Mahogany/Teak suppliers in N Essex or S Suffolk

Simonpk

Visit site
Next on my list is to make myself a new tiller, so I thought I'd enquire here first as to who supplies either Mahogany or Teak in North Essex or South Suffolk?

Many thanks

Si

Simonpk

Visit site
Brilliant I'll give Thorogoods a visit as I go past Ardleigh virtually every day.

The old tiller is Mahogany so I thought I'd keep it the same, but I did laminate up a lovely Ash tiller for my previous boat. :confused: I'll see what they've got & decide from there.

Many thanks

Si

tillergirl

Visit site
My tiller is made of iroko, spliced to repair after 40 years (ten years ago) with ash.

Thorougoods need 5 days for machining at the present.

Simonpk

Visit site
Thanks, I'll check out Iroko as well and I'll just get a 4" x 4ft length & quite happy to spend a nice spring evening planing & shaving to shape.

Cheers
Si

tillergirl

Visit site
If you are interested in oak, you might try Tutton Timber http://tuttontimber.co.uk/ in Halstead (and probably the most difficult place to find). I bought green oak for steaming some frames and I recall cost me about £2 for 6ft x 1" x 1 1/4"! A few years back. I made the point that I needed clear green oak and that's what I got. Worked fine for steaming. Just bought some oak by Gard of Hannifield for new cockpit floor beams. Good service, machining in one day. Oak was 1.87 a metre (1" x 1") so picked up £150's worth including the VAT. Gard are quoting Ash as £1.53 a metre - 4" x 4" a metre at £37.95 PAR plus VAT (Oak for the same would be £91.35 a metre . (Gards are http://www.gards.co.uk/). Thorougoods recently supplied some iroko for the cockpit 'floor' planks but I can't work out a representative price. Significantly more expensive than the oak.