Low tide launch sites for dinghy on Medway around Gillingham?

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I agree that is what is there structurally but I fear the settlement of mud from the river has made the settled mud higher than the concrete slipway. Regular cleaning would help but the slipway would always get covered again in a short while. Also I expect the depth at the end of the slipway is reduced as well.

About 8 years ago at low water springs I feel sure there was still a drop at the end of the slipway, but this may have disappeared. The web cam should show if this is true. On Wednesday 31st March the predicted low water at 0934 is one of the lowest for the year. A good time to check. Webcam | Medway Cruising Club

Yep guess that you state what is there at present , I do also recall a nasty Drop Off marking the end of the hard slipway.

I recall as well that when the KSC (Ski Club ?) were congregating at the slipway it got rather crowded, whilst the outboard Boats were preparing them to cast off and fire up, so one had to choose ones time to launch from there . Recall that trailers could be left up river on the shingle or rocks ? maybe

Murv

Visit site
Looks a better option than Hoo Fort for low tide unless that black stuff is too likely to damage an inflatable? Is it just weed on rocks? I'm thinking the whole area is a bit hazardous for inflatables.

Is carrying the dinghy to the moat any use for getting into the fort? Or is the entrance too high up?

View attachment 111779

Darnet Fort is the best one to visit, the land at Hoo is very heavily contaminated and is still monitored regularly. Apparently the fort is also too flooded to really make it worth it.
Darnet is also quite easy, launch at the strand slipway nearer high water (it's OK but very muddy nearer low water) and approach the fort from the South to the right of the barges.
You won't be able to get your dinghy to the moat, it's too much of a drop even if you could.
It's a straightforward and interesting trip, just check and double check your tides, I make sure I'm away just before high water to avoid having to push the boat back to deeper water!
Also worth taking a reasonable length painter so you can the boat off to something in case you get a large wash that could sweep it away.
I motor in very slowly on the final approach, and then row the last bit with the outboard up, just in case I've missed anything - probably a bit overkill but I've not hand any problems.
Allington would be a very long, bumb-numbing trip in an inflatable. It's something I want to try soon, just creeping up with the tide but I wouldn't want to try it from anywhere further downstream than Rochester without decent seats!

Adios

Visit site
Darnet Fort is the best one to visit, the land at Hoo is very heavily contaminated and is still monitored regularly. Apparently the fort is also too flooded to really make it worth it.
Darnet is also quite easy, launch at the strand slipway nearer high water (it's OK but very muddy nearer low water) and approach the fort from the South to the right of the barges.
You won't be able to get your dinghy to the moat, it's too much of a drop even if you could.
It's a straightforward and interesting trip, just check and double check your tides, I make sure I'm away just before high water to avoid having to push the boat back to deeper water!
Also worth taking a reasonable length painter so you can the boat off to something in case you get a large wash that could sweep it away.
I motor in very slowly on the final approach, and then row the last bit with the outboard up, just in case I've missed anything - probably a bit overkill but I've not hand any problems.
Allington would be a very long, bumb-numbing trip in an inflatable. It's something I want to try soon, just creeping up with the tide but I wouldn't want to try it from anywhere further downstream than Rochester without decent seats!

Great info thanks!

I'm thinking to make some kind of bolt on seat back for my dinghy. There are 2 sliding bench seats which can go together to form quite a wide base. Would make a lot of difference to be able to put my feet up and lean back

Allington is only 13NM from Gillingham. With a decent spring tide its only a few hours each way though there is less benefit the closer you get to the lock I know. There is a surprising monastery near the top. I did it 20 years ago and all the way up to Tonbridge.

Cantata

Visit site
..............................With a decent spring tide its only a few hours each way though there is less benefit the closer you get to the lock I know. There is a surprising monastery near the top. I did it 20 years ago and all the way up to Tonbridge.
Aylesford Priory? Not very surprising, see East Coast Pilot 5, page 151?

Adios

Visit site
Aylesford Priory? Not very surprising, see East Coast Pilot 5, page 151?
I hope they have "SPOILER ALERT" across the top of that page! It was a plesant surprise to me when I came across it. Down stream I remember a big paper mill and lots of reeds, a couple of oxbow backwaters to explore. Not very eventful but nice enough for a potter.

Concerto

Visit site
As you can see there is access for a car to the top of the slipway. You can park alongside the railings of the Sailing Club (where the camera is mounted) with space for about 8 vehicles and trailers.

Cantata

Visit site
I hope they have "SPOILER ALERT" across the top of that page! It was a plesant surprise to me when I came across it. Down stream I remember a big paper mill and lots of reeds, a couple of oxbow backwaters to explore. Not very eventful but nice enough for a potter.
Indeed, I've always enjoyed my trips up there. The non-industrial bits are really very nice. That Priory is worth a visit, an interesting place. Nowhere to tie up anywhere around there unfortunately, has to be a visit by road.

Medway Matt

Visit site
The slipway was dredged a couple of years ago and the last time I used it in November it was still pretty clean to +/- 4hrs of high water, any more than that and you'll be getting muddy feet.

At LW springs the water will be beyond the end of the slip, and as others have said there's a drop off and then potentially dangerously deep mud, LW neaps should be fine but muddy. Worth probing with an oar though of course.

Last edited:

Triassic

Visit site
Charges: None
Access restrictions and other permissions: This is the only public slipway onto the River Medway. There is an 8 knot speed limit in the area and a ban on Jet skiing and similar activities. There is an annual conservancy charge payable to Medway ports of £50.80 for all pleasure craft under 5.1m

I stand to be corrected on this one but my understanding of the Medway conservancy charge is that it applies to vessels that are moored or kept on the Medway, and not necessarily to those being used on it.... In other words if you trailer your vessel there, launch and then recover afterwards you don't need to pay it. It's been a while since I was told that though so I suppose I ought to check it is still the case......

Medway Matt

Visit site
I stand to be corrected on this one but my understanding of the Medway conservancy charge is that it applies to vessels that are moored or kept on the Medway, and not necessarily to those being used on it.... In other words if you trailer your vessel there, launch and then recover afterwards you don't need to pay it. It's been a while since I was told that though so I suppose I ought to check it is still the case......

I think you're right and there's a minimum size limit too, I think it's 5.5 metres and anything smaller isn't liable.

Triassic

Visit site
The Peel Ports Leisure and Other Small Craft –Conservancy Charges apply from 5.1m. See page 9 of this document. The current charge is £72.44 including VAT.

https://www.peelports.com/media/6092/port-of-sheerness-port-charges-2021.pdf

From that document....

"1. Leisure and Other Small Craft – Conservancy Charges/Moorings.
Annual charge in the form of a registration fee is payable by leisure and other small craft, with the exception of dinghies under 5.1 metres in length. "

In my view it's a little confusing with the use of the slash before the word "moorings" but when I checked with Peel Ports a few years ago they were adamant it wasn't applicable if you didn't keep your vessel on the Medway and politely refused my money.....

oldgit

Visit site
Does not apply to craft keep above the Lock either.
We do have several club members who have permanent moorings both above the lock and on the tidal waters.

Adios

Visit site
Does not apply to craft keep above the Lock either.
We do have several club members who have permanent moorings both above the lock and on the tidal waters.
They'll have to pay a license for the non-tidal river as well then won't they? I vaguely remember needing one many years ago

Other threads that may be of interest