Market flooded with cheap boats because of the coranvirus

Wansworth

Visit site
I scattered my late fathers ashes in the evening from the foreshore at Lady Bay near Clevedon, accompanied only by my teenage son as the family had prevaricated and wombled around. It was a rainy and windy night and even at high tide our shoes got muddy. Then the wind blew ash back in our face. We then drove to the old pub where he had lived all those years ago and found it closed. By now starving we got fish and chips on the way home but found some of them inexplicably dusty and crunchy.
Omg!

dimdav

Visit site
Corona viruses have been studied for years this is a very complex virus hence the time to get antivirals and human saftey checks

Nidoviruses rank among the most complex RNA viruses and their molecular genetics clearly discriminates them from other RNA virus groups. Still, our knowledge about their molecular biology, mostly derived from studies of coronaviruses, is very limited (Lai and Cavanagh, 1997, Lai and Holmes, 2001, Siddell et al., 2005, Ziebuhr, 2004)

Nidovirus genomes have been studied for ∼20 years, most extensively during the last several years. By today, more than a hundred full-length and over a thousand partial nidovirus genome sequences have been published. Four profoundly separated and unevenly populated genetic clusters have been recognized: corona-, toro-, roni- and arteriviruses. The exact relationship between these clusters is yet to be rigorously resolved (González et al., 2003)

The overwhelming majority of the available nidovirus genome sequences have been reported for corona- and arteriviruses, which were the first to be fully sequenced and analyzed (Boursnell et al., 1987, den Boon et al., 1991a). Comparative sequence analysis and other studies of viruses from each of these families revealed three major groups in coronaviruses, called groups 1, 2 and 3, and four comparably distant genetic clusters in arteriviruses (González et al., 2003, Gorbalenya et al., 2004, Snijder et al., 2005a, Spaan et al., 2005a)

Nidoviruses have linear, single-stranded RNA genomes of positive polarity that contain a 5′ cap structure and a 3′ poly (A) tail. The genomes of nidoviruses include untranslated regions (UTR) at their 5′ and 3′ genome termini. These flank an array of multiple genes whose number may vary in and between the families of the nidovirus order

The comparison of the large corona-, toro- and roniviruses with their much smaller Arteriviridae cousins provides an intellectual framework for rationalizing the genome expansion in the Nidovirale

In this context, it will be essential to continue the sampling of the natural diversity of nidoviruses, also to see whether the genome size gap between the small and large nidoviruses will be filled with viruses with intermediate-size genomes, and whether nidoviruses infecting other phyla, e.g., plants and insects, can be identified. Ultimately, we may hope to learn whether the large nidoviruses (particularly, coronaviruses) have reached the theoretical genome size limit that may have been set for RNA viruses by nature
Nidovirales: Evolving the largest RNA virus genome

added ----sorry for the long post I Can feel my meds wearing off its like drinking 20 redbulls , I mean no offence or rub it in with this post I just get on one and tunnel vision .

See... thats the sort of boffin talk which loses me but I'm glad of and which I'm in total awe as its an area I dont know! Just like one of my best mates who's a microbiologist when he goes off on one but then again he thinks cheese is sinister and it revolts him, task task, so I've put him down as an untrustworthy sort on that basis alone!

oldgit

Visit site
I scattered my late fathers ashes

Four times in the immediate past and all to this poem.

Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,
But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.
Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;
For tho’ from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have cross’d the bar.

And very likely to be fifth soon.
.........as for this little problem at the moment
" If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same"

Ps. and all from a confirmed atheist :)

Reactions: dom

DownWest

Visit site
My uncle was 'buried at sea' as being ex navy. It was ashes of course. No blow back, luckily. He had worked overseas for years, but my cousin could not find out where he had stashed the loot. Must have been quite useful, but not heard if he found out where.
The Francis 26 was my dream boat and I was looking to build one from the designers plans, until I found out the plans cost and build licence fee.. Steep.
In UK cheap boats are common, but where do you keep them? Buying a £500 quid boat is easy, then the ongoing costs... unless you are OK on a drying creek on the E coast and like mud.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
--------In UK cheap boats are common, but where do you keep them? Buying a £500 quid boat is easy, then the ongoing costs... unless you are OK on a drying creek on the E coast and like mud.

