Marine Rated Battery Fuses

nigel1

Visit site
For anyone considering using these, or needs spares, Mouser UK are now listing them as being back in stock.
The fuses are listed at £6-51 each, and a double fuse holder at £8-18.
On the Mouser website, a search for 504-MRBF will find the fuses. Not all ratings are in stock, but I needed some 300 amp ones, and they were listed.
CFBAR2-M8XSP should bring up the double fuse holder (note, these do not include the rubber covers)
According to mouser website, price includes VAT and duty, and for orders over £33, shipping is free.
It looks like they ship direct from the USA. I put an order in last night, and had an email from them this morning to say items dispatched with expected delivery date 21st October,

These are good prices, marine chandlers are listing the fuses at around £15 each, and fuse holder's at £40, which is a big mark up for some Blue Sea's packaging.

prv

Visit site
Ah, I’d better not buy any then. The small AGM I use to start the engine is marketed as (among other things) a snowmobile battery ?

Pete

prv

Visit site
In all seriousness, I've just done a few minutes' investigation, and they do have one specific marine rating - SAE J1171 (though the datasheet actually typoes it as J1117, which is something to do with measuring hydraulic pressures...)

J1171 is about ignition protection - so presumably when these blow they won't throw a spark and ignite any fuel vapours hanging around. Only really relevant to petrol engines - and for all I know, all ceramic cube fuses have the same feature anyway.

Pete

pandos

Visit site
The fuses look like standard cube fuses:

CUBE FUSES
Paul.
That site lists many useful bits and pieces at good prices, I am thinking about doing an upgrade on my heavy wiring and it looks like a onestop shop for me...

I know there is a marine premium on some stuff and also that some automobile stuff is absolute crap quality.

Have you experience of the guys you linked to and is the quality of their stuff usually acceptable in a marine environment?...

Having removed non tinned cable, which was only 10 months old but was already black, from my first boat, (bought as marine cable from a Chandler) I am wary of saving pounds but ending up with crap stuff...

nigel1

Visit site
Paul.
That site lists many useful bits and pieces at good prices, I am thinking about doing an upgrade on my heavy wiring and it looks like a onestop shop for me...

I know there is a marine premium on some stuff and also that some automobile stuff is absolute crap quality.

Have you experience of the guys you linked to and is the quality of their stuff usually acceptable in a marine environment?...

Having removed non tinned cable, which was only 10 months old but was already black, from my first boat, (bought as marine cable from a Chandler) I am wary of saving pounds but ending up with crap stuff...

I've bought a fair number of items from Altec, even met the owner who lives not far from me.
Not had any issues with quality.
With regard to tinned/non tinned cable, I think if decent adhesive heat shrink is used on the cable lugs, and care taken to cover the inspection hole in the lug, corrosion should not be an issue.

nigel1

Visit site
The fuses look like standard cube fuses:

CUBE FUSES

I've been told that the standard cube fuses as listed on the Altec site will not fit the Bussmann fuse holders.
I liked the fuse holders as they have long studs and 2 oor 3 lugs can be stacked on the fuse and still leaves plkenty of room for a washer and the nut.
Few years back I fitted Trojan 6 V batteries and the stud length is minimal.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Paul.

I don't usually buy much from them, but have had a few odds and ends, no issues.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I've been told that the standard cube fuses as listed on the Altec site will not fit the Bussmann fuse holders.
I liked the fuse holders as they have long studs and 2 oor 3 lugs can be stacked on the fuse and still leaves plkenty of room for a washer and the nut.
Few years back I fitted Trojan 6 V batteries and the stud length is minimal.

I couldn't find details of the Bussman fuses to compare, but they do look similar.

Personally, i don't like stacking cables on battery terminals, i fit a single cable to a busbar.

Last edited:

dankilb

Visit site
‘nowt wrong with 12voltplanet.co.uk either, IMO

You can penny pinch further by trying to find identical items from eBay/Amazon sellers, on the basis that their stuff is more ‘mid-range’ and, with their profile and turnover of stock, they won’t sell the cheap(est) rubbish. (I mean identical not equivalent!)

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Marine fuses used to have a type of sand inside to stop any flash from the blown fuse wire inside causing damage

You can still buy sand filled fuses, the sand fulfilled various purposes, but none were "marine fuses", as stated in post #6 "No such animal as a "Marine rated Fuse" "