Marina fees

Bigplumbs

Visit site
But do you have a boat in a marina

Yes I do indeed and a separate swinging mooring both paid for and neither of which can be used......... I am not worried about this at all and do not want any money back. (And no I am not rich)

Last edited:

Scubadoo

Visit site
Many contracts will be starting in two day's time so some clarity from them would be appreciated, particularly for those unable to use their berths through no fault of their own.
To get the annual berth discounts with mdl, I imagine many like me paid their fees back January.

What clarity are you looking for, you are paying for a berth whether you use it or not, if the latter then your boat has to go somewhere and be charged for it.

BruceK

Visit site
Hey Roy. As I'm stuck on the hard Im paying for an empty berth and separately for quayside parking I'm not even allowed to use. Count your blessings man

Bigplumbs

Visit site
There are far more important things in life than money......…………………… and boats for that matter

We will all loose some money I think it would help every ones mental state if they just accepted that and got on with something nice and simple.

My wife just finished a Jig Saw we found in the cupboard which we think is over 35 years old. It gave us a lot of pleasure

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
To get the annual berth discounts with mdl, I imagine many like me paid their fees back January.

What clarity are you looking for, you are paying for a berth whether you use it or not, if the latter then your boat has to go somewhere and be charged for it.

In my case the boat was on the hardstanding (due to be launched early next week) when the marina closed down the boatyard operations, the email they sent to me - rather than the general email sent everyone - said they hadn't come to a decision as to whether they would continue to charge for storage or not.

I have a paid for berth in another marina (but the same group) which if they are going to charge storage costs then I would be minded to simply ask for part or full refund of my berthing fees. In the later case I will probably relocate to one which is in walking distance from my hone.

Ian h

Visit site
I am in a Dry stack and was all set to move to another Drystack from 1st April, New facility is independent run where as current is MDL.

I have managed to sort the situation out by speaking to both parties and have come to a mutually agreed resolution for all of us,

As the saying goes if you do not ask you do not get,

Dry stack berth holders you could say loose out even more as unlimited lift and recovery is included in your berthing fees. I hate to think what lift and recovery would cost if charged each time,

Momac

Visit site
The marina may be losing income from work that isn't being done on boats , lift outs and in not happening so no income from that ,no chandlery sales, no fuel sales and possible fuel issues developing due to that fuel sitting in the tank too long.........

They may be saving on hot water for the showers and bog but overall it sounds not too great to me.

[2068]

Visit site
On the basis that it's not the Marinas fault that we are in this situation, I am expecting nothing.
But if something does happen (a reduction of some sort) I will treat it as a pleasant surprise.

Old Harry

Visit site
The marina may be losing income from work that isn't being done on boats , lift outs and in not happening so no income from that ,no chandlery sales, no fuel sales and possible fuel issues developing due to that fuel sitting in the tank too long.........

They may be saving on hot water for the showers and bog but overall it sounds not too great to me.
Bozo offered a rates holiday, a bit of a saving there

Portofino

Visit site
Marinas may still be paying their staff and still maintaining the place.
They won't be getting any income from visitors or any sales such as fuel etc.
Tenants may not be able to pay rents, new bertholders may not be arriving resulting in empty berths.
Crown estates may still demand their cut for each berth.
Can't see how they can profit from this situation.
Why would anyone get a refund if your vessel is moored in their marina?
Boats due to leave but trapped may be able to continue with winter rates.
This ^^^ is a more accurate picture .
The net revenues will be down ....no fat on the lamb to share out .

Some once said re rail fares ....overcrowded trains inability to find a seat , the refund Q .
Answer is this “ small print in the t+c s says ticket is valid for the journey , not a seat “
Train Co has complied with its side of the contract even if you were sardined in aisle stud up with your head in another persons armpit .
So the fact you can’t use your boat , choose not to or in this case a wider national emergency makes it impossible it’s not the marinas interest at all .Why should it be ?
Did you sign a usage agreement?
Nope .
Your contact T+c,s has a refund section read it .Lack of use by the berth holders is not in there .
They are just providing and administering a berth on your behalf.

Any back of house business arrangements are frankly none of the berth holders business .
As long as the Co or owner holds there side of the agreement.

