Man hit with £5k fine

normskib

Visit site
According to the Richmond and Twickenham Times a man from Kingston has been fined £5000 after he moored his boat on the stretch of the river Thames owned by the EA Stephen Crow moored his 85 foot and powered houseboat hope 5 to the EA Riverbanks at Wharton for what the agency called periods far longer than the maximum 24 hours allowed on that part of the river Thames are cool heard how the EA subsequently began issuing him with notices as far back as May 2019 directing crow to move the vessel on eventually the EA launched legal proceedings at Steins magistrate court Crow pleaded guilty to not complying with the directions of the harbourmaster he told the court he had sold the boat in June 2021 and was given a conditional discharge 12 for 12 months and ordered to pay £5000 towards the EA’s costsAnd the victim surcharge of £22 . Could this be the start of something big or just a flash in the pan .

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Thanks found it with Google.

Slightly odd for the picture to be of the private moorings behind Black Boy island near Hurley !

Lazy journalism I guess.

Is this really supposed to be Walton on Thames ?? Giggle
12941113.jpg

Momac

Visit site
Not that it matters really but............ it was not a £5000 fine but an order to pay towards the costs incurred by the EA.

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
I think we can assume thay the EA's costs were also far in excess of £5K so financially it's a 'loose loose'. (Doesn't mean the action wasn't worth taking, but until the EA get the power to seize such boats it's unlikely to deter future miscreants).

oldgit

Visit site
I think we can assume thay the EA's costs were also far in excess of £5K so financially it's a 'loose loose'. (Doesn't mean the action wasn't worth taking, but until the EA get the power to seize such boats it's unlikely to deter future miscreants).

They will also be lumbered with storing/insuring and stopping the thing sinking before finding new home for it, either by tender or auction most probably at near scrap prices. ?
The EA will need to find a buyer who is aware of the all the problems which will go with this vessel.
Loads of old barge/ lighter hulls for conversion on the market.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
85ft boat I reckon it's steel.

If it was wood or GRP that's even worse. At least steel has some value. Cutting up a GRP that big is not going to be cheap.

Wood it could be for the fire but that is a lot of waste to deal with.

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Yes sorry I wasn't suggesting your method was wrong but as the vessel in question is 85ft long and at a guess maybe 16ft wide it would be a major job to break it up and an expensive one if it isn't made of steel.

I don't know for sure what boat it is as have not bothered going below Staines this year and don't remember the name but I do recall a converted motorised lighter type vessel with a double deck cabin arrangement turning up in the Walton area a few years ago. Green thing. The story was they had a mooring at Shanly Porthampton moorings but when the boat arrived they were refused.

Sounds like a made up story to me as mooring providers would usually ask for a photo of boat before accepting it.

So the boat was generally hanging around in the shepperton and Walton area.

Anyway I think that's probably which boat it is as it is not one of Trotmans slum boats.