Market flooded with cheap boats because of the coranvirus

Resolution

Visit site
So far 18 replies and not one that said there plain to sell up.
I think it's wishful thinking on the part of buyers that a 30k boat will be up for sale for 10k or 100k For 60k .
There always be bargains about and always will be some not so much a bargain then a money pit.
I remember after the bad hurricane season all the talk of cheap damage boat to be had for next to nothing and it was going to kill the second hand market valve,
it turn out all them very cheap next to nothing was going to cost money more to put right then buying one in good condition boat and nothing ended up happening to the SH boat market.
There no doubt if this goes on for any length of time there be jobs loses but there also be new business starting up.
For us who have had boats for long periods of times many years in some cases we would have to be a
Most down to our last penny's before selling up let alone give our boats away .
Where some bargain may appear is where people have got to the age where's there are ready to call it a day , but then hasn't that always been the case .
As I have said elsewhere, we were going to put Resolution up for sale in 2021, old age and mobility reasons. So we had a really good plan for 2020. Well the virus has stuffed that plan good and proper. After a year of gardening leave, I will be twice as keen to get in some more good sailing, so the For Sale sign has been chucked in the bin.
Just have to stay alive long enough........

nicho

Visit site
We bought our boat last October, and for a variety of reasons we have only had two visits since. It was due out today for annual stuff, but of course canned. So, whether we will see it for a few months seems anyone’s guess - certainly not selling!!. So bl**dy frustrating

Poignard

Visit site
I thought the idea was that, because of the age-profile of boat owners, it would be our executors who would be trying to sell our boats.
That may well happen but, in my case, my executors and other members if my family members, know nothing about boats and have no interest in them. They don’t even know where my boat is, her name, or anything about her.

I suppose that she would just end up as one more yacht abandoned in a boatyard.

dom

Visit site
I predict the price of second hand boats to rocket, marina fees to collapse, and a shortage of good crew.

For nobody has mentioned a likely revival in the Norse 'Burial at Sea' tradition where the deceased forumite would be laid in his boat alongside grave offerings in accordance with his earthly status and professional life, sometimes to include sacrificed slaves and favoured crew members. A flaming arrow would be then fired by - perhaps by JM? - which would land perfectly on the vessel to send the sailor on his way to Valhalla.

And remember, the Norsemen's Covid-19 response would have at least been the equal of this Government's motley efforts :whistle:

Last edited:

PlanB

Visit site
Age and new relationship in the UK meant I put my boat (on which I had lived for 12 years) based in Spain on the market early last year - at the time I was devastated that it sold within a couple of weeks. Now I'm just relieved.

oldgit

Visit site
Who will have the money to buy ?

The money is there, in my immediate group of friends , who are are all of certain age profile , cash money is coming out of their ears.
Especially those with no kids.
Add up a couple of rock solid inflation proof pensions, a couple of inherited properties,a BTL, a garage already full of motor bikes and a classic car or two plus a couple of new cars parked in the drive .Life is hard according to the paper they read.
Unfortunately they all have more sense then to buy a boat. :)
We live in a very divided nation with a certain generation prepared to vote to make sure they do not lose any ground.
What to do about it ?...Well above my pay grade.

dom

Visit site
Can I legally specify a Norse burial at sea on my boat in my will ??

Well,

You must have spoken with a cut-glass accent if you want the flaming arrow fired from the RYS

Else it'll be up beside the floating bridge for you (no probs if your flaming arrow accidentally hits it)

Oh: MAIB says pls don't hit the Red Funnel if its displaying 3 balls up :)

jbweston

Visit site
I will sell the Wife before my boat, I have contacted a good middle eastern Country who take such oddities and already got a good price if I go down this drastic action ,
It may be sooner than she thinks :LOL:
Problem is that the market's flooded with wives at the moment. There are some bargains out there - good wives whose husbands are just fed up with seeing them all day every day.

Lightwave395

Visit site
Well,

You must have spoken with a cut-glass accent if you want the flaming arrow fired from the RYS

Else it'll be up beside the floating bridge for you (no probs if your flaming arrow accidentally hits it)

Oh: MAIB says pls don't hit the Red Funnel if its displaying 3 balls up :)

With the Solent so deserted, Red Funnel have never gone so long without hitting anything....

E39mad

Visit site
It's too early in this crises to know exactly how this will affect the market.

Once the late summer/autumn comes along and we are hopefully out of lock down we may see a lot of boats come to the market. Probate sales, sales because of lack of use and sales because of loss of income will all be a factor.

Buyers likely to be thin on the ground depending on what the "new world" looks like.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I expect we will have to sell our old boat for peanuts as it wasnt getting much attention from buyers before Covid 19.

If we are lucky we will be on the newer boat sailing like there is no tomorrow. If we are unlucky our executors will have to shift it or more probably walk away denying all knowledge and get on with their own lives

D

Deleted member 36384

I would buy the right boat if it came up at an attractive price and sell my own for a very, very attractive price to a buyer. It may become a sad fact that people or businesses will need to offload boats fast. Hence, I think that a lot of people will be selling up when this is over. Of course, if its over quickly, say by August, then a late season sail may save the day for some.

There is a possibility that there will be a significant rise in lifestyle choices and retirements for those who can afford to. That may offset any drop in prices for certain styles of boat. The smaller, older boats are probably toast and it will make better financial sense to junk them.

STATUE

Visit site
Lots being written about the prices of boat dropping like a lead weight because of people selling up because of the virus .
I'm interested in how many here have plains to sell up once this is all over.
Personally what we hearing on the cruisers front is talk of getting back to sailing and other then a few that we knew about that was going to sell before this happen .
Maybe someone should start a poll .
Lots being written about the prices of boat dropping like a lead weight because of people selling up because of the virus .
I'm interested in how many here have plains to sell up once this is all over.
Personally what we hearing on the cruisers front is talk of getting back to sailing and other then a few that we knew about that was going to sell before this happen .
Maybe someone should start a poll .
No body seems to want my Victoria Frances 26 despite Apolloduck doing an excellent marketing job - 26' apparently is small these days, and singlehanded !! - perish the thought.

Resolution

Visit site
Can I legally specify a Norse burial at sea on my boat in my will ??
Problem is that the market's flooded with wives at the moment. There are some bargains out there - good wives whose husbands are just fed up with seeing them all day every day.
As someone of Viking DNA I have for some time addressed the problems of cremation and what to do with the ashes by specifying that my corpse should be strapped to the wheel of Resolution, sails set, fires lit and off we go over the horizon to eternity. Trouble is that, as Dom suggested, I consider that my status demands that I should be accompanied by treasured possessions. And what could I treasure more than my dear beloved wife?:oops::unsure:
I fear that once I am gone my wishes will be ignored, ashes chucked under any nearby bush, and dear beloved wife will embark on a yacht free existence!!