What about this ....if privately owned the guy wins €189million on the EU lottery ......
So someone in here starts a post “ my marina fees should be zero “
Or if Co owned by an Oligarch say Abramovich ( after flogging his footi club ) publicly moves to number 1 in the Sunday times rich list ....same forumite “ should my marina fees now be zero “

The financials of the management are really no business of the “ punters “ .

Furthermore .......that car park gravel , I don’t like .I,ll ask if the management don’t mind if I personally fund £250 K to have it resurfaced and new lights .....Hmm tell you what can we cover it with a roof .....it’s all on me my name is “ Mr generous Berthholder“..........that’s never gonna happen a berthholder splurging out is it ?

Vote as always with your feet not your mouth ......that’s my view .

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
On a similar note , I am working from home - usually work in an office 5 days a week

We are very busy and have continued to receive genuine new enquiries and needs of existing clients expanding.

Using electric on computer , needing heating on most day just now.
The office must be saving on electricity for heating/aircon , tea/coffee , cleaning, etc.
Nothing has been offered to us towards our home offices costs - a token sum would be nice. (Company's are not necessarily in business to be nice but the company I work for claims to put its people first).

Due to Covid have been instructed we must take 40% of our holiday by the end of July or lose it (not previously a requirement although we can only carry a max of 5 days over to the next year). Some folk had genuinely planned to take a longer holiday later in the year so they are not pleased.

Seems to me the firm is onto a good thing. To be fair some sectors of the business have had work cut.

I guess its all legal a some of our very senior directors are lawyers.

In the same way a marina charging full fees to park a boat remains legal .

Blue Sunray

Visit site
On a similar note , I am working from home - usually work in an office 5 days a week

We are very busy and have continued to receive genuine new enquiries and needs of existing clients expanding.

The office must be saving on electricity for heating/aircon , tea/coffee , cleaning, etc.
Nothing has been offered to us towards our home offices costs - a token sum would be nice. (Company's are not necessarily in business to be nice but the company I work for claims to put its people first).

Due to Covid have been instructed we must take 40% of our holiday by the end of July or lose it (not previously a requirement although we can only carry a max of 5 days over to the next year). Some folk had genuinely planned to take a longer holiday later in the year so they are not pleased.

Seems to me the firm is onto a good thing. To be fair some sectors of the business have had work cut.

It's not much, but you may be able to claim your additional costs as legitimate expenses against tax, I'd certainly be keeping records for that purpose.

Portofino

Visit site

Saving on transport costs ? Not going out means you must be quids in massively compared to pre C19 working arrangements.

If you worked for me and come up with that ....my immediate first thought would be “how replaceable are you “ ....followed by “ when “

Momac

Visit site
It's not much, but you may be able to claim your additional costs as legitimate expenses against tax, I'd certainly be keeping records for that purpose.

Cant say I am over concerned - but HMRC would allow a small payment tax free. So the idea of a small contribution is not as unreasonable as the person who posted above seems to think it is.
Claim tax relief for your job expenses.
Just trying to demonstrate there are situations other than marinas where a company may benefit from Covid - legally.

BruceK

Visit site
If you worked for me and come up with that ....my immediate first thought would be “how replaceable are you “ ....followed by “ when “

Thats the sad state of it these days which is why some companies are filled with 2ndrate staff. In your own words the good ones voted with their feet. Competition to be the best is very much a two way street.

Portofino

Visit site
Thats the sad state of it these days which is why some companies are filled with 2ndrate staff. In your own words the good ones voted with their feet. Competition to be the best is very much a two way street.
Agree .
For me the alleged bad Co owner or bad boss benefitting financially by day 10 (or what ever ? ) out of possibly 6 months ++ , I would hold fire on a request by a forced home worker over a 23p / day leccy sub .
Cash being king in hard times means I would leave any extra cash ( from this C19 crisis ) in the Co account until this thing is over and the future landscape is clearer .

Once it’s long gone and normality resumes , then decide how to use that “ extra “ windfall with a view to rewarding the loyal staff who stud by me and went the extra mile or “2 miles “ in Martyns case :) .
-Bonus .
-higher than normal pay rise .
- more holiday etc .
- sympathy with future requests to work from home .......he’s now established he can do it well .

Stuff like that ..........but later not now .