Making fast in a marina

Daydream believer

Visit site
I can think of very few places we have stayed where significant boat movement occurred even in bad weather,
I was in Ostend years ago when I ended up letting my Stella drift away from the pontoon to avoid some damage. I then went with my sleeping bag & pillow & slept on the dock wall at the end of the RNSYC whilst other owners spent the night trying to prevent their boats crashing together. I have been in Peterhead where I have had to tie between 2 pontoons so that my boat touched neither in bad conditions. I checked with the HM that this was Ok and there were spare berths. Several boats did this. I am told that Ramsgate & Lowestoft can be difficult, although I have been in Ramsgate sheltering from gales & personally found it OK.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
What can be annoying is when one wants to go into a seemingly empty berth only to find the boat next to it has placed a line across to the opposite pontoon thus blocking it off. Being single handed I can do little about it &I have to look for alternatives. If I have a crew I put one ashore to remove the line .
It seems to be prevalent in French marinas, particularly Le Havre, where I regularly come across it in the outer harbour.
Dutch MOBOs seem to like putting their tender alongside to prevent rafting. Another annoying trick.

Refueler

Visit site
I think that this kind of carelessness has increased, and it has become harder to correct people who have adopted a sense of entitlement. There is a special Baltic version, which consists of putting a self-tightening slip hitch on your line above that of the earlier shared occupant of a pole. This makes the usual exit method of slipping your loop up through the later loop and over the pole absolutely impossible, and I have sometimes been tempted to use a knife.

Interested in this 'Baltic' version and how it gets named ??

I live in / sail the Baltic and I have to say generally see much better regard here than I did in the Solent etc. Stockholm Archipelago ... many times noted boats re-arranging lines / mooring to allow others in, open up cleats / bollards etc.

Just interested in the naming ...

Refueler

Visit site
Gosh, don't we sailors have a hard time of it! Pile of rope left on the pontoon? - if it's genuinely a hazard, then just accidentally kick it into the water. Other people's ropes clogging the cleat? - undo them, tie them better and perhaps the miscreants will learn how it should be done when they come to depart.

That's fine but I suggest take care - there are some real a*****es out there who would not take it kindly having anyone 'interfere' with their crap.
I'm a bit wary of the 'kick rope into the water' ... given the sloppy nature of the ropes owner - could lead to rope in prop and we all know the language that can lead to !

Re-making lines fast ? I have done it - but only after asking the lines owner ... I don't want any a******e accusing me of their lines letting go ... I know it sounds crazy - but I know of a case in Cowes where a sloppy line let go and even though the other baot had not touched that line - fact they'd re-made another to allow them to use the cleat as well - led to an argument on the pontoon. Some do-gooder who should have minded own business told owner about the other guy ...

Refueler

Visit site
If you can't tie knots, tie lots. This is how the British Army (infantry) tied up my boat one time; it certainly wasn't going anywhere. View attachment 117054

That reminds me when my forestay parted outside Bembridge ... winds were building to F7 and we were at risk of blown onto Fort's rocks ... Called Solent CG and asked assistance. The Outboard on back end had swamped with the pitching of the boat.
Bembridge LB came out and we had a Rocket Line ... Towing ... event !

The LB guys once we had been pulled clear then set the tow line to take us back into Bembridge. That photo resembles their tow line on the LB cleat !! (My sincere thanks to LB guys - sincerely grateful for their efforts and skill).

mrming

instagram.com
I was in Ostend years ago when I ended up letting my Stella drift away from the pontoon to avoid some damage. I then went with my sleeping bag & pillow & slept on the dock wall at the end of the RNSYC whilst other owners spent the night trying to prevent their boats crashing together. I have been in Peterhead where I have had to tie between 2 pontoons so that my boat touched neither in bad conditions. I checked with the HM that this was Ok and there were spare berths. Several boats did this. I am told that Ramsgate & Lowestoft can be difficult, although I have been in Ramsgate sheltering from gales & personally found it OK.

I was in Ramsgate for a week last month. Tied up in my usual fashion (warps, springs and fenders) after a tiring passage from the Solent. The pontoons are very low. There was a storm during the week and when I returned I was surprised to see a lot of marks, high up on my gelcoat, but clearly from the pontoon edge. It looked like the wind had leaned the boat right over for a prolonged period and the fenders had been squeezed out in the process. Wasn’t expecting that!

Euphonyx

Visit site
What can be annoying is when one wants to go into a seemingly empty berth only to find the boat next to it has placed a line across to the opposite pontoon thus blocking it off. Being single handed I can do little about it &I have to look for alternatives. If I have a crew I put one ashore to remove the line .
It seems to be prevalent in French marinas, particularly Le Havre, where I regularly come across it in the outer harbour.
Dutch MOBOs seem to like putting their tender alongside to prevent rafting. Another annoying trick.
Never thought of that! ?

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I've never seen a problem with that, When I have both forward and backward springs from the midships cleat, what does it matter if it's all one rope?
Presumably in this case the line will be attached to the boat's midships cleat at its centre point and made off on the respective pontoon cleats with OXOs, leaving the excess line on the pontoon.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I think that you have that the wrong way round perhaps ?????
No, If you tie on over someone else's line with a RTHH, they will have to untie it and hold onto it while they release their own line. If both lines have a loop which is attached "up-and-over", either skipper can release the loop from the cleat without disturbing the other boat's line..