Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder: Firmware Update

Deep 6

Visit site
Hello A 22 - I uploaded the 2015 firmware thanks to Nigel's easy to follow step by step instructions.
I think it is a few minor bug fixes - one I noticed is the date is now on own dynamic info page - missing on mine before. My unit does not transmit and I was hoping the firmware update would sort this but no luck. The MMSI number has been correctly input and the TX is in the on position in the AIS set up page - anyone any ideas before I send back to HK?

BlueChip

Visit site
Hello A 22 - I uploaded the 2015 firmware thanks to Nigel's easy to follow step by step instructions.
I think it is a few minor bug fixes - one I noticed is the date is now on own dynamic info page - missing on mine before. My unit does not transmit and I was hoping the firmware update would sort this but no luck. The MMSI number has been correctly input and the TX is in the on position in the AIS set up page - anyone any ideas before I send back to HK?

Unless you are moving, it wont transmit your position for some time.
Are you sure you left it for long enough?
Are you sure you have the antenna cables plugged in the correct sockets?

Deep 6

Visit site
Tried with two vhf aerials which have been proved good and checked Marine Traffic plus a couple of local mfvs

jbees

Visit site
Just read your 2014 post with description of link cable connections which I have found very useful, thanks. Do you know if the HP-33A needs the 5v USB supply in addition to its normal 12v connection?

pvb

Visit site
Just read your 2014 post with description of link cable connections which I have found very useful, thanks. Do you know if the HP-33A needs the 5v USB supply in addition to its normal 12v connection?

You'll see there's "RIP" under Nigel's username on that post. Sadly he died some time ago.

Deep 6

Visit site
No as far as mine is concerned, Just standard 12v supply. Re below message chain it turned out I had a faulty unit which Matsutec replaced FOC after quite a few emails with their tech dept, has been working fine since.

North Side

Visit site
Hi guys, I need help. My AIS device HP33-A is mixing VDO and VDM sentences from my own ship, so the plotter is continuously sounding the collision alarm with myself. Does it happen to you?, Do you know if this issue is removed by changing the firmware?, Where can I find a recent firmware?.

Here is a sample of the NMEA sentences:
! AIVDO, 1,1 ,,, H3aQ5whpu9 @ R1 <T @ F22222222206,0 * 41
! AIVDO, 1,1 ,,, H3aQ5whpu9 @ R1 <T @ F22222222206,0 * 41
! AIVDM, 1,1,, A, H3aQ5whpu9 @ R1 <T @ F2222222220,2 * 36
! AIVDO, 1,1 ,,, H3aQ5wlT <wwJ1D9 @ 2lpnlP1H040G, 0 * 58
! AIVDM, 1,1,, A, H3aQ5wlT <wwJ1D9 @ 2lpnlP1H040G, 0 * 1B
! AIVDO, 1,1 ,,, H3aQ5wlT <CPaF0I @ 2lpnlP1H0403,0 * 67
! AIVDM, 1,1,, A, H3aQ5wlT <CPaF0I @ 2lpnlP1H0403,0 * 24

Any help will be welcome. Best regards from southeast coast of Spain

toucancatketch

Visit site
I have had the same issue with my hp33a. I have posted here and elsewhere looking for a solution but never got a response. This isn't an issue where your plotter has the option to filter your own mmsi. Mine is an old Garmin no longer supported and no filter.

My work around is that my system uses a mux and I can do some editing of the stream. When it sees my mmsi the data is edited to move me to the North Pole. Not pretty but it gets the false target off the screen.

I wrote a simple Arduino script that actually does the filter, but the wiring is iffy and I lost interest.

I'd love to see a real answer.

Last edited:

unbilba

Visit site
Hello Deep6:

Looking for information to solve my problem with my Hp33a, I found this post. In this post you mentioned you upload de firmware to the device.

Do you still have the file ? Could you share with me please?

Thanks