Marinas open for visiting day boats?

bdh198

Visit site
This has already been mentioned in another thread, but at 21 pages I fear some valuable information could get buried or missed. I’m primarily Solent based, but it would be interesting to get a picture nationwide.

So, apart from Lymington, does anyone know of any other marinas that are open for short stay visiting boats?

Also, did anyone visit Lymington over the bank holiday? I am tempted to do a day sail over there, but don’t want to be fighting for a berth with half the Solent fleet! I assume it is the town quay that’s open, and I haven’t been there since the redevelopment, but the old town quay could get a bit heavy on the rafting on a sunny weekend.

colhel

Visit site
East Cowes Marina is open for day visitors but they ask you phone first to check availability. The visitor area is being dredged at the moment but should be finished in the next few days and the pontoons bolted back on by this weekend

prv

Visit site
I must admit I’m a bit puzzled at the desire for short marina stays in the first place.

You’re not going to go ashore for a nice pub lunch, since they’re all closed. You could go and stroll around town, I suppose, but it seems a bit questionable under a regime where we’re still supposed to be minimising interaction with other people unless there’s a good reason - would you drive to another town at the moment just in order to walk up and down the high street?

So is the plan just to tie up to a pontoon and then sit on your boat? In that case, why not just anchor instead? It’s easier, the view’s probably nicer, you’re further away from other people, and (as I found yesterday lunchtime) the water’s just about getting warm enough for a short swim.

This isn’t intended as criticism so much as curiosity. For me at least, daytime “short stays” are for visiting shoreside facilities. If the facilities aren’t there, why the short stay?

Pete

V1701

Visit site
Finally found somewhere that will take a new annual contract, but this is not quite the same thing

It seems very odd to me that any marina that has space would not want to take a new customer. In your position I might be inclined to hang on in there for a bit if possible, in a few weeks they might be much more accommodating...

ryanroberts

Visit site
It seems very odd to me that any marina that has space would not want to take a new customer. In your position I might be inclined to hang on in there for a bit if possible, in a few weeks they might be much more accommodating...

Finally got an OK letter from Guernsey public health to go from airport -> boat -> UK and not have to self isolate for 2 weeks. Should hopefully fly over next week. I'll check to see if anyone else is offering berths. Bit want to load the boat this end / inevitable chandlery etc. A laundrette would be nice too

V1701

Visit site
Finally got an OK letter from Guernsey public health to go from airport -> boat -> UK and not have to self isolate for 2 weeks. Should hopefully fly over next week. I'll check to see if anyone else is offering berths. Bit want to load the boat this end / inevitable chandlery etc. A laundrette would be nice too

Great news, hope all goes well...:)