MAN have nailed it in 1 .

sarabande

Visit site
That was worth the reading, Porto, thanks. Someone at MAN has been doing a lot of clever thinking. All I need is for them to develop a hybrid system of 1/100th the capacity and I will rush out and buy one.

Portofino

Visit site
That was worth the reading, Porto, thanks. Someone at MAN has been doing a lot of clever thinking. All I need is for them to develop a hybrid system of 1/100th the capacity and I will rush out and buy one.
Well in the classic car world they are fitting Tesla motors to anything .Ripping out the petrol though .
Point is you can drive your E type , Ferrari , Chevy ,Porsche etc etc in to wholly EV only areas .Some folks live in them and want to stay with the car so retro fitters have pooped up .

Back to boats .Simplistically it’s a electric motor in between the g box and engine .Doubles up as a geny and has a clutch .

So it might ( space permitted ) be able to retro fit a kit on old boats .
Plus add batts etc .Batt size is up to you of course .But thus you meet the new concept of being able to enter a ECA ….which could even be a port on day ??

vas

Visit site
Agree, nice setup for a 60-70footer. As sarabande says, would like to see the scale down version for 30-40ft planning boats as well as sailling boats (without a geny - probably skip a couple of modes)
Space permitting is the key, actually, doesn't even have to be MAN, it has to do with gbox more than anything and some relatively simple electronics for deciding modes.

So expect twindisk/technodrive and zf to bring out same length but double storey gboxes with the el. engine on top coming up to the top of the block sort of level and fancy decoupling kit...
interesting for sure with a couple of tesla powerbanks under the salon sofa :cool:
V.

BruceK

Visit site
Agree, nice setup for a 60-70footer.

Very nice indeed, and you can add to your crew a highly paid engineer to run and maintain it. I love the concept but dislike the complexity and if you've seen the lash back on Tesla because of the paucity of qualified AND knowledgeable engineers this one may be less than a doozy.

Portofino

Visit site
Well
Very nice indeed, and you can add to your crew a highly paid engineer to run and maintain it. I love the concept but dislike the complexity and if you've seen the lash back on Tesla because of the paucity of qualified AND knowledgeable engineers this one may be less than a doozy.
Well there is that .Think IPS x ( insert your figure ? ) .

It ticks a box to enter a ECA “ sorry guv me batts are flat “ as you chug in under diesel. :D

BruceK

Visit site
Well

Well there is that .Think IPS x ( insert your figure ? ) .

It ticks a box to enter a ECA “ sorry guv me batts are flat “ as you chug in under diesel. :D

I meant in comparison to your conventional shaft drive. Dont get me wrong. I think it's an awesome first step but wail over the loss of bygone simplicity. You know, something we could all do basic work on. If we are concerned about the advent of ECU and common rail, what will this all entail? And by how much will it drive boat ownership costs up by?

Portofino

Visit site
I meant in comparison to your conventional shaft drive. Dont get me wrong. I think it's an awesome first step but wail over the loss of bygone simplicity. You know, something we could all do basic work on. If we are concerned about the advent of ECU and common rail, what will this all entail? And by how much will it drive boat ownership costs up by?
A 5 year old ones sale survey will be ring twitching for the seller me thinks .

Skill level of techs ?

like cars / auto the rest will follow , VP , Cummins , Nani etc etc .
Arguably Nani ( Toyota base. ) will or should have a bit of leg up from the road side of the group ?

prinex

Visit site
Well this looks like any of the antics the engine makers are pulling out of the hat just so that they don't go out of business one day. We bitch all time about complexity and how classical propeller system are so much more reliable than IPS ... well lets put an hybrid system in the equation and a electromagnetic clutch and and ...

I get what they want to do but a) either just the bay is ECA - get a decent electric outboard and motor your rib to the beach. or b) the whole island so what's the point of being able to cruise 20 miles at 8kn with your big boat.

As long as W/kg ratio of diesel to batteries is 27:1 there is not much you can do, you range is simply 1/27 of the diesel quantity you can carry if you want the same boat weight (ok 1/14 actually, electric engines weigh 100 kg not 1000). But replacing 2000kq of engines and 2000lt diesel tanks with 4 tons of batteries ... what about a sailing boat ?

Alicatt

Visit site
It's kind of reminiscent of a friend that had to keep 3 types of fuel for his ship, Bunker for out on the open ocean, heavy oil/diesel for when he got close to land and places that had some restrictions, and ultra low sulphur diesel for some American ports.

So now it is going to be batteries to get you in and out of the marina and diesel with adblue for out in the Med.

Bouba

Visit site
Hybrid in boats has been around for several years now. For 90% of my journeys and 90% of my speeds, electric would suit me perfectly

vas

Visit site
Hybrid in boats has been around for several years now. For 90% of my journeys and 90% of my speeds, electric would suit me perfectly
but 90% of your boat would disagree carrying around an extra ton of batteries. nor 90% of your wallet paying for them. Unless you don't move more than 5miles from your mooring (in which case 90% of the forum members would think you're nuts...)
:p

Portofino

Visit site
Not to this level of “ modes “

You are kinda saying to Musk that battery EV s have been around for years, they have but not to his Tesla’s level .

DE45C6A3-447C-4026-8E47-1E7B58FC1BEF.jpeg
A Greenline hybrid is this ^^^ in comparison to what MAN have just beaten the competition with .

A097BEC5-05B5-4728-B42C-F57F863EB5C6.jpeg
^^^Is now the milk float tech ^^^

Bouba

Visit site
Not to this level of “ modes “

You are kinda saying to Musk that battery EV s have been around for years, they have but not to his Tesla’s level .

View attachment 122069
A Greenline hybrid is this ^^^ in comparison to what MAN have just beaten the competition with .

View attachment 122070
^^^Is now the milk float tech ^^^
I was just parked next to a Greenline 45, I didn’t seen any hybrid technology but it was an impressive boat