Making fast in a marina

franksingleton

weather.mailasail.com
It was sights such as this, that led to my OP.
When on the move, we usually take a line through the pontoon cleat and return to the boat when possible. It usually is. Chafe is minimal as the line is not sliding past the cleat, it stretches and contracts.
On a permanent berth, we would have double lines, either made fast to cleats or through poly tubing.

Stemar

Visit site
I would agree that an eye on a cleat, whether it be spliced or tied does open up possibilities of chafe. Am I right in thinking that the RYA recommends putting a full turn around the cleat to prevent chafe if using a tied eye? I've a vague recollection of that from my dazed kipper course.

Refueler

Visit site
I would agree that an eye on a cleat, whether it be spliced or tied does open up possibilities of chafe. Am I right in thinking that the RYA recommends putting a full turn around the cleat to prevent chafe if using a tied eye? I've a vague recollection of that from my dazed kipper course.

Interesting ... sounds like someone taking full size practice and applying to yotties. Ships advice is to put a full turn round the TWO bits before doing the X 's .. this is to make easing the line less friction when letting go and also to prevent binding.

Stemar

Visit site
Interesting ... sounds like someone taking full size practice and applying to yotties. Ships advice is to put a full turn round the TWO bits before doing the X 's .. this is to make easing the line less friction when letting go and also to prevent binding.
I always take a turn around the cleat when attaching a line - it's the O of the OXXO. I'm talking about using a bowline to make an eye and putting that on a cleat, or one of those god-awful loops I've seen in Titchmarsh and Cherbourg. Put a full turn on then make the eye and it won't chafe

Those loops do encourage you not to clutter them up with string, but they're a royal pain when wind and tide are conspiring against you and you need to get a line ashore in a hurry.

Refueler

Visit site
I always take a turn around the cleat when attaching a line - it's the O of the OXXO. I'm talking about using a bowline to make an eye and putting that on a cleat, or one of those god-awful loops I've seen in Titchmarsh and Cherbourg. Put a full turn on then make the eye and it won't chafe

Those loops do encourage you not to clutter them up with string, but they're a royal pain when wind and tide are conspiring against you and you need to get a line ashore in a hurry.

One of the items I teach newbies to boating - is to make sure you make fast such that you can always let go. So often you see loops / eyes on bits or working part of line topmost - that if weather turns nasty or boat is hard on the line - there is no way you let go without a knife. Similarly - you see some do maybe 1 or two X's and then a hitch locking it. Great until it gets wet and tightens ...

Thread Drift : Do you know if Brian is still around who sold me Superanne out of Gosport Cruising Club ? If he is - I know he was very proud of SA ... let him know she's still gracing the waves ...