Making a mistake

Roby

Visit site
I am seriously thinking of selling my sealine F33 flybridge boat and going back to, say a benetaeu 331, I am quite fit cycle 10k most days but at the age of 70 most people are going the other way ie from sail to motor. This will probably be my last boat so want to get it right. Any thoughts please.

dom

Visit site
I am seriously thinking of selling my sealine F33 flybridge boat and going back to, say a benetaeu 331, I am quite fit cycle 10k most days but at the age of 70 most people are going the other way ie from sail to motor. This will probably be my last boat so want to get it right. Any thoughts please.

70 eh? Why you’ll just be graduating from Montessori School on here! ?

Follow your heart in the great Stink vs. Rag debate, as cycling 10k a day you’re good to go either way ?

r_h

www.rupertholmes.co.uk
When I was young I knew a guy who bought his first sailing boat aged 75. He had retired to the Isle of Wight at 65 and bought a motor boat (his first boat) on the assumption he would soon be too old for sailing.
10 years later, and more or less just as fit as at 65, he figured there was still nothing stopping him learning to sail...

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
No time to lose, do it sharpish........

James_Calvert

Visit site
If you can't have both, why not?

I'm 66 and wouldn't dream of taking that much exercise. Never did.

We have had the same 32 foot sailing cruiser since our 30s.

So long we've still got the agility and upper body strength to work and move ourselves around a boat that may be heeled over and being buffeted by the sea, and the stamina for longer passages I can't see why we couldn't carry on indefinitely.

Other factors must be just the same for a motor boat?

ithet

Visit site
I hope I will still be sailing my Beneteau 331 at 70, and I do not cycle! Wife might like a Sealine by then though.

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
Go for it! If it all gets too much, just motor/motorsail the Beneteau in a more gentlemanly manner than one would the Sealine. If there is a SWMBO about she may take more persuading though.

Get one with a furling main perhaps?

Actually, maybe blag a trip on a similar yacht first. You too may find the downsizing uncomfortable.

James_Calvert

Visit site
One thing I've noticed in our club is that one or two 80 plus sailors book shore accommodation for our rallies.

We did that a couple of years ago when a club Fowey rally followed on from our 40th anniversary treat.

Rather nice looking over into the harbour at our boat from the hotel balconies!

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Go for it. I have a few years up on you - and bought my current 33' when I was 70. 331 will be fine, although if you want to sail singlehanded or with a passive crew, pay attention to ease of handling sails, berthng anchoring. my short list was Bene 311, Jeanneau 32, Hanse 325 and Bavaria 33 (all new in 2015 - but not hugely different from last generation models). Key features for me were small jib (Bavaria and Hanse both good for this) in mast furling, available on all, winches close to helm and room to move around the wheel (Bavaria good on this others variable), anchor windlass, bow thruster which aids singlehanded berthing and good autopilot.

Overall though boats in this size range are very easy to live with, but problem now will be finding one as there is a real shortage of good late boats on the market.

Mataji

Visit site
When I was 65 I sold my sailing boat and bought a 28 ft motor sailor - for my old age. It seemed a good compromise, the comfort and warmth of a wheelhouse for bad weather and the ability to sail from the cockpit in good weather. I was very happy with the boat but found myself motoring from the wheelhouse most of the time. I began to miss the thrill of proper sailing and after 5 years sold her and bought a 24ft sailing boat. I still definitely wanted as much comfort as possible but also wanted an easily managed boat that I could sail single handed. My boat now (Cornish Cutter 24) has standing headroom, a separate heads, good galley, 3 berths and requires very little effort to sail. The only thing I miss is an independent heater. I’ve had her now for 3 years and do not regret the change.
You don’t have to go as small as 24ft, especially if you usually have crew, and the Beneteau 331 is as good a choice as any. However, there are lots of good sailing boats about that size and I would advise you look at as many as you can but definitely go for it. The joy of turning off the engine and letting the sails take over is one of life’s great pleasures.

Last edited:

Roby

Visit site
Thanks guys that’s very reassuring, I previously had a Jeanneau 32 with in mast furling so I think I will be looking for that on my next boat as I found it quite easy to sail and besides I hate disturbing SWMBO.

V1701

Visit site
It looks like the mobo isn't giving you the sort of satisfaction that you already know you can get from sailing, so if you're fit enough then it doesn't really make sense not to do it. Enjoy...:)

johnalison

Visit site
When I was 70 I was pretty unfit except for going for occasional walks, and had already been in hospital for the first of two lumbar disc lesions. That year we sailed in a 10m boat back to the southern Baltic and messed around in mostly Germany and Poland for three months before sailing home. We continued to sail abroad for another seven years until my wife's health made it too difficult, and my fitness never improved in the meantime. Reading of others' experiences my history seems rather modest, but should serve as a fairly typical set of expectations.

RupertW

Visit site
One thing I've noticed in our club is that one or two 80 plus sailors book shore accommodation for our rallies.

We did that a couple of years ago when a club Fowey rally followed on from our 40th anniversary treat.

Rather nice looking over into the harbour at our boat from the hotel balconies!
I went that route when I was just 40. Sold our 31 footer and bought a sporty old 24 footer with so that I could do the occasional night on board but as a couple we would always stay ashore. We had a lovely few years doing that and staying in nice places up and down the South Coast and a bit of the East. Great fun days, civilised evenings, and as an unexpected benefit for less maintenance to do if the boat is basically just a dry space for suitcases whilst sailing.

Daydream believer

Visit site
As I get older, I was beginning to think that I may have to buy a motorboat. However, it may be that my current yacht may need a new engine. So I have decided that if it does, I will swop the 19HP for 30HP so I can fit a larger prop for more punch in a sea. The newer engines are not much heavier. That way I can motor more when the going is difficult, but still sail on the lighter days.
Then forumites can say " why is that yacht motoring when it should be sailing?"-- Cos I am old & knackered - That is why :cry:

dom

Visit site
As I get older, I was beginning to think that I may have to buy a motorboat. However, it may be that my current yacht may need a new engine. So I have decided that if it does, I will swop the 19HP for 30HP so I can fit a larger prop for more punch in a sea. The newer engines are not much heavier. That way I can motor more when the going is difficult, but still sail on the lighter days.
Then forumites can say " why is that yacht motoring when it should be sailing?"-- Cos I am old & knackered - That is why :cry:

Isn't your boat quite new?

Stemar

Visit site
The 28hp VP2003 I put into Jissel weighed less than the deceased MD1 and the dedicated starter battery I fitted at the same time. Made quite a difference to the performance under power :)

The big prop it needed didn't help the sailing performance, though.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Isn't your boat quite new?
17 years, but 5000 hours on the engine & volspec say that they regularly see engines being changed with only 1500 hours on them. However, at the end of the season there was an almighty "bang" internally, followed by considerable rattling. Cannot find the fault but hope for the best & plan for the worse as Jack Reacher would say

Other threads that may be of interest