Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder

Visit site
Hello
was it possible to have 2 port nmea on the tech documentation i see the wire orange and yellow was usb nmea.
This 2 wire orange and yellow are for what fonction ?
my version matsutec is v1 do you known if there are new firmware for this gps ?
Thank you

bendyone

Visit site
Brought one last week $375 delivered with £18 VAT and handling ( DHL)
Plugged it all in and it did what it said on the box. Picked up by Marine Traffic so I know it works.

Well pleased :encouragement:

SyStormy

Visit site
Hi there!
I also bought a hp-33a and i plan to install it in my 31 footer in the coming weeks. I was wondering in it is possible to get GPS info to the vhf AND ais info to the boats computer wich run openCPN.

The computer only have usb connectors so I am guessing I will need a rs232 to usb converter?

It seams like a solid unit, haven't powered it up yet will be interesting!

Bi111ion

Visit site
Hi there!
The computer only have usb connectors so I am guessing I will need a rs232 to usb converter?
It seams like a solid unit, haven't powered it up yet will be interesting!

Yes that will work fine. You need to set the baud to 38400 on OpenCPN for AIS data. The pin out of the HP-33A is in the manual and you need to set it to output AIS on the NMEA.

SyStormy

Visit site
Alright so I will need a multiplexer or use a different GPS source for the VHF?!
When I set the hp33a to send AIS to the computer does it send boat speed, position, heading to openCPN or only AIS info?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The pin-out is also in the first post in this thread, but unless I have missed something the output can be AIS or GPS.

According to the manual, section 10-4, choosing AIS output gives GGA (fix), GSA (overall satellite data), GSV (detailed satellite data), VTG (vector track & speed), GLL (lat & long), RMC (recommended minimum GPS data), VDM (AIS incoming) and VDO (AIS own ship) sentences. Since the basic positional data is included, a radio might be able to pick it out, if it's happy with 38400 baud.

My radio will not respond to "GPS" output (GA, GSA, GSV, VTG) from the HP-33A but works fine with REM1, so I suspect it looks for RMC sentences.

Bi111ion

Visit site
I used a cheap GPS puck as a dedicated GPS for my DSC VHF Radio. Actually I used another one just for the SSB as well, so they are set to come on with the radios (with a 12v to 5v converter).. The Matsutec does give a more accurate GPS fix (for me than anything other than my Samsung s4 phone which uses GLONASS as well as GPS) but that is mainly useful for eg helping you navigate a tight channel in poor visibility rather than feeding position to the radios for DSC.

TSB240

Visit site
Help from the panel please.

I use my HP33 in conjunction with Open CPN on a PC based system connected via an old Simrad Is15 network.

I have just tried changing the IO setting to AIS so that I can use the AIS function in Open.

I think the Is 15 net will only pass on the lower baud rate which was fine on GPS setting.

So my option is down to connecting HP 33 Directly to PC and using open cpn to output at lower Baud rate back to the Simrad networked instruments.

This in effect leaves the HP33 as a gps and AIS source. I will no longer have the hassle of uploading routes to the HP33 .

I do find the inability to add incremental routes to the HP a pain.

Does the panel of users see any downsides in this set up?

Does anybody have a better alternative solution?

TSB240

Visit site
Alright so I will need a multiplexer or use a different GPS source for the VHF?!
When I set the hp33a to send AIS to the computer does it send boat speed, position, heading to openCPN or only AIS info?

I think you have the same problem as myself..

I think my solution is to use the HP 33 connected to Open CPN which provides all the nav info at the higher baudrate when set to AIS

Open cpn can also be used to output just basic nav info at any baud rate on another usb/serial port usually for an autopilot.

You would need another usb converter so about the same cost as a vhf puck but the HP 33 probably provides a more accurate GPS position!

Steve

janda

Visit site
Just got my HP33A running 0319 firmware. It picked up a SAR Helicopter quickly but got the speed wrong. A check on Marine Traffic indicated the SAR was transmitting the correct info. Also in menu gps setup there was no option to select Rhumb line sailing. Anyone had this?

Last edited:

rubbishman

Visit site
Got my HP33A installed today great kit. BTW was quoted £230 all in from H.K. but paid a bit more from this bloke, Marine GPS - Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder See original listing
Marine-GPS-Matsutec-HP-33A-AIS-Transponder
Item Ended
Item condition:New
Ended: 18 Feb, 2016 19:51:47 GMT
Price: £280.00 [ 2 sold ]
Postage: Free Economy Delivery
Item location:Birmingham, United Kingdom
Seller:
lashger (46 Feedback score: 46) |.I paid £260 and it arrived in2 days, all fine no problems but he must of ran out might be worth keeping an eye on e-bay for when he gets more stock in if you prefer a uk seller.

Alpha22

Visit site
I'm running 20140319 which I assume to be 19th March 2014. It was emailed to me by Susan and I installed it on 31st March 2014. This replaced the supplied, slightly older firmware that 'forgot' the MMSI number every time it was powered off. It would also power down intermittently, usually after about 20 minutes.
Since the update.... rock solid and reliable.

Unless there is some super dooper new feature in a new version, I'm leaving mine where it is.

superheat6k

Visit site
There are on here an increasing number of users of this AIS unit so can I canvas some opinions please: excellent - good - bad - avoid etc.

I need a plotter on my flybridge and also an AIS source for my main Raymarine C120 in the cabin - will this provide a reasonable solution for both ? Not so worried about having a detailed chart display on the fly for now.

Has anyone tried the HP 628A which has the full display plotter screen ?

Thanks

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
There are on here an increasing number of users of this AIS unit so can I canvas some opinions please: excellent - good - bad - avoid etc.

I need a plotter on my flybridge and also an AIS source for my main Raymarine C120 in the cabin - will this provide a reasonable solution for both ? Not so worried about having a detailed chart display on the fly for now.

Has anyone tried the HP 628A which has the full display plotter screen ?

Thanks

If you don't need the display AIS display as you will have it on you plotters this may be a cost effective solution from the same maker.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mats...32607679896.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.1.AaGMev

Spiderman

Visit site
Anybody who can tell me to connect the Matsutec Ais to Raymarine C80 for ais overlay? Love the ais, but would be great to have ais overlay on C80 chartplotter!

Bi111ion

Visit site
Quick reply (without timetocheck the docs) First check your C80 takes NMEA0183 input. You have to go in to the set up menu of the HP-33A to choose it to output AIS. Works OK for me on my OpenCPN on a computer.

Pin out was posted earlier in this thread.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Anybody who can tell me to connect the Matsutec Ais to Raymarine C80 for ais overlay? Love the ais, but would be great to have ais overlay on C80 chartplotter!

The C80 Classic has an NMEA0183 port which you can configure at low or high speed, same speed for in and out, so will accept an AIS NMEA input at high speed.

Look at the back of your C80 and see if the NMEA plug is inserted. If it is not there, do you have the cable stored somewhere as it's not easy to get hold of the cable any more. Raymarine do not sell them now. If the cable is there, is the port being used for anything already? It may be in use for a GPS output at slow speed in which case you probably cannot switch the input to high speed without disabling whatever it is currently connected to, possibly a DSC VHF radio.

There are solutions available but first it's best to see what set up you have at the moment.

Edit - I think you also need to update your C80 to the latest firmware v5.16 from 2012 in order to implement AIS properly.

Richard

Last edited: