Lots of work needed…

Visit site
Out of interest, are you saying you've bought it without having a survey?

Yes, I’ve bought without a survey. Eyes wide open mind you. Ive bought the boat with quite a few known issues, quite frankly there’s not much more expensive items that could need replacing!

For instance the rudder is seized, likely a bearing, potentially a housing, at the extreme rudder stock has corroded. A survey would simply point out the the rudder was seized and further investigation is necessary.

Maybe I’ll look back and regret the decision, maybe I won’t but I’m definitely eyes wide open and have bought at a price that reflects the risk ?

pvb

Visit site
Yes, I’ve bought without a survey. Eyes wide open mind you. Ive bought the boat with quite a few known issues, quite frankly there’s not much more expensive items that could need replacing!

For instance the rudder is seized, likely a bearing, potentially a housing, at the extreme rudder stock has corroded. A survey would simply point out the the rudder was seized and further investigation is necessary.

Maybe I’ll look back and regret the decision, maybe I won’t but I’m definitely eyes wide open and have bought at a price that reflects the risk ?

I bought my last boat without a survey, but it was only 6 years old at the time. If you've had a good crawl around it and adjusted the price accordingly, you'll probably be OK.

pvb

Visit site
??????????????????????

Regular readers may remember Coopec, an elderly Australian who'd been fitting out a hull in his garden for around 20 years. His hull has a long encapsulated keel, which he constantly claimed was the only safe design, and that keels on regular production boats were unsafe and would fall off. He also had a strange habit of accusing people who disagreed with him of having a mental illness. Fortunately, he eventually decided to leave the YBW forums.

Stork_III

Visit site
Regular readers may remember Coopec, an elderly Australian who'd been fitting out a hull in his garden for around 20 years. His hull has a long encapsulated keel, which he constantly claimed was the only safe design, and that keels on regular production boats were unsafe and would fall off. He also had a strange habit of accusing people who disagreed with him of having a mental illness. Fortunately, he eventually decided to leave the YBW forums.

Hasn't posted since March 2021, but was looking in only last Friday.

Tranona

Visit site

As you probably know the rudder stock is aluminium and it is common for there to be some corrosion in way of the seized lower bearing. Upper bearings usually give no problems. Jefa have new rudders as well as the bearings. This covers it quite well youtube.com/watch?v=9upUBC2tu1c However ignore his advice to fit an anode. Does not do any good. The corrosion of the housing is the result of galvanic action between the aluminium and the copper in the antifoul - the boat was permanently in the water. Using Trilux around the lower area where the stock comes out is effective and what is recommended by Bavaria.

Visit site
A little update from me. Couple of weeks in Fambridge now and all going well. Lots of work to do so will probably be frequenting the PBO section daily ?

Just want to thank everyone for the advice on here ?

XDC

Visit site
Well I do not have weeping keel bolts for starters :rolleyes:
& I have had a few groundings. Inc hitting a rock at 6 kts with no ill effect ( Other than sending me flying)?

Hanse and keels?

Oh, and in the same channel he charted a Hanse and seemed to spend his time mopping out the bilge due to the amount of water coming through the hull windows ???

Last edited: