Making fast in a marina

Daydream believer

Visit site
No, If you tie on over someone else's line with a RTHH, they will have to untie it and hold onto it while they release their own line. If both lines have a loop which is attached "up-and-over", either skipper can release the loop from the cleat without disturbing the other boat's line..
Correct, which is what I also have stated elswhere. However, I might ask if you have edited post #40, because I thought you were commenting on someone else's post & saying the opposite of what it reads & what you are now saying. If not then perhaps I misunderstood your comment.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Presumably in this case the line will be attached to the boat's midships cleat at its centre point and made off on the respective pontoon cleats with OXOs, leaving the excess line on the pontoon.
Yup, that's how we do it. Excess all flemished down, of course. The cleat is a reasonable size, but won't take two ropes.

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
We haven’t even got onto rafting yet.
ps. Please don’t.
Too much of an invitation that.....

Once, in Fowey, a large yacht came alongside and asked to raft. Yes, I said, no problem.

Skipper had crew pass over 4 bowlines. 2 to the amidships cleat, one at each end. Perfection. They never stepped aboard our boat. All tied down and done in a minute. I've always followed the same principle thereafter. How it should be done.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Skipper had crew pass over 4 bowlines. 2 to the amidships cleat, one at each end. Perfection. They never stepped aboard our boat. All tied down and done in a minute. I've always followed the same principle thereafter. How it should be done.
No shorelines?

Daydream believer

Visit site
No shorelines?
I always ask the rafting yacht skipper NOT to use shore lines unless there are lots of boats rafting. The first point is that if done too tightly it crushes my fenders & they often squeek.
The second, is that if they go in square they do not stop the boat moving fore & aft anyway so are pointless. They need to go off at an angle of 45 degrees at least; then they may foul boats in the next raft. It would sometimes be better if they tied to the next boat in the next line of rafts if ( for instance) we were the middle raft of 3 sets of rafts.

I do get a bit worried when a boat much larger than mine wants to raft up. My boat is 31 feet & anything 40 ft plus is really too big unless very calm & for one night only & with only one 40 ft boat rafted. I have had a big boat raft to me then a couple of 45 fters , seeing that one think it is Ok for them to jump on as well. Unfortunately I was not there when they arrived, but a chat to the HM got them moved.

Last edited:

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I can think of very few places we have stayed where significant boat movement occurred even in bad weather, the exceptions generally being moorings....

Experiences vary.

Ocean City, NJ often has a major surge. I've seen boats moving 2-4 feet, with considerable force, several time a minute.This is with zero wind. In fact, about 1/3 of the time I have been there boarding was quite tricky, with the boat moving fast (no floating docks, so the lines must be long enough to acomodate 4-5 feet on a normal tide, and 5-8 feet when summer storms come within a few hundred miles.

Any large river with barge traffic.

Exposed slips in gusty weather. My last slip was calm. Now I am at the end and there is a LOT more gusting and tugging, both wind, wave, and wakes. Lines (same size) wear in ways they did not with my last boat, which weighed 3 times as much!

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Talking of surge , one wonders what the situation will be in the new Dover harbour when they do finally open. :rolleyes:
I dont think the new Dover marina will be any worse for swell than many others. Their problem is that they are moving boats from their existing berths in the tidal basin and Granville dock which are both very sheltered. A step in the wrong direction for those owners perhaps and I assume the prices will go up as well. A case of "The butter ration will go up from three packs to two packs so be grateful for that"

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Correct, which is what I also have stated elswhere. However, I might ask if you have edited post #40, because I thought you were commenting on someone else's post & saying the opposite of what it reads & what you are now saying. If not then perhaps I misunderstood your comment.
No, Post#40 is unedited. I was replying to Poignards statement that he feels that a RT&2HH is best for allowing the cleat to be shared , by saying that it's better to use a loop 'up and over' , and repeating the same in Post#79.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
The most interesting rafting/not rafting is star buoys in certain french harbours such as Huat. Every boat has bow line to ring on the buoy and then has stern line to stern of next boat but not too tight. Ok for first boats but eventually the circle is near complete and the empty sector only maybe a boat width. A final stern line will steady the circle but prevent another boat mooring. Without the final stern line, if the other lines are too slack the whole lot can drift so circle closes with a bump, not the weight of a single boat but a whole parcel of them.

johnalison

Visit site
The past masters in mooring in congested places are the Swedes. It doesn’t matter if the harbour is full; they will just poke their bow in and elbow the others aside.