Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder

www.bavariayacht.info
Further to the previous threads referring to this AIS, I thought it was time to start one about the unit itself. I have not had a chance to power it up (see later) but my first impressions are that it's a very solidly built device. Indeed, if it survived the damage to the box and packing that FedEx gave it, it will prove how robust it is.

The manual appears well written after a brief look, but with one exception: the data/power cable is shown without any indication as to the colour of the wires for each pin ...

HP-33A-Connections_zps211c7835.png~original

I know I could check this, but I don't have time. Anyone?

Alpha22

Visit site
Matsutec Pin out

Hope this helps...

5 minutes with an AVO and a papreclip got me this far with the Matsutec cable.

1 Red +VE
2 Black -VE
3 Green Send Data
4 Blue Rec Data
5 Brown+Shield GND
6 Orange
7 Yellow
8 White
9 Purple Ext buzz+
10 Grey Ext buzz -

I found an old 9 pin serial cable and chopped it in two. I tested the pins to determine the colours (note - your cable may vary. Remember the socket pinout and the plug pinout are reversed. Close inspection on mine showed the pin numbers marked on the plug.

CommPortPinOut.bmp

On my cable I found ...

Pin 2 Red RXD
Pin 3 Brown TXD
Pin 5 Yellow GND

So I connected up like this...
GPS AIS.JPG

I then used GPS Utility to download all my waypoints from my old Garmin using its old serial cable.
http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ - free download -

I then set up GPS Utility to communicate with the Matsutec - A bit of trail and error lead to these settings - Furuno 33. Hmmm.... not too much of a coincidence there then???

Matsutec RS232 setup.jpg

I then set the Matsutec into data receive mode, clicked on the download icon in GPSU. After a few moments (have faith and wait) the download started and all my way points were in.

Hope that helps!!!

Last edited:
www.bavariayacht.info
5 minutes with an AVO and a papreclip got me this far with the Matsutec cable... Hope that helps!!!

It does help a lot, thank you. I'm a bit tied up at the moment, packing for a trip to the boat.

Update: I was worried about the packing damage, so I quickly plugged in into my lab power supply. It booted and went to the Radar display. No time to test further, but a bit happier now. It draws about 250mA, with nothing else connected.

Last edited:

DipperToo

Visit site
HI.

I have read the manual which is online here http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0201/5460/files/HP-33A_User_manual_Final_version_20131014small.pdf and wonder if the NMEA in acts as a 'multiplexer' like many AIS receivers.

Reason for asking is that my Raymarine C80 needs a fast heading sensor input from the course computer and the EasyAIS receiver I currently have takes that data on the NMEA IN and multiplexes the fast heading data onto the AIS output. This is really needed for better stability when using the radar.

I did also see that Matsutec seem to have a 'black box' type transponder as well, but so far I have not managed to get much in the way of data.

Any clues if the unit does multiplexing or not? If I had to buy a separate multiplexer, then probably best to stick to a pricier AIS transponder from Europe (such as EasyAIS) which includes a built-in multiplexer as the final cost would probably not be too dissimilar from separate units.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
HI.

I have read the manual which is online here http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0201/5460/files/HP-33A_User_manual_Final_version_20131014small.pdf and wonder if the NMEA in acts as a 'multiplexer' like many AIS receivers.

Reason for asking is that my Raymarine C80 needs a fast heading sensor input from the course computer and the EasyAIS receiver I currently have takes that data on the NMEA IN and multiplexes the fast heading data onto the AIS output. This is really needed for better stability when using the radar.

I did also see that Matsutec seem to have a 'black box' type transponder as well, but so far I have not managed to get much in the way of data.

Any clues if the unit does multiplexing or not? If I had to buy a separate multiplexer, then probably best to stick to a pricier AIS transponder from Europe (such as EasyAIS) which includes a built-in multiplexer as the final cost would probably not be too dissimilar from separate units.

I could be interested in this as well as I also have a C80, course computer and AIS receiver. I should be in Hong Kong in early March on way back from 3-4 weeks in NZ (slight detour). Could be pretty cheap with no tax or carriage? I wonder how many will fit in a suitcase :D.

