Lots of white powder around seacock?

JakeMM

Visit site
The sink was blocked and my other half tried putting some acidic toilet cleaner down a couple of days ago when I wasn’t on the boat, and the acid had sat in the pipes for the last 2 days.

I’ve cleared the sink and flushed some water through, but have just noticed a lot of thick white powder around the seacock. Any idea what this is?

Is it related to the acid, or to the earth lead?

QBhoy

Visit site
That doesn’t look clever. I’d say there is a galvanic issue there. Chances are that someone has fitted a valve that’s made of a less than suitable alloy perhaps. Where or what does that adjoining cable go to at the other end of it ?

lustyd

Visit site
The white powder is salt from a slow leak which is allowing the water to evaporate before dripping.
Buy a plunger and learn how to use it. The simple cures are the best.

pandos

Visit site
Looks like what happens to aluminium in certain conditions. I had aluminium spacers under engine mounts when I bought the boat. A few years later I vacuumed most of the metal away. Looked exactly like this. I'd be checking that there was not an aluminium/or some other metal washer or backing plate which is wastng away...

jwfrary

Visit site
Looks like a slow leak at the flange of the skin fitting. A Haul out in short order and renew would be prudent.

Stemar

Visit site
Firstly, I don't see that deposit being related to the acid treatment. The acid was on the inside of the pipe, not the outside. If it's copper/tin/zinc salts, hightail it to the nearest place you can get lifted, because it's eaten through the through hull! Probability? Miniscule.

As long as any water can find its way to a bilge pump, I think I'd wash it away and keep an eye on things, but not panic. If it's salt from a slow leak, which seems likely, it's a very slow leak. Yes, it'll probably get worse, but slowly; I wouldn't expect it to have got noticeable worse by your next scheduled lift out.

Reactions: vas

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
But seriously, take some of the powder, dissolve it in some water, then dip the tip of your little finger in it and touch it to the tip of your tongue. That will at least prove whether or not it is a salt. If you sprinkle a little of the powder over a gas flame and it flares orangey-red it's NaCl, common salt. Other salts produce different colours, ...I can't remember, the last time I had to think about this was before 1970!

VicS

Visit site
I'm not convinced that it is salt. I'd expect to see some blue/green verdigris if the fitting is bronze or brass.
Dissolve a little in some fresh water and taste it.
If it's not salt add a little to some dilute acid ,eg vinegar, so see if it fizzes.

I'd investigate that electrical connection. If its bonding between all the the skin fittings/seacocks and an anode I'd remove it all.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I'm not convinced that it is salt. I'd expect to see some blue/green verdigris if the fitting is bronze or brass.
If it's not salt add a little to some dilute acid ,eg vinegar, so see if it fizzes.

I'd investigate that electrical connection. If its bonding between all the the skin fittings/seacocks and an anode I'd remove it all.
Yes, it's no longer considered necessary or desirable to bond underwater metal parts. My boat was built in 2000 and does not have any anodes apart from those on the electrically isolated saildrive and prop.

vas

Visit site

apologies as it's slightly OT, but related to VicS point above

I have that sort of salty deposits (much much less!) on my p-brackets and rudder stock through bolts.
They are bonded to the two large anodes on the stern and the two engines blocks. Should I strip them all???
Thruhulls are all TruDesign grp ones, hull plywood.

cheers
V.

JakeMM

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I don't know whether this has suddenly appeared, or happened slowly, but I did find an old picture from when the boat was launched a year ago and there does appear to be some white deposits at that time - although nowhere near the current amount.

Does this shed anymore light on the situation? She's a 1982 GRP boat.

Would the jubilee clip be holding the fitting together? Or is the purpose of the clip just to hold the earth cable in place?

I'll get a sample and will try to burn it to see what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 57

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I don't know whether this has suddenly appeared, or happened slowly, but I did find an old picture from when the boat was launched a year ago and there does appear to be some white deposits at that time - although nowhere near the current amount.

Does this shed anymore light on the situation? She's a 1982 GRP boat.

Would the jubilee clip be holding the fitting together? Or is the purpose of the clip just to hold the earth cable in place?

I'll get a sample and will try to burn it to see what it is.
Is it clamping the earth wire in place?

Plum

Visit site
The sink was blocked and my other half tried putting some acidic toilet cleaner down a couple of days ago when I wasn’t on the boat, and the acid had sat in the pipes for the last 2 days.

I’ve cleared the sink and flushed some water through, but have just noticed a lot of thick white powder around the seacock. Any idea what this is?

Just supporting what many others have said: the deposit is almost certainly salt from a very very minor leak over a long time and nothing to do with the acid cleaning of the pipes. Get rid of the ss hose clip and the bonding wire it is holding as they are achieving nothing. Assuming the skin fitting and seacock are of suitable materials for the task, when next out of the water remove them and refit with fresh sealant. If unsure of the materials then fit new and seal well.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site