Low budget, usually singlehanded!

Superflid

Visit site
Now I know this bit of the forum has been around for a while, but I've only just read the description on the main YBW page (OK, I'm a bit slow sometimes...).

As this is the Jester Challenge forum, what's the "usually singlehanded" about?

While I'm on one, there's no budget limit either!

OK, carry on! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

helixkimara

Visit site
I thing it means the "Forum" is of interest to "usually singlehanded" "on a limited budget" not specifically the race.

Don't worry your self. We don't want you in a state before the start. Regards. tomato

Superflid

Visit site
I'm a long way off being up to "The Challenge"! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I thought that the forum had been set up specifically for The Jester, though. All the forums are "of interest" to all sorts of sailors..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
Why not, Coromandels have been taken to the Azores before as you may know (Mike Spring in the mid 80's comes to mind). Personally I really really like 'em!

Superflid

Visit site
The boat might be up to it with a bit of modification, but my total sailing experience is about 18 months. Only sailed a junk for a couple of months, I am the weakest link! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe by 2010, you never know....great thing about Jester is the informality, even if I left entry until late, I could probably turn up on the day and join in.

Jake

N/A
www.jkcartoons.co.uk
Hi Tommyrot

The forum came about because with all the Jesters copying each other in on emails, the in-boxes became very full, very quickly!

I suggested to Roger Taylor that we could help broaden the Jester remit with the - literally - millions of hits we get on the YBW forums. There is a whole wealth of information out there, with some highly experienced sailors giving their advice free of charge.

Some of the Jesters felt that they wanted an 'inner sanctum' where they could chat amongst themselves about the forthcoming races, but others wanted a forum where anyone could drop in and learn, contribute - or occasionally have a go - about what we (plan) to do!

So, to make it attractive, I suggested that it's for anyone with the same mindset as the bulk of the Jesters. Often low budget, self sufficient - and usually ( but not always) single-handed. Lets face it, a short-handed boat is sailed single-handed most of the time if the helm doesn't want to disturb the off-duty partner, so the boat needs to be as easy to handle as possible.

But - essentially - it's about the race, and the best way to make it in one piece.

Good luck with fitting out your Coromandel. Nice boats, with bags more room than my junk-rigged Corri. Both models have done some awesome voyages, though.

Superflid

Visit site
Thanks Jake, it was a bit tongue in cheek...

I'm benefiting from the forum, probably more than most, and very grateful for it.

Early days to be planning trips to foreign lands just yet, wife had never sailed before this summer but is enjoying it. As you say, this does mean I'm single-handed!
Roger Taylor's northern trip has given me some ideas, already part of the way up the North sea I'm in the right place to head North.......

Other threads that may be of interest