Mad idea?

Dieselboatman

Visit site
If I got a set of boat plans for a 18~22ft boat

Would it be viable to build it from sheet steel over a metal or wooden framework? Basically build a displacement or semi-displacment boat with an inboard engine setup with a forward wheel house?

I have done an awful lot of welding and fabrication over the years, and would be easier I think that making a fibreglass boat, albeit at cost of being g heavier?

Dieselboatman

Visit site
Or if not, how good are the boats built from plywood like the selway plans?

Are they then coated with a layer of fibreglass?

I know it's a radical idea perhaps compared to an old hull, but it would be brand new, and could build exactly what I want from scratch

Kawasaki

Visit site
Well, steel and 'cement' has been done before
Steel is still done and wood
I think really the only way forward combining said two materials
Is basically to build a 'timber' vessel, clad with steel
There are two or three 'Renovation/ Re Build threads going on here at the Mo
So I suggest you go for that
Us Isolated Types could need more to peruse during the next few months!
:giggle:

Bouba

Visit site

Would it be viable to build it from sheet steel over a metal or wooden framework? Basically build a displacement or semi-displacment boat with an inboard engine setup with a forward wheel house?

I have done an awful lot of welding and fabrication over the years, and would be easier I think that making a fibreglass boat, albeit at cost of being g heavier?
Are you sure the plans are for a seaworthy boat? Have you any reports of other boats built to those plans? Why not share some of the details on here to see if you can get any valuable feedback

Dieselboatman

Visit site
Your first name aint Noah is it?

Haha no! But I like building things!

Well, steel and 'cement' has been done before
Steel is still done and wood
I think really the only way forward combining said two materials
Is basically to build a 'timber' vessel, clad with steel
There are two or three 'Renovation/ Re Build threads going on here at the Mo
So I suggest you go for that
Us Isolated Types could need more to peruse during the next few months!
:giggle:

Will have a look, and yeah just think it would be a fantastic project and the satisfaction when done would be best of all

Are you sure the plans are for a seaworthy boat? Have you any reports of other boats built to those plans? Why not share some of the details on here to see if you can get any valuable feedback

I've seen a few made, obviously most in the states

Selway-Fisher.com

Motor Boats 16' to 20'

Dieselboatman

Visit site
what thickness steel are you thinking what would you use for ballast

Not sure! That's the bits I'm unsure of!

we had a guy on here a few years back who was building a steel boat from scratch, lots of panels were cut out, but then it all went quiet. Iirc he was somewhere in Wales, maybe someone knows what happened to him and his project.

Would be interesting to read!

benjenbav

Visit site
we had a guy on here a few years back who was building a steel boat from scratch, lots of panels were cut out, but then it all went quiet. Iirc he was somewhere in Wales, maybe someone knows what happened to him and his project.
I remember that! Can't remember any of the details tho'

MrB

Visit site
I remember that! Can't remember any of the details tho'
IIRC he was a deep sea diver working on the rigs and he did build the hull.......there is a thread on here somewhere. It was a hell of a lot bigger than what the OP wants to do though! I'm sure he still posts but I cannot remember his name.

Plum

Visit site

Steel boats tend not to be practical below about 8m long because of the weight versus stiffness of steel. If you really want to use your welding and metal fabrication skills then far better to use a saltwater resistant grade of aluminium alloy for a boat of that size. With the correct grade of aluminium alloy you will have the added benefit of not needing to paint it, other than for cosmetic and antifouling reasons.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Dieselboatman

Visit site
Ok fair enough so will stick to either ply or fibreglass

Alu would be nice but I only have welding equipment for steel (stick, mig and DC tig)

Rappey

Visit site
I would personally buy a grp hull even if you buy a complete boat and cut away everything to end up with a bare hull.
That way you get a great hull that you know will perform with known capabilities.
Fitting it out is a task in itself and that can all be the newness you would like ?

cherod

Visit site
28 ft Tiki wharram ,,, most boat per buck ,, and easy to build , flat pannel but with scope for a bit of " personalisation " :)

cherod

Visit site
Ok fair enough so will stick to either ply or fibreglass

Alu would be nice but I only have welding equipment for steel (stick, mig and DC tig)
AC machine is a wee bit expensive and argon not easy to get unless you have a company and account and that is high initial outlay

Assassin

Visit site
Built several from sheet and what you propose is incorrect, begin with the structure and skin it afterwards as you can get the structure correct and massage it into shape if it is slightly out.

MIG better than TIG as it actually gives less heat and heat distortion, and heat distortion is the biggest problem; tack with MIG and sequence welding is the only way forwards.