Malta

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I know there quite a lot of cruisers who read this forum but don't post or are members of YBW in the marinas in Sicily who may be heading for Malta over the next month th.
I now had a few reports that Transport for Malta are stopping people anchoring , telling them its no longer allowed around the Maltese island .
We not yet got the full story, we don't know if its just bored staff trying to drum up business for marina or if its just a temporary thing,
There is nothing to suggest this is the case , I can't find anything in the notices to mariners ,
We know of quite a lot of cruiser and yachting business as well as contract at the RMYC and are trying to get to the bottom of it .
I suggest anyone who plain to visit the island to write to TM and get upto date info before going .

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
As I thought its TM staff over doing their authorise.
Copy of the email I received from TM .

Reference is made to your query hereunder.

Please note that from our end, no new rules in respect of anchoring have been introduced. Anchoring of pleasure craft is not allowed in those areas which are marked as restricted for anchoring in terms of Malta’s official Nautical Charts, those prohibited in terms of the Notices to Mariners that are issued periodically, and other areas which found in legislation, like for example sewage outlets, which are also charted.

Anchoring must also respect the local legislation regarding navigation, safety of navigations, environment, and fiscal and immigration issues – like for example all vessels calling Maltese waters must be properly and validly registered and covered by insurance for pollution, salvage and wreck, equipped with all the necessary equipment and having on board all statutory documentation and navigational information; the master/skipper must be properly certified; vessels must not be left anchored unattended; and no pollution is to take place. Herewith attaching a Port Notice that was issued in 2018 regulating such.

Kindly advise who gave this information to the visting sailors about no anchoring in any of the bays of Malta.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further information or clarifications.

Kind regards,

Robert

Robert Vassallo
Senior Manager Legal, EU and International Affairs
Ports and Yachting Directorate
+356 25554552 / +365 79201399
robert.a.vassallo@transport.gov.mt
Home - Transport Malta
Malta Transport Centre, Triq Pantar, Lija LJA2021, Malta

sailaboutvic

Visit site
After more communications with TM two things need to be considered when visting Malta
Dinghy have to have TT and the name of the boat clearly visible .
And
Anchoring is not permitted anywhere in Marsamxett as it is considered a Port without permission of port control ,
I have to say that not going to happen your more lightly get told to use a marina.
So for many of us who have used the anchorage out side RMYC over many years you may find now you may be turned away.

This is a bit unfortunate as some of the safe anchorages the likes of Rinella Bay , Marsaxlokk , Birzebbugh Bay can be class as being inside a Port.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Malta is planning to offer tourism upto 200 euros a day if you stay more then three days on the islands .
Now where do I apply :)
You do have to stay in an hotel tho .:)

Last edited:

Yngmar

Visit site
T/T is short for "tender to", something the authorities in some places like you to write on your dinghy, so it can be associated with your big boat. So if your boat is called "Barbaria", your dinghy would need "T/T Barbaria" written on it. Boaters genereally dislike this, because it makes it obvious from the dinghies docked in town which big boats are currently likely to be unoccupied.

Leopard%2027%20yacht%20for%20sale%206.jpg