Marine toilets on the East Coast

Daydream believer

Visit site
On mine, I just open the outlet valve & pump a quantity of water through the heads as normal to flush through
My tank is in the line of the outlet so everything goes through it. If the outlet is open it just runs out. If closed the tank fills up. That is the theory, anyway :unsure:

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Same as Daydream Believer, wait until there's nobody nearby (I am, after all, a really nice kind considerate chap :D ), open the appropriately labelled dump valve below the holding tank and look the other way ...

johnalison

Visit site
As I understand it there are two types of tank: those that empty under gravity alone, such as ours, and those that need to be pumped, being below or at the waterline. Some of the latter act as part of the outlet path and all effluent goes into the tank, which works OK until it doesn't, as a friend found out. We attempt to empty ours out at sea, but on occasion are forced to do so in tidal waters near land where there are no specific regulations against it. We always try to do this on the ebb tide.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Interesting I will have to look at my setup. I have a deck fitting for pump out so Interested in how it all works.

johnalison

Visit site
I've never been keen on complicated systems. This is what can happen if someone puts kitchen paper into the holding tank and it can't be emptied at sea. A well- known local character is assisting.
'10b (53) copy.jpg

sailorman

Visit site
Hello all,

Apologies for the rather unsavoury topic!

I’ve just bought a boat which I intend to keep on the East Coast - specifically the Walton Backwaters and River Stour. It is fitted with a marine toilet, but no holding tank. I was planning on installing a tank and pumping it out when I visited marinas. I’ve checked, though, and I don’t think any of our local marinas have the facilities to pump out sewage...

I’m curious, therefore - what does everyone else do?

Advice would be greatly appreciated please! Thanks.
Rndyx hsve a very fine urinal flushing spperstious in the gebts loo