mounting into an instrument binnacle rather than using the surface swivel mount?

Alpha22

Visit site
No it does not look like it will panel mount.

With instructions from the manufacturer I have successfully updated the firmware on mine to the latest version.
You need an old USB cable (I used the cable from a dead mouse) Connected to the multiway cable, then upload it from a laptop.
I'll email instructions if you PM me.

hugh dale

Visit site
What are the new features of the updated firmware, where to find it? A company in New Zealand selling Matsutec AIS transponders says that the update procedure is not for the average user and can cause a complete system failure. I am very much an average user but would like to benefit from the updated firmware. Is the procedure risky, does using an old USB cable mean I cut it and connect it with the correct cables in the multiway cable that came with the transponder?

www.bavariayacht.info
USB on 6,7 and 8. I wonder what that is for??? Maybe future developments???

As has now been discovered, it is for firmware updates. The wiring instructions from the manufacturer are a bit misleading, so I've made my own, which they approved of (see image below).

Anyone know what type of plug this is?

Matsutec-AIS-HP-33A-Data-Cable_zps9d04c0dc.png~original

Last edited:
www.bavariayacht.info

Alpha22

Visit site
What are the new features of the updated firmware, where to find it? A company in New Zealand selling Matsutec AIS transponders says that the update procedure is not for the average user and can cause a complete system failure. I am very much an average user but would like to benefit from the updated firmware. Is the procedure risky, does using an old USB cable mean I cut it and connect it with the correct cables in the multiway cable that came with the transponder?

There are no new documented features in the updated firmware. Well, none that I have noticed. I think it is a general bug fix.

You are correct, the cut off old USB cable is connected to the main loom supplied with the unit. There is then a procedure to 'mount' the unit as a USB drive and then replace the firmware.

If you are not having any problems, I would not attempt to upgrade the firmware.

concentrik

Visit site
Turning internal alarm off

Is it possible to turn off the internal buzzer and just have the external alarm working? I've looked in the destruction manual without success. Every time a fishing boat moves a little the alarm goes off!

Bi111ion

Visit site
There are no new documented features in the updated firmware. Well, none that I have noticed. I think it is a general bug fix.

You are correct, the cut off old USB cable is connected to the main loom supplied with the unit. There is then a procedure to 'mount' the unit as a USB drive and then replace the firmware.

If you are not having any problems, I would not attempt to upgrade the firmware.
Does it fix the seeming bug that the Tx/Rx circles in the display never do anything?

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Anyone else had the problem that it doesn't save a custom CPA? After power off it seems to keep resetting to a distance of about 3.6 miles which is silly and sets off lots of alarms.

halb

Visit site
Hi all, now you have had this unit for a little while and I assume that it is being used, does it do what you all expected and have there been any problems, I ask as I'm contemplating getting one.
Any//all comments will be appreciated.
Jon