marine ply?

Visit site
Carpenter charged me top dollar to fit seats to my boat out of marine ply last week ,last night I noticed the off cuts under the boat had delaminate like banana skins, and that is after less than a week.
Receipt says marine ply from Jewsons.the boat is under cover at the moment so seats are OK but will delaminate soon as they get wet.

I have contacted the carpenter who did the job and he said to take it up with Jewsons, as they sold him carp ply, but as a chippy he should have seen that, should have he?

Last edited:

sarabande

Visit site
nope, if he invoiced you for marine ply, and it isn't , it is his problem.

He then has to take it up with Jewsons.

Have a quick owrd with your Trading Standards people. Take lots of photos of seats and the offcuts.

Davegriff

Visit site
Did a project some years ago and the 'marine ply' did the same. Appeared to have been glued with flour and water paste! Was told then it had been Chinese stuff, but hell of a game redoing the whole job. Probably legally the chippies problem but seems a bit unfair to me.

PaulMcC

Visit site
Carpenter charged me top dollar
I have contacted the carpenter who did the job and he said to take it up with Jewsons, as they sold him carp ply, but as a chippy he should have seen that, should have he?

I expect your argument should be with the person you paid.

fisherman

Visit site
nope, if he invoiced you for marine ply, and it isn't , it is his problem.

He then has to take it up with Jewsons.

Have a quick owrd with your Trading Standards people. Take lots of photos of seats and the offcuts.

+1. Make it plain you are familiar with Sale of Goods act 1979, your case is against the person you paid.

D

Deleted member 36384

This is a link to The Wikipedia section for Marine Ply:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1088

Note the statements on the glue. Quote this when discussing the issue with your crapenter and tell him you are not interested in contacting any of his suppliers, but that he now has to fix the problem.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Carpenter charged me top dollar to fit seats to my boat out of marine ply last week ,last night I noticed the off cuts under the boat had delaminate like banana skins, and that is after less than a week.
Receipt says marine ply from Jewsons.the boat is under cover at the moment so seats are OK but will delaminate soon as they get wet.

I doubt very much Jewsons sell marine ply. They might offer WBP but that shouldn't delaminate either.

www.bavariayacht.info

Poignard

Visit site
The crucial point is, was the material suitable for the purpose intended?

Anyone who builds/repairs boats ought to know that Jewson's Marine Ply (despite its name) is unsuitable for exterior use on a boat. 'Proper' marine ply, as sold by Robbins Timber Ltd, is of very high quality and very expensive.

Was the 'carpenter' an experienced boat builder or just some jobbing carpenter? If the former, he has no excuse. If the latter, he might claim that he had no reason to suppose that what was sold as 'marine ply' wasn't fit for the purpose intended but even so, he should have checked.

Last edited by a moderator:

PCUK

Visit site
Marine ply has a definite specification - 1088 or something. Jewson's definition is simply fraudulent advertising. They probably call their brass plated screws marine bronze. Even if they don't the same principle applies.

Visit site
Went to Jewsons, they gave me a full refund for the ply,Their wood guy is meeting my chippie at the boat next week. But I want a full refund of the 8 days it took to fit the seats, I think that's fair.
The ply is all bells and whistles and has a stamp with ' be 1088 ect' so should put up with a bitofdamp .

Last edited:

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
The other variable is the material of the plies. In an exposed position, you need decent veneers. Weight is quite a good indicator.

If Jewsons are at fault, the chippie could claim his restoration time back from them (although I wouldn't want the battle!).

sailorman

Visit site
Went to Jewsons, they gave me a full refund for the ply,Their wood guy is meeting my chippie at the boat next week. But I want a full refund of the 8 days it took to fit the seats, I think that's fair.
The ply is all bells and whistles and has a stamp with ' be 1088 ect' so should put up with a bitofdamp .
So i assume that you provided the jewson ply & employed a Joiner to make & fit. if so Jewson will only cover the materials not the labour.
you should have had a supply & fit deal with your Joiner