I don't imagine it would be CE approved. I missed the general outcome of other thread on this so will check if it was eventually deemed acceptable. Apologies for thread drift Nigel, I'll try to keep it to a minimum.

Last edited:
www.bavariayacht.info
I should be in Hong Kong ... I wonder how many will fit in a suitcase...
I don't imagine it would be CE approved...
If you are considering buying a few, I'm sure someone can tell you the box dimensions.

Discussion on CE approval (it is), merits (or otherwise) of Chinese made gear etc in this thread:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?382812-Cheap-Chinese-AIS-Transponder

Discussion regarding ordering in this thread:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?383694-Cheap-Chinese-AIS-Transponder-ordering

Last edited:

Alpha22

Visit site
The HP-33A only has one data port. The is configurable in software for various tasks. I set mine up today to pass GPS data to the DSC VHF. This it does well but I think it will only do one thing at once.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
If you are considering buying a few, I'm sure someone can tell you the box dimensions.

Discussion on CE approval (it is), merits (or otherwise) of Chinese made gear etc in this thread:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?382812-Cheap-Chinese-AIS-Transponder

Discussion regarding ordering in this thread:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?383694-Cheap-Chinese-AIS-Transponder-ordering

Thanks for the info. I was only joking about packing a suitcase full on return trip. Pretty much guaranteed to be full of clothes anyway if my wife gets her way.

It seems likely that a black box style transponder will be extremely cheap in HK, so worth a punt if I have time to track one down.

Alpha22

Visit site
Thanks for the info. I was only joking about packing a suitcase full on return trip. Pretty much guaranteed to be full of clothes anyway if my wife gets her way.

I wonder what they would go for on ebay??

I managed to get it talking to the Cobra VHF, but no way would it talk to to my ancient Yeoman plotter. It made the Yeoman crash every time I turned on the Matsutec. Any ideas?

Alpha22

Visit site
Baud rate?

How did you get it to talk to the Cobra? That's a job I have to do.

I had my Yeoman and Cobra radio connected to the NMEA 0183 output of my Garmin GPS 72. All running at defaults....
I added the two data wires from the Matsutec to the chockbloc in the same place as the Garmin cable, and after a bit of fiddling with the settings on the Matsutec, lat and long came up on the Cobra. The Matsutec I/O port setting was REM1.
When I plugged the Yeoman in, it either locked the Yeoman up or flashed the 4 LEDs which means no data. I guess it's just too old???? I'm wondering if a GlobalSat BR-355 GPS would feed the Yeoman... using http://yappelectronics.co.uk/GPPS.htm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221147759702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

There is no baud rate adjustment on any of the equipment.....

prv

Visit site
I'm wondering if a GlobalSat BR-355 GPS would feed the Yeoman... using http://yappelectronics.co.uk/GPPS.htm

I don't see why not. It seems relatively tolerant of different devices, your experience of this one notwithstanding.

That said, I prefer to use my Yeoman with a Garmin GPS128 as it's easier to handle waypoints with. Rather than deal with them in the Yeoman, I just repeatedly define point "001" and then rename them in the Garmin.

Pete

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
IIRC my Yeoman manual lists the Furuno GP32 as compatible and the Chinese copy actually has a Yeoman entry in its menu, according to the online manual. Doesn't sound unreasonable to expect the Matusec HP to work with the Yeoman.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Update. Took 10 minutes to install, currently GPS mushroom is in the wheelhouse but working fine, we may leave it there. The AIS aerial is borrowed from the VHF and on top of the mizzen so a bit unrealistic. We're at the head of a 9 mile river with high banks nearby but getting lots of AIS targets 24 miles away in the North Sea. The GPS pages on the unit are excellent with lots of functionality. The AIS transponder works just fine, the fact that pretty much the only people who will "see" us are other yachts is a source of great comfort ;) never-the-less it works because it's being picked up by Harwich shore station and shown on Boat Beacon. I hope we trigger some unnecessary CPA alarms this summer :D I can't see us remembering to switch it on and off en route as it's buried in a menu but at least it will be off in the marina.

All in all it's a fantastic piece of kit, a very cheap fixed GPS and AIS unit and a ridiculously cheap transponder. Thanks a million to Bi11ion.