Lovely Lowestoft

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
They certainly didn't worry about that when three weary mariners arrived after making the passage from Whitby! They made us very welcome, even down to being met on the pontoon by a lady who helped with our lines. And no one even raised an eyebrow about us having a very nice meal in their posh dining room in very casual clothing. Altogether a very good first landfall in my new cruising ground.
Exactly my experience, but as there was a Topper regatta that weekend I was asked if I would dine in the reception area. I dined with visiting Dutch mariners and had a most pleasant evening. And yes, I too was met at the pontoon to have my lines taken. First class, all round.
P.S. The regatta was a disaster - very strong winds produced mayhem, but I understand no-one was hurt/lost/disgruntled!!

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Is the Mincalo beam trawler still there? It was a very interesting museum piece. Also the maritime museum was good, at the time there were several old salts manning it who had plenty of stories about old Lowestoft
The Mincarlo is a side trawler not a beamer, and she is still in LT and maintained by volunteers. These boats are vanishingly rare and precious remnants of the days we had 1000's of sidewinders, built in England and Scotland, crewed by Brits under the Red Ensign. Take a tour of the ship, and give generously.
Equally the Ross Tiger in GY which I know well having worked on one of her sisters.

Poignard

Visit site
Thanks Poignard that's great news. Didn't Hull have a stern dragger preserved as well? I'm a bit out of touch.
I don't know about a stern-dragger but maybe the Tourist Office could tell you (assuming it's open to the public).

I had a guided tour of Arctic Corsair years ago and it was fascinating. I have enormous respect for deep-water fishermen.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I can thoroughly recommend a tour of the 'Lydia Eva' at Great Yarmouth, the last steam drifter (n.b. currently closed because of the pandemic). It is moored on the Town Quay, next to the Town Hall (and within a few yards of four or five museums, including the Time and Tide museum, which has a lot on the fishing industry, smokehouses, etc., and the Nelson Museum).

The Lydia Eva is manned by enthusiastic, knowledgeable volunteers who will give a really interesting tour. I was surprised at how long we spent aboard (and my companion for the visit has no particular interest in boats!), there was so much to see, touch and learn about. Entry is free, but I bet you'll make donation.

It does occasional jaunts out to sea for the day, but this is becoming harder and harder to do. For example, in its day, the ash and slag from the firebox would have been chucked over the side, but now it all has to be bagged up, stored, carried ashore and disposal paid for.

Poignard

Visit site
For those spending an amount of time in Lowestoft, I can also recommend the East Anglian Transport Museum, which is at Carlton Colville, on the south-western edge of the town (there'll be buses from the town centre, I'm sure).
Home - East Anglia Transport Museum
I had always been under the impression that the transport system in East Anglia was itself a museum piece!

Halo

Visit site
No one has mentioned the club in the old lifeboat station. True grit. Last time I was there it was £1.00 to join and drinks were very cheap. If anyone rings the ships bell they buy a round for everyone there. Three people did so last time I went (including me) Great laugh Very basic facilities though.

Daydream believer

Visit site
:unsure: The RNSYC has the best "gents" ....
View attachment 122373
I like Lowestoft. It is a great stop having leapfrogged a certain broken down refuge for the desparate, just south. However, I cannot agree about the toilets. Last time I was there the stink of urine was overpowering & I could not wait to shake & run. The time before was better- but not much.
What I did enjoy was being allowed to drink & if busy with a party, dine, in the snug. There is a brilliant letter about one member who won gold at an olympics. However, he could not wait for the presentation of the medal as his employer had threatened him with the sack if he did not return to work in time. Can one imagine such a situation at current times. The press would have a field day. There is also a section from Crossbow the Proa that broke the 30kt barrier campaigned or sponsored by the Colman family
I think I have this correct- locals may confirm the exact details as the memory data bank is a bit full these days:unsure:

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
And how about Excelsior . The 75ft Lowestoft sailing trawler built in 1885 and still sailing. Still based in Lowestoft I believe but I haven't seen her about on the East Coast for a while perhaps due to lockdowns etc.

Poignard

Visit site
And how about Excelsior . The 75ft Lowestoft sailing trawler built in 1885 and still sailing. Still based in Lowestoft I believe but I haven't seen her about on the East Coast for a while perhaps due to lockdowns etc.
I hope she is still active. I once had an extended weekend in her. We crossed the Channel to Boulogne and had a great time.

Sandy

Visit site
The RNSYC has the best "gents" ....
View attachment 122373
It is rather special.

I had two visits this year, one going north and again going south (Lowestoft to Scarborough was an interesting 30 hours). A very warm welcome from an excellent team. Getting into Lowestoft at 0045 with a spring tide running across the harbour entrance was 'interesting'.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
It is rather special.

... Getting into Lowestoft at 0045 with a spring tide running across the harbour entrance was 'interesting'.
I know you're a million times more experienced than me, Sandy but all other things being equal, I would have passage-planned to avoid that. Probly by slowing down or leaving later.. I have the same entering Ramsgate once and was very lucky not to wreck my Hurley 24/70, happy days
Sometimes using all the tide is not the right approach, I have learned through several brown trouser eexperiences.

Sandy

Visit site
I know you're a million times more experienced than me, Sandy but all other things being equal, I would have passage-planned to avoid that. Probly by slowing down or leaving later.. I have the same entering Ramsgate once and was very lucky not to wreck my Hurley 24/70, happy days
Sometimes using all the tide is not the right approach, I have learned through several brown trouser eexperiences.
We were trying to get north as quickly as possible and had a brilliant crossing of the Thames Estuary in a F5/F6 gusting F7 on a broad reach and two reefs in.

Really enjoyed both stays at RN&SYC the food and beer were good.

Leighb

Visit site
Well, what an eye opener! Lowestoft - Wells next the sea - Grimsby - Bridlington - Scarborough. A truly great section of our little cruise. Here's a bit about Lowestoft.

I like both a bit of spit 'n' sawdust, greasy spoon, industrial landscape "grit" and posh coffee, microbrewery, G&T in the club "swanky", so I've scored on both.

Lowestoft has both the friendly LCC up near the pretty Oulton Broad and the swanky (but still friendly) Royal. Walk along the broad, take a train to Beccles and beyond. In addition to local Lowestoft chandlers, Beccles also has ASAP for marine whatsits and thingamabobs. Walk the beaches, paddle & check out the fish and chips.

BF's top tips : Lunch & / drinkies at the RN&SYC, the Old Dairy or Cafe 142 in Oulton Broad for coffe/lunch, the longish walk to Beccles, lunch at the deli and train back, the beach and the most Easterly point of the UK.

Oh, and a special mention for Tapas nights at cafe 142 on the weekends - lovely spot & great service. And a second special mention for the Posh Pigs at the industrial estate where ASAP is situated - not at all posh, but just about the best traditional English "caff" I've been to.

Grittiness : 3
Swankyness : 3

The RNSYC has the best "gents" ....
View attachment 122373

Splendid copper and brass work, but have you read the Latin inscription on the plate on the lower part.
"Fata huius Patriae in Vestris Manibus est"
Translates as "The Fate of this country is in your hands" ;)