Many riding out Storm Evert in the Scillies ?

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
It was a strange summer. As peeps in the south were getting battered, and multiple damaging storms rattled through the Scillies, at t'other end of the country we were drifting about on endless calm days going nowhere slowly. Conditions at top of country are usually grim in August. This year it was almost pleasant.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I watched that video and I was amazed that they were both not wearing life jackets all the time in those conditions. He said that one of his three lines had chaffed through. I am not one to wear life jackets unless I perceive the need, so for me it is all about conditions and risk, so each skipper has to make his own decision. I thought his decision was odd given the number of boats in trouble and the conditions.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I watched that video and I was amazed that they were both not wearing life jackets all the time in those conditions. He said that one of his three lines had chaffed through. I am not one to wear life jackets unless I perceive the need, so for me it is all about conditions and risk, so each skipper has to make his own decision. I thought his decision was odd given the number of boats in trouble and the conditions.
Agreed, I thought it odd too.

We only had a quick glimpse of the lines on the mooring but they seemed like 14mm docklines or suchlike. Being an "optimist who carries a raincoat" I always carry on board a 24mm heavy nylon mooring strop with a hard eye and shackle (and anti-chafe) for deployment in such conditions. Given the foreast I'd have shackled it to the mooring buoy (from the dinghy before it blew up) and then added two more lines, as he did, as fallback lines. I've been in New Grimsby in F7 conditions, that wasn't pleasant either....

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
I think I was likewise puzzled that they were out in the cockpit not wearing or considering lifejackets, however their boat seemed well under control and provided their lifejackets were at hand they would have a a few minutes before they hit rocks if anchor dragged, and a few minutes before sinking if rammed by another boat. Their air of competence impressed me - I noted for instance that they started with 3 warps to the buoy.

The problem for those anchoring is that storms can veer and back and it was after anchoring with 2 anchors in F7 in New Grimsby sound maybe 4 years ago, I decided that one big modern anchor was preferable instead if we got spun around. Sold that boat but kept anchor- a nice Supreme

lustyd

Visit site
Of course, if the next stop is rocks capable of holing a yacht, I'm not sure what benefit a lifejacket would be in any case. quite the contrary, you'd likely spend all your time between yacht and pointy rock trying to deflate and remove the thing preventing your movement!

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Huh ? My post was about El vagabond and your suggestion that she only had one anchor. I'm not sure what your trying to say about locations
Which video are you discussing in your post 86*. I was talking about the video in post *77, which is by the crew of boat in New Grimsby who mention they have triple warps to a buoy and then show morning after video of Cromwells Castle and New Grimsby Sound before walking over to inspect the wrecked boat in St Helens

Others have commented on youtube that video title was confusing. Sailing Cadoha made video mentioning wrecking of Vagabond

You are right in that wrecked boat had second and possible inferior anchor that kelped and failed when the CQR dragged and then got lost.

Rappey

Visit site
Which video are you discussing in your post 86
I'm not discussing any video with her anchor situation. El vagabonds home mooring is/was just along from my mooring and also seen her many times on our local pontoon where I have always seen two anchors on the bow.

Then I refered to Cadoha video about him saying the boat may have been moored.

Confusion fixed :ROFLMAO: