Mahogany?

burgundyben

Visit site
I need to fix a broken keelson in a British 1963 built motorboat.

I'm gathering my thoughts how best to do it and how I plan some prevention measures.

I do know that I need some durable strong timber. Its straight bits, no need for bending.

I'm sure the broken bit coming out is some kind of mahogany. But what does that really mean?

Will sapele do?

Other timbers I should consider?

I'm no Leo, so a timber that is easy to work!

Hacker

Visit site
We often/nearly always use iroko for keels, hogs and keelsons. Not nice to work as the grain goes all over the place. As @Wansworth says laminating a section is often a good way. Will need good locking scarf joints.

Daydream believer

Visit site
We often/nearly always use iroko for keels, hogs and keelsons. Not nice to work as the grain goes all over the place. As @Wansworth says laminating a section is often a good way. Will need good locking scarf joints.
Use air dried Iroko.The grain is normally less distorted than kiln dried. One does not need the moisture content to be so low so there is less tension in the grain.

Redwing228

www.nationalredwing.co.uk
May I add my vote for Iroko too...
The whole of our Finesse's hull, including the whole of the centreline structure including a laminated stem and apron are all Iroko.
I've used it for repairs on other projects and the grain ragging can be mitigated by careful selection as the previous poster mentioned above.
Bill

Siftasam

Visit site
Seasoned Iroko. Claude Whisstock used this for keel sections, stems etc. etc. Very strong and durable. Use sharp tools ! And keep them sharpened throughout
I do not recommend mahoghany- if you have a struggle to fit i.e. bolting etc it is prone to split. Iroko is immensly tough - in the sense of strong.