Plenty of near dead boats beached on the east coast between colchester and ipswich. Quite a few usable boats moored in tiny creeks in the saltings and at the end of farmers fields.. Not my world, Im a west country fellow and want deep water at least at high tide

DownWest

Visit site
Plenty of near dead boats beached on the east coast between colchester and ipswich. Quite a few usable boats moored in tiny creeks in the saltings and at the end of farmers fields.. Not my world, Im a west country fellow and want deep water at least at high tide
I have ''The Magic of the Swatchways' within reach of the bog. But it was 'passée' when we sailed there in the 50s & 60s. Raced at Burnham and Maldon. But went off to Falmouth each year too.. Swinging mooring on the Crouch, up from Burnham, easy trip down to reach the start, after a proper breakfast and a listen to to the forecast, along with, on one year, 'Ring of Bright Water' on the Beeb. Very different days..

steve yates

Visit site
Sorry to hear these figures, but it is impossible to work out a death rate against unknown and known infected cases , we are talking about large numbers of infected people that have had it , going to get it and not one will need medical attention so they do not go on the figures . with the best estimates we are getting figures of 20000 from the models being used, it might be higher , lower but I would not expect figures in the hundreds of thousands

Also this is a corona virus , like influenza is a corona virus , what makes then different is their genetic RNA , they already have a head start in understanding other corona viruses , the time lag is the medical testing. they need to have controlled medical experiments with humans over a certain amount of time to allow the vaccine to be released , not point giving out a vaccine that kills the virus but does some other damage like Thalidomide
Influenza is not a Corona Virus at all. You may be thinking of the common cold, which is. And they have never ever found a cure for that :)

Edited to add: Ok, posted this and then saw the other responses after, so it's covered :)

Foolish Muse

Visit site
I had been long watching the Figaro Beneteau 2 boats, hoping that they would be a great price after the Figaro 3 took over. But what happened is that some sailing schools bought up the whole fleet of 2's, so there are absolutely none available to the public. So now I'm wondering, if the sailing schools are forced to close, then perhaps the 2's will hit the general market after all?

ridgy

Visit site
I had been long watching the Figaro Beneteau 2 boats, hoping that they would be a great price after the Figaro 3 took over. But what happened is that some sailing schools bought up the whole fleet of 2's, so there are absolutely none available to the public. So now I'm wondering, if the sailing schools are forced to close, then perhaps the 2's will hit the general market after all?

Ah that explains it. I had wondered the same thing myself, where did all those boats go. Love your book btw.

jac

Visit site
Falling boat prices will have nothing to do with the amount of dead, but the economic impact on the living.

We are still in the 'honeymoon' period - that is the period where on average - people still have just enough money to put food on the table and are enjoying not being at work/posting excessive 5hite/songs on social media.

Give it a couple of weeks and the same people who were crying for a lock down, will be crying for freedom.

Its not going to be pretty.

If you Look at the numbers being furloughed and the fact that the cover is restricted to 80% of salary up to 2500 pm then i think you will see a lot of people who could afford boats suddenly not be able to afford boats. Add in the likely severe recession, fall in employment and the market changes. It might only be a small increase in the number of boats on the market but add to that a small fall in number of potential buyers but they could combine to havea big impact, especially when one considers that the next couple of months should be full of frantic potential buyers trying to find the right boat before the season starts. That won;t happen and if we don;t start seeing normal service resume for boat buying till June / July ( And remember that 6 months has been openly talked about) then i suspect that lots of people might just defer a purchase thinking no point this season, may as well wait a bit.

Sealong

Visit site
On the other hand . . . . there is nothing like a crisis to focus the mind and with this one the common focus is on our fragility, mortality and the impact we have on our environment. Why work now and live later, when we could be snuffed out, unrealised dreams 'n all ?
This could see an increase in people wanting to buy boats, and particularly yachts (the environment) and lead to an increase in the price.

Talulah

Visit site
On the other hand . . . . there is nothing like a crisis to focus the mind and with this one the common focus is on our fragility, mortality and the impact we have on our environment. Why work now and live later, when we could be snuffed out, unrealised dreams 'n all ?
This could see an increase in people wanting to buy boats, and particularly yachts (the environment) and lead to an increase in the price.
But I wonder if there will be social pressure and guilt which will prevent people from making major purchases. Car or boat.
Could also see a lot of the haves having to help out and support their offspring.

Last edited:

langstonelayabout

Visit site
No body seems to want my Victoria Frances 26 despite Apolloduck doing an excellent marketing job - 26' apparently is small these days, and singlehanded !! - perish the thought.

if that is the one with the increased rig and no heads it is because my wife doesn’t like it. I think it’s great and would have viewed months ago.

Visit site
Age and new relationship in the UK meant I put my boat (on which I had lived for 12 years) based in Spain on the market early last year - at the time I was devastated that it sold within a couple of weeks. Now I'm just relieved.
We are exactly the same...ultimately as liveaboards it was the arrival of Grandchildren that forced our hand...but also fears around Brexit....we advertised our Cat in December sold within two months last February...…. and now this virus...the new owners have spent a total of 56 days sailing her since.... don't say we wont buy again sometime in the future..who knows...but for now both sat here now feeling very very relieved...