Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder

greeny

Visit site
I reckon it is essential to have it cockpit mounted especially if you are single handing or short crewed and want to fully use the AIS and GPS capabilities. We feed the AIS Nmea info into a mini computer that has its own 10 " display by the Chart table using Open CPN which probably has one of the most user friendly AIS collision avoidance displays available.

Thanks, I'm inclined to agree with you as I'm mostly single handing. If the A65 plotter doesn't take AIS which I don't think it does, It looks like I'll follow your choice and binnacle mount it somehow and then send the data down below to my back-up laptop running Open CPN. Then I've got the best of both options.
Now, what to fill the hole with that will be left when I remove the Nasa ais reciever unit?

TSB240

Visit site
o

Now, what to fill the hole with that will be left when I remove the Nasa ais reciever unit?
I had a similar problem if you look at picture I remounted all the instruments in a new single piece of acrylic covering the hole left by the old GPS unit which could not be adapted to fit the new HP33A. You could just do a local adaptor using a thin hard plastic available from a local engraver.... They charge me about a fiver for them if you provide a cad drawing. I often use them for mounting new HMIs in electrical control panels.

nardus

quintessens.gaatverweg.nl
Some connection help would be great!
Green wire from the HP33 talks gps on 4800 baud to the nmea in on the old Pathfinder plotter. Works like a charm.
Now I want to have some ais to my devices. Same green wire wich is nmea out. I connected this wire to my Yakker, this is a very simple low cost nmea to wifi device. (Ipad,samsung phone,laptop)
yakker2.gif
yakkerIF.jpg

When my devices connect to the Yakkers ip and port, I only see nmea (Gps)sentences when the Yakkers on 4800 baud, not on 38400 ?

Help would be great!

[EDIT] Found it : manual 10.4 : go to settings-NMEA I/O / data : set to : <AIS OUTPUT> Now the HP33 talks ais (38400baus)on the green wire. Now receiving data when i connect my devices to the Yakker on 192.168.4.1 port 23.
How to feed my Pathfinder plotter is another question, he only listens to 4800 baud.

Last edited:

tsizkeik

Visit site
Just to let everyone know
Spoke with the makers, Susan is no longer with the company and eventhough I reminded them that a member of this forum bought one from them for 204 gbp the best price they could give is 280 usd which sucks

tsizkeik

Visit site
Well its a matter of principle. My sister is visiting China so I was expecting I would be getting it for less than 204 gbp seeing how there is no posting to Europe.

Simon__

Visit site
Interested in getting one of these but have a few questions if anyone can help?

How much does it work out to buy direct from Huayang tech, ~£215 is mentioned above but what’s the bottom line after shipping, VAT etc.? They’re £335 on Amazon so don’t mind waiting a few weeks to save £100..!

Would I be able to (or more specifically is it possible) link this to my Garmin 551s to show traffic on the plotter?

superheat6k

Visit site
I have bought twice direct from Huayang with no issues and had the plotters within 2 weeks. First was the HP-628A, which I then upgraded to the HP-1228A. The full plotters are excellent, and highly recommended. I think the VAT / Duty obligation is a Russian roulette style risk.

If your Garmin can display AIS data then the Matsutec will provide the data over NMEA0183, but must be at high speed port setting, 38000 baud. Some plotters also require data at low speed e.g. VHF data, in which case the plotter requires two ports. The last Garmin I had did have two ports.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Interested in getting one of these but have a few questions if anyone can help?

How much does it work out to buy direct from Huayang tech, ~£215 is mentioned above but what’s the bottom line after shipping, VAT etc.? They’re £335 on Amazon so don’t mind waiting a few weeks to save £100..!

When I bought direct in 2016 it cost me $365, which is £282.50 today. I also had to pay DHL around £60 in duty and handling charge, so it cost more than the one I bought from Amazon earlier this week after the first one died on me (see separate thread). I have read elsewhere that the price from China has gone up substantially - I think £360 was mentioned.

Simon__

Visit site
Brilliant, I’ll email them tomorrow for some prices and add a 20% buffer just in case!

There’s a second port but it’s for NMEA2000 so looks like i’d need to either connect the radio through that or look to convert some how - I’ll have a look at the manuals over the weekend. Thanks for your help.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Brilliant, I’ll email them tomorrow for some prices and add a 20% buffer just in case!

You're welcome. It would be interesting to have an up-to-date price from China, though I'll feel a bit of a 'nana if it's a lot less than £335. By the way, here's the section on NMEA output from the manual.

qBaNGl3.png

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Would I be able to (or more specifically is it possible) link this to my Garmin 551s to show traffic on the plotter?

The Garmin 551s has two NMEA0183 ports. You can configure one to send GPS data to your VHF at 9600 baud and the other to receive AIS data at 38400 baud.

Simon__

Visit site
The Garmin 551s has two NMEA0183 ports. You can configure one to send GPS data to your VHF at 9600 baud and the other to receive AIS data at 38400 baud.

Perfect, that's exactly what I'd like to do. Thanks Paul :)

Huayang Tech sent me a very fast and helpful response with the prices attached but unfortunately it looks like it works out slightly more expensive (only a few pounds) if you get caught for import duty and these prices don't include the $15 PayPal fee some have been quoted:

HA-102 , US$210 / set
HP-33A , US$290 / set
HP-828A , US$568 / set
KP-708A , US$398 / set .

DHL cost for 1 set is about $68.00

superheat6k

Visit site

Huayang Tech sent me a very fast and helpful response with the prices attached but unfortunately it looks like it works out slightly more expensive (only a few pounds) if you get caught for import duty and these prices don't include the $15 PayPal fee some have been quoted:

HA-102 , US$210 / set
HP-33A , US$290 / set
HP-828A , US$568 / set
KP-708A , US$398 / set .

Challenge the payment fee - I did and got it removed, but you can also pay by Bank Transfer. The HP-828A is a seriously good bit of kit.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

HA-102 , US$210 / set
HP-33A , US$290 / set
HP-828A , US$568 / set
KP-708A , US$398 / set .

Is that the DHL fee for delivery on top of the prices, or is it the import charge if you get caught?

Simon__

Visit site
DHL fee, so it’s $358 + any Import / handling fees.

I’ve gone with Amazon as this also removes my liability as the “importer” if the comments on page 10 around it not being certified ever arise.