Mansion supreme

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I have inherited a Manson Supreme 28kg when I bought a new to me 47 footer around 10000kg
Should I change it to a Rocna or Mantus or is this type okay.

Last edited:

dslittle

Visit site
Is it Bonfire Night already???
In answer though, I’ve got a Manson Supreme for our 45 footer and it’s keeps us where we plant it...

noelex

Visit site
The Manson Supreme is an excellent anchor in my view. The Rocna is a little better and the Mantus M1 is a little better again, but given the cost of changing would be significant, I would stick with Manson Supreme.

The only caution I would suggest is to avoid the rock slot for overnight or unattended anchoring.

Here is a Manson Supreme in action:
CK5W1Rb.jpg

Quiddle

Visit site
I had a Manson on my last boat and was very happy with it. I now have a Spade which I am equally happy with. The Manson replaced a Brittany so the comparison starts from a low base.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
The Manson Supreme is an excellent anchor in my view. The Rocna is a little better and the Mantus M1 is a little better again, but given the cost of changing would be significant, I would stick with Manson Supreme.

The only caution I would suggest is to avoid the rock slot for overnight or unattended anchoring.

Here is a Manson Supreme in action:
CK5W1Rb.jpg
Sorry I have only had Delta before.
What is the rock slot?

noelex

Visit site
Sorry I have only had Delta before.
What is the rock slot?

The Manson Supreme has a couple of connection points for the anchor shackle/swivel. The first is a conventional oval hole. The second is a long slot traversing the length of the shank. The idea of this latter connection point is that if the anchor jams, for example under a rock, the shackle will slide forward and trip out the anchor. The problem is with a wind shift the shackle can also slide forward and in this situation you do not want the anchor to trip out.

In practice this is not a problem providing you are aware of the issue. It is easy to simply use the conventional attachment point.

This photo I took of a rare bent Manson Supreme illustrates both the rock slot as well as the conventional attachment point.

img_2410372_0_fa093e5c2d126cfc3e398a434be97334.jpg

Last edited:

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Manson Supreme is a very good anchor. Think it might be debatable about the Rocna being better. They are very very similar.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The Manson Supreme has a couple of connection points for the anchor shackle/swivel. The first is a conventional oval hole. The second is a long slot traversing the length of the shank. The idea of this latter connection point is that if the anchor jams, for example under a rock, the shackle will slide forward and trip out the anchor. The problem is with a wind shift the shackle can also slide forward and in this situation you do not want the anchor to trip out.

In practice this is not a problem providing you are aware of the issue. It is easy to simply use the conventional attachment point.

We never use the trip slot, partly because we don't want it tripping as you mention with wind/tide shift but secondly, it won't ride over the bow roller on retrieval if the slot is used. Excellent anchor, have had ours for a few years and so far hasn't dragged.

Neeves

Visit site
The Manson Supreme is rated by Lloyds as a Super High Holding Power anchor, historically the same rating as a Rocna or Spade. It will have twice the hold of a Delta, rated by Lloyds as a High Holding Power anchor for the same weight of anchor

I have tested all of these anchors, using a load cell to determine hold, and can confirm the data. The data is also confirmed by a number of other independent tests published in a variety of sailing magazines.

The Mantus M1 has never been tested independently, unless you count me as being independent, and when I test it the anchor, for the same weight, has a hold a little better than a Delta - and I would not touch it - as there are better anchors available.

If you want to know why the Mantus M1 has a poor hold read this article:

An Inquiry into Anchor Angles - Practical Sailor

To make it clear - there is nothing wrong with a Mantus but if you value holding capacity then a Supreme is almost twice as good, for the same weight.

To add to the article - the Mantus is an unballasted anchor, there is no extra weight in the toe, it is like a Bugel, or a welded up Danforth or Brittany (with roll bar) or a Knox. The junction of the shank and fluke for unballasrted anchors is always at the rear of the fluke (lots of research backs this up) but on the Mantus it is simply too far forward. I have tested the Mantus, as is, but if I drill new holes further back - I improve the hold.

Some one will pipe up and say the Mantus is ballasted and will show pictures of the ballast. The ballast illustrated in probably there to strengthen the toe and weighs 0.28kg on a 15kg anchor. The ballast on a 15kg Rocna (which is a ballasted anchor) weighs 3.5kg.

Don't touch the Mantus M1 with a barge pole - hype and good photographs don't make a good anchor.

I would question anyone able to differentiate between a Manson Supreme and Rocna - one may be better than the other but in another seabed the improvement may disappear - basically the differences are not discernible. I have tested both, with a load cell, and used both in a variety of seabeds - and blindfold I cannot tell the difference.

Any anchor can bend (if abused) - I have pictures of a bent Rocna - so don't worry about it. Reports over the last few years of bent Supreme, or Rocna are like hens teeth.

As confirmed above - you will be fine with a Supreme and the weight seems perfectly acceptable - go and enjoy your new vessel :)

Jonathan

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest