Lysander Motorboat ( Solent ) - Tender being used inconsiderately

Fender!

Visit site
We anchor around the Solent most sunny weekends and one of our favourite spots is Totland bay, however again yesterday, Lysander was anchored in the western end of the bay ( near the safe swim zone ) and the boats Williams jet tender was on the plane blasting around in between all the other anchored boats, please could the owner show a little more consideration and respect to other water users, swimmers, paddle boarders, kids, etc. Pretty much very time we stop and anchor a small minority of craft / tenders / skis / flyboards risk other water users safety - we've all seen it and I'm sure its the same at every anchorage, however I've watched the tender from Lysander on multiple occasions over different weekends doing the same thing, so I thought a polite request for the owner to put a little thought to his actions whilst in a anchorage and to be honest yesterday while chatting to a few other boat owners I'm not the only person with concerns about the above, thankyou

sarabande

Visit site
Charter boat. It's unlikely the skipper will stop his paying passengers from behaving dangerously.

See what response you get from writing to the company. Any video ?

Solent events, Unit 6a Dell Buildings, Milford Road, Lymington, Hampshire SO41 0ED

Fender!

Visit site
I think the majority of the time its the same chap showing off in the the tender, short, tanned, bald.....................

Neeves

Visit site
The people engaged in boorish behaviour are the same people who do not appreciate that their conduct is boorish.

Thus they are unlikely to read these august posts but may react to a formal approach, as suggested by Sarabande. Here is Oz we have rule resticting speeds near moored vessels to less than 5 knots - if you have similar restrictions in the UK then your making representation to the local authorities, with a video, might be the answer. Video should be easy as you say it happens frequently but make sure you focus on the bald headed tanned gentleman - so that authorities have an individual to talk to.

Jonathan

jac

Visit site
The people engaged in boorish behaviour are the same people who do not appreciate that their conduct is boorish.

Thus they are unlikely to read these august posts but may react to a formal approach, as suggested by Sarabande. Here is Oz we have rule resticting speeds near moored vessels to less than 5 knots - if you have similar restrictions in the UK then your making representation to the local authorities, with a video, might be the answer. Video should be easy as you say it happens frequently but make sure you focus on the bald headed tanned gentleman - so that authorities have an individual to talk to.

Jonathan

We also have regulations like that in most harbours. Unfortunately, these are of minimal use where the authorities have minimal ability to do much and virtually no use when not in a harbour, rather like OP's scenario. All that we could rely on would be non adherence to IRPCS and hoping that a local police force may be prepared to have a word.

In this case Hants Marine Police have Operation Wavebreaker which is intended to tackle marine anti social behaviour such as speeding around moorings. Affected people can ring 101 or I think report online. Give them the footage and let them sort it out, especially if you can get clear footage identifying owner / driver and boat name / number.

ashtead

Visit site
You might look Stuart hedges and Richard ward up on linked in and send them a report first before reporting to the Hampshire marine plod. As directors they will no doubt wish to ensure the behaviour of their staff is not invalidating the terms of their company insurances .

Fender!

Visit site
If the behaviour could be regarded as dangerous rather than antisocial, a CHIRP report might be appropriate. For example if there are swimmers in the water.
Plenty of swimmers in Totland bay, but as I touched on earlier he’s not the only inconsiderate water user, just maybe the most prolific offender I‘ve witnessed. Couple of young lads yesterday with a small tender/outboard combination towing a third lad in a doughnut were just meters from the shore line running parallel to the beach, numerous other swimmers, kids, paddle boarders around them , we called our kids away, scares the crap out of me

Last edited:

jac

Visit site
Plenty of swimmers in Totland bay, but as I touched on earlier he’s not the only inconsiderate water user, just maybe the most prolific offender I‘ve witnessed. Couple of young lads yesterday with a small tender/outboard combination towing a third lad in a doughnut were just meters from the shore line running parallel to the beach, numerous other swimmers, kids, paddle boarders around them , we called our kids away, scares the crap out of me
101 next time if in Hampshire waters

Stemar

Visit site
Make that report. You could save someone's life.

Reactions: jac

jac

Visit site
101? You mean the police? DOn't make us laugh.
It's what the Hampshire Force Marine section have asked people to do for anti social behaviour in boats - for example speeding through moorings Look up Operation Wavebreaker . One report will probably do nothing but several might encourage them to patrol the dodgy areas and if backed by video footage then they might be able to prosecute. Certainly likely to be more effective than posting on a forum for sailing boats about a motorboat !

Rlindsay

Visit site
Hi Fender,

I own Lysander and have just been Made aware of your post .

Im hugely apologetic that we have caused you not to enjoy your day in Totland, it’s one of our favourite places too and when someone anchors nearby who isn’t considerate it’s hugely frustrating, oddly enough we had a Rib anchor next to us on Sunday with hugely loud music which drove us mad so I do appreciate your pain. I would like to stress though that I genuinely do t think we were causing risk to anyone, we were nowhere nearthe swimming zone and not once were we near anyone else in the water. The kids in the ringo were all wearing safety gear and I too obviously wearing a kill cord. I also have a tracker in the tender and have checked the speeds I was operating at going through the boats to get out to open water, none of the speeds were unsafe. One of the problems towing is that going to slowly causes the donut to submerge so it’s a bit of a balance. All of this said I’m hugely apologetic it caused you concern and had an impact on your day. We actually found a perfect spot towards the pier which we will ensure we use from now on and I’ll be certain to cause no wash etc. Please do PM me if you would like to discuss further. Again, apologies and we won’t disturb you again.

Wansworth

Visit site
In Spain bathing areas are cordoned off by buoys and oats of any kind the enter into those areas are in trouble with the guardia civil

sarabande

Visit site
A soft answer turneth away wrath.

But there's a big difference in perception between the OP and Lysander as to what happened last weekend in terms of the location and degree of impact of the activities. Perhaps too much of a variation to be comfortable that both can be accurate.

If Lysander has the tracker data and breadcrumb trails, and cares to post them, then the matter of "none of the speeds were unsafe " versus "on the plane blasting around in between all the other anchored boats " can be laid to rest. Equally, the OP or any other boats at Totland may well have video of the alleged actions.

Last edited:

Sandy

Visit site
A big thank you to @Rlindsay for coming onto the forum and posting.

Unfortunately, the perception of what speed is safe or unsafe is a very subjective one.

For some of the work I do I was required to complete the RYA Powerboat II course. On day two of the course the instructor instructed us to go at full throttle. Thirty knots on a flat sea was in my opinion 'bloody terrifying', while the instructor was 'chilled' and enjoying the ride. The lesson I learnt on the course was people in fast boats have no idea what carnage they are causing as they are to busy concentrating on not hitting anything in front of them.

In the past I have needed to bellow at people at speedboats' as they charge down the river at twenty-five knots as crew were working up the mast. Thankfully, they did slow down and no injuries were caused. Jet Skis are another subject that I could go on about.

Fender!

Visit site
A soft answer turneth away wrath.

But there's a big difference in perception between the OP and Lysander as to what happened last weekend in terms of the location and degree of impact of the activities. Perhaps too much of a variation to be comfortable that both can be accurate.
As I said in my OP, I wasn't the only boat in totland bay that had ongoing concerns about speeding in the anchorage and in particular Lysander, when I get a sec I'll reply to the owner of Lysander