Marine traffic

Tomahawk

Visit site
How do you find out which company insures a ship? Whilst the harbour and pilots may want to ignore ships running aground and nearly hitting moored boats, I am not sure their underwriters would be so sanguine.

nburrell

Visit site
Does anyone know how to get the past track (more than 24 hours) for a ship out of Marine Traffic?

The reason for asking is there was yet another near miss at Brightlingsea over the weekend. The 88m long MV Twisteden nearly took out the pontoons when swinging round. By all accounts she came to within a few yards of the moored boats. Hew bow wave swamped the pontoon.

This is the third near miss in 18 months.
If you are quick you can still see the track on myshiptracking .com

1638884730053.png

nburrell

Visit site
To me that shows how unreliable the position data is due to errors and maybe the offsets not being correctly entered. Or did she run into the marsh?

W.
I think there was about 4m tide at the time - if she is 88m long there isn't much room to turn around... so the GPS position doesn't look unreasonable, making allowance for where the antenna might be positioned....

1638900809293.png

PilotWolf

Visit site
I think there was about 4m tide at the time - if she is 88m long there isn't much room to turn around... so the GPS position doesn't look unreasonable, making allowance for where the antenna might be positioned....

View attachment 126957
I don’t know the area but I wouldn’t be happy swinging my bow over there based On that chartlet.

I already mentioned antenna location and offsets…

I just based on experience would not rely on AIS track data. especially from a 3rd party website.

Also where was she berthed? That track doesn’t look like she was alongside Oliver’s Wharf?

W

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
If you are quick you can still see the track on myshiptracking .com

View attachment 126941
Forgive my ignorance, but according to that track the ship has not turned round anywhere near the pontoons on the north shore. So if that is correct, what is the problem?
I have watched vessels in the Dutch canals perform some amazing manouvers without problems. Some onlookers panic when there is nothing to worry about whatsoever.

Cobra

Visit site
It's interesting that there have been accounts of so many near misses so recently yet no evidence. I wonder if they are being invented by people opposed by the proposed planning application for a marina there as mentioned by RivalRedwing? £2m Colne Marina plan for Brightlingsea proves controversial
The flip side of the coin is of course "Have these instances of near misses with little or no evidence been invented by persons wanting the Marina plans to proceed, knowing that commercial traffic could potentially prevent this happening?"
Having lived in Brightlingsea for all 65 years of my life and having been on the water for 60 of those years, the only incident I have EVER heard of/witnessed was about 40 years ago at Rowhedge Regatta. We had just come ashore after having left our Lasers at Wivenhoe Sailing Club and watched in disbelief as a laden coaster travelling downstream from Colchester misjudged the tidal strength and crushed a Mirror Offshore that was moored alongside The Anchor at Rowhedge. Whilst it is also fair to say that I do not sit at the waterside carefully monitoring every commercial vessels movements, incidents involving a coaster and a leisure craft will always set the tongues wagging amongst those who work on the water for a living.
As I said...one incident in 60 years where actual damage was caused...not a record of real concern (unless you happened to have been the poor sod that owned the little Mirror Offshore!).
At the end of the day, no one wants to see any damage inflicted on any boat and both Commercial and Leisure users should be able to exist in harmony. I am sure that if Tomahawk witnessed the pontoons being swamped then it did happen, hopefully there is some CCTV footage available so we can see for ourselves?

Tomahawk

Visit site
Cobra..
I can only report what I saw myself last summer when they broke the mooring line. And what I saw of the north bank of Cindry when the Dancia Hav reversed into it and got stuck leaving the bow to swing into the middle of the stream. Watch the video.

191021 – Google Drive

They had to rely on a non certified vessel as a tug. Both events came close to loosing control and being serious accidents. Two near misses in two years is two too many.

Cobra

Visit site
Cobra..
I can only report what I saw myself last summer when they broke the mooring line. And what I saw of the north bank of Cindry when the Dancia Hav reversed into it and got stuck leaving the bow to swing into the middle of the stream. Watch the video.

191021 – Google Drive

They had to rely on a non certified vessel as a tug. Both events came close to loosing control and being serious accidents. Two near misses in two years is two too many.
Tomahawk - I have watched the videos and have to agree that it was a close'ish call, but as the Dancia Hav came clear of Cindrey they seemed to get her back under control quite quickly with judicious use of power and rudder...also it would seem that the camera operator zoomed in for 'dramatic effect' making the event appear much closer than it probably was.

Hey! I don't know...I wasn't there and I am only interpreting what I can see on the video!

Having assisted taking a Thames Barge into the lock at Ipswich on several occasions, I can appreciate the issues that the Pilots face in manoeuvring something twice the size of our barge in the relatively confined waters of Brightlingsea Creek.

I can only agree though that there shouldn't be these close calls and if the responsibility lies with the Harbour Pilots, then maybe the harbour does need a suitably certified tug to be on station for every commercial movement in and out.

penfold

Visit site
Vessels that big should be turning before the island where the two channels divide, or not turning at all; more tug work but the channel is not wide enough to do otherwise.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Cobra,
It is the fact they actually rammed the rudder into Cindery that is so bad. That could have crippled her steering and lead to a far more serious accident.

As to the video, it was from the security cameras at Morgans

Aquaboy

Visit site
Are that dreadful word ' could' again.......
Having watched the vid I can't really see what they did so wrong.. Apart from backing up a little far when the bow had already cleared the corner of the quay with the swing. Tight spot and neatly done. As for the pontoon it needs more freeboard that's all.

Tomahawk

Visit site
It wasn’t the Twisteden... It was the Eems Sea.
rD6E1gJ.jpg

Last edited: