Losing engine power in the BC when sailing?

RobWard

Visit site
This is a really interesting thread and has confirmed my view that there isn't a right answer; I think my favoured options would be to anchor off Penarth (isn't there a mooring there as well?) and/or see if I could use my inflatable and outboard to just about get in...

Birdseye

Visit site
This is a really interesting thread and has confirmed my view that there isn't a right answer; I think my favoured options would be to anchor off Penarth (isn't there a mooring there as well?) and/or see if I could use my inflatable and outboard to just about get in...
Penarth is a bit exposed and no there isnt a mooring buoy there. You would be much better off sailing into the outer barrage at Cardiff Bay and anchoring in the deeper water in front of the lock gates but not too close. Likely it would annoy the hell out of the barrage staff and passing boats which would encourage them to do their best to get you a tow in. I would certainly tow you if I was around - done it a few times after races.

When I did my YM practical , a part of it was to sail on and off a pontoon and onto and off a mooring buoy in the middle of a load of moored boats. And anchoring under sail alone. When you have to do it, its surprisng just how easy a lot of manoeuvres are under sail alone. When I had