Mathematicians have studied knots for centuries...

D

Deleted member 36384

What I found fascinating was how knots, from Lord Kelvin's study have woven their way in the creative process towards understanding genetics. The fascination continuous with the wonderfully named Bastard Hogberry and light bending plastic fibres; all that from nearly losing his dinghy.

Birdseye

Visit site
Interesting idea. I wonder if anyone has done some research on how ropes tangle, as they seem to do however you coil them.

bobgarrett

Visit site
A friend of my sons did research on this as his third year study at Univ. He used a chain on a tray which was vibrated and it eventually knotted up!

Interesting idea. I wonder if anyone has done some research on how ropes tangle, as they seem to do however you coil them.

Star-Lord

Visit site
I believe if you loop lines (like spare rope anchor rode for example) in figure 8 then there us no tangle. So Jordan Series Drogue I assume would be stowed figure of 8 i presume?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I believe if you loop lines (like spare rope anchor rode for example) in figure 8 then there us no tangle.

The correct way to 'coil' ropes depends on the way the rope is constructed, I believe. Braided rope figure of eights; 3 strand etc. loops.

Neither completely avoids tangles, in my experience. If there's a better way to do it, I'd love to know.

Star-Lord

Visit site
The correct way to 'coil' ropes depends on the way the rope is constructed, I believe. Braided rope figure of eights; 3 strand etc. loops.

Neither completely avoids tangles, in my experience. If there's a better way to do it, I'd love to know.
I figure of 8 the main halyard when ready to drop the main and it has never tangled. The secret with anchor rode (braided) is to figure 8 'fresh' so if you figure 8 then stow it may tangle when unstowed because it has had time to get squashed up.