• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

IN ADDITION it seems that conspiracy theories are finding their way onto the forum. This is not the place for such content. Users who post it may find their access limited or permanently suspended. Please leave it where you find it.

Lost for 3 days

38mess

Before the days when boats needed radios and engines, it was common for us to drift past the harbour entrance with the tide when the wind died, sometimes you were lucky and got a tow, sometimes you could be out for days. It helped to be young and enthusiastic. Never troubled the lifeboat, we would never live that down.

Black Sheep

I have no information on this other than what I've seen on the (conflicting) media reports, but....
- there's no evidence he was ever "lost".
- he may or may not have had a PLB on board. If he did, he might have reckoned that it was inappropriate as he was not in "grave and imminent danger".
He might be one of those Captains Calamity that we all like to scoff at. Or he might be an otherwise competent seaman with a broken engine, who was happy to drift about until the breeze returned.

Nice looking boat, what I can see of it

38mess

I have no information on this other than what I've seen on the (conflicting) media reports, but....
- there's no evidence he was ever "lost".
- he may or may not have had a PLB on board. If he did, he might have reckoned that it was inappropriate as he was not in "grave and imminent danger".
He might be one of those Captains Calamity that we all like to scoff at. Or he might be an otherwise competent seaman with a broken engine, who was happy to drift about until the breeze returned.

Nice looking boat, what I can see of it
The trouble is Joe public with mobile phones, they see something that looks a bit dodgy, next thing you know there is a lifeboat demanding they tow you back to harbour for your own safety.

Robin

home again, where democracy needs no guns
Bobbing about for a few days is my idea of heaven right now, although maybe not in the Dover Strait.
I must say, it seems odd that there was no wind at all, for three days, in that area. Maybe.
especially as the tide flow will create a wind on it's own, albeit only very light so won't be easy to work with for MABs maybe😲

Sandy

I wonder if he forgot his mobile phone? I understand that at that part of La manche there is a signal all the way to the mainland.

Clearly no ferry traffic to spot him.

TernVI

Has the wind really been THAT light down that way for the last 3 days?

Athomson

Dozens were rescued/ferried in over the weekend, but the desperate starving refugees must have had better comms. than the experienced yachtsman..
I was confused by this tweet "Unfortunately, due to his engine failing, he had no power to his radio." but then I realised he must have run the battery down trying to get it started. But then they said "The yacht is his home so there are no issues re. Covid." so I'm thinking surely he had a leisure battery? But maybe he ran that down before thinking to use the radio. A lesson worth remembering to always keep a bit of juice in reserve. Then I'm thinking why didn't he McGyver 8 AA/AAA batteries with some gaffer tape into a 12v battery :cool: