Low tide launch sites for dinghy on Medway around Gillingham?

Adios

Visit site
Once we can do outdoor stuff again I'm going to visit a friend who lives 100 meters from the marina and yacht clubs in Gillingham. I've been on at him to buy a little boat seeing as he's so close. He's been out on my last yacht but to get him interested in something he can afford I thought I'll take my inflatable dinghy down there and we can have a motor up river maybe to Allington and back on the tide but can't see anywhere to walk a boat down at anything like low tide. At least 3 hours before and after would do it, preferable 4. Is there anywhere?

Preferably starting around Gillingham where he lives. Is there a public access slip next to the lido looking thing? If not is there access to the waiting pontoon outside Chatham marina? It doesn't look I'm spoilt for choice so anywhere on the Medway would do if need be.

The dinghy has wheels and isn't heavy, could potentially lower it down a ladder even.

Adios

Visit site
Flipping heck I've just realised how de-industrialised the land by the sharp corner in Rochester is now. I've not been there since that was a busy wharf area.

Is Rochester pier free to access? That would do if it is.

Edit: Bugger Rochester Pier | Medway Council

Adios

Visit site
From the Hovercraft Club, it's a free public slip apparently. The wall to the left is the side of the Marina.
View attachment 111752
Got it thanks. Bit contradictory info though https://www.hovercraft.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Launch-Site-River-Medway.pdf

Charges: None
Access restrictions and other permissions: This is the only public slipway onto the River Medway. There is an 8 knot speed limit in the area and a ban on Jet skiing and similar activities. There is an annual conservancy charge payable to Medway ports of £50.80 for all pleasure craft under 5.1m

I doubt there will be anyone there full time with a peaked cap

This slip is shown on OS maps so I'd looked for it already but seeing it on Bing maps at low water i thought it had been consumed by the mud but actually it does still look usefully there. I'll take wellies.

2021-03-20_204147.jpg

Adios

Visit site
For the pier you need a token that can only be purchased from the wet side. I have one somewhere.
This? A bit Hotel California isn't it? No way to ask the council for one?

At least if we get caught short of time on the way back could exit the river there. What payment type does it take?

2021-03-20_203313.jpg

seivadnehpets

www.schnark.home.blog

At least if we get caught short of time on the way back could exit the river there. What payment type does it take?

View attachment 111754
I think you puts an old fashioned pound coin in, and takes a very similar looking token out.

Pye_End

Visit site
Got it thanks. Bit contradictory info though https://www.hovercraft.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Launch-Site-River-Medway.pdf

Charges: None
Access restrictions and other permissions: This is the only public slipway onto the River Medway. There is an 8 knot speed limit in the area and a ban on Jet skiing and similar activities.

Really? Not noticed that.

The Strand is probably a good option as they are well set up for it, and there is parking there (can get fairly busy though).

There are some steps down in the wall round by 'The Command House' in Chatham if you think you can manhandle it down there ok. Don't think it is fully accessible at low water, but perhaps not too long a wait.

Adios

Visit site
Really? Not noticed that.

The Strand is probably a good option as they are well set up for it, and there is parking there (can get fairly busy though).
Just measured it and that slip is 360m from his flat. A winner. Will need a good hosing down if coming out at low tide though by the look of it.

There are some steps down in the wall round by 'The Command House' in Chatham if you think you can manhandle it down there ok. Don't think it is fully accessible at low water, but perhaps not too long a wait.
Looks cut off for a fair bit of low tide on bing maps aerial view but a useful option for other tides thanks

Concerto

Visit site
The slip way at Gillingham, alongside the west side of the Lido has access of about 4½ hours either side of high water. I used it in the past with a Mirror dinghy and it would suit what you are trying to do. It is concrete and usually has a thin layer of mud on it. It is used by plenty of jet skis, so can get busy. Suggest if possible to use mid week and lauch shortly after low water to take the tide up river. At high water, just turn round and you should be able to still get back on the slipway.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Accross the river at Upnor there was a large open slipway with direct access to the river, situated in the Village , not the Yacht Club, which has its own slipway or used to . Parking nearby, but gets crowded as popular when sun gets outThere maybe a small charge these days, but then maybe not

Best chance is Gillingham Strand Slipway, its quite large, so many boats can launch at one time there; Parking available summer there used to be a Cafe for refreshments nearby; best about Gillingham Strand is its easy to get afloat plus get back out again afterwards.

Good luck with your adventures on that Medway

Adios

Visit site
I wondered about visiting Hoo Island as it's just across from the Strand and youtube provided these guys, Outdoor Tom and Survival Essex take a toy boat and have to call up Wilderness Nomad for rescue :LOL: like characters on the Fast Show. Fair play to them for not phoning the RNLI for rescue anyway.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
There is sunk submarine wreck to visit, you can clamber on board from LW springs. Also Deadman's Island, which is littered with human bones, very exciting for kids. A floating Russian submarine at Strood, Upnor Castle, It's one of the best areas to explore by dinghy.

Pye_End

Visit site
I wondered about visiting Hoo Island as it's just across from the Strand and youtube provided these guys, Outdoor Tom and Survival Essex take a toy boat and have to call up Wilderness Nomad for rescue :LOL: like characters on the Fast Show. Fair play to them for not phoning the RNLI for rescue anyway.

An interesting place, with good views. Behind the barges there is the place to land, though can be a bit muddy unless you are well up the tide. Couple of inches mud rather than foot of mud.

Adios

Visit site
An interesting place, with good views. Behind the barges there is the place to land, though can be a bit muddy unless you are well up the tide. Couple of inches mud rather than foot of mud.
This way? Ground looks a bit more sandy mud between the beacon and the fort. The slip on the left looks useful as well but deeper mud off the sides and end of it. Will time it well if we go.

2021-03-21_104636.jpg

Dan Tribe

Visit site

View attachment 111754
I had a similiar experience at Gillingham Marina some years ago. I was working nearby and thought I would check out the marina. There was a security gate and the guard stopped me.
Did I have an appointment?
No I'm just exploring before I come by yacht.
Not a berth holder, you can't come in without an appointment.
How do I get an appointment?
From the office over there.
OK, I'll go and get one.
Not without an appointment.
I wonder if they got much new business?

Pye_End

Visit site
I had a similiar experience at Gillingham Marina some years ago. I was working nearby and thought I would check out the marina. There was a security gate and the guard stopped me.
Did I have an appointment?
No I'm just exploring before I come by yacht.
Not a berth holder, you can't come in without an appointment.
How do I get an appointment?
From the office over there.
OK, I'll go and get one.
Not without an appointment.
I wonder if they got much new business?

They are perfectly welcoming. As you can imagine in that area, security is rather useful, so it is comforting to hear people not being able to get in and wander around.

Adios

Visit site
Scrub that, I was thinking Darnet Fort.
I will have to get the kayaks out again now and do Hoo.....
Looks a better option than Hoo Fort for low tide unless that black stuff is too likely to damage an inflatable? Is it just weed on rocks? I'm thinking the whole area is a bit hazardous for inflatables.

Is carrying the dinghy to the moat any use for getting into the fort? Or is the entrance too high up?

2021-03-21_112202.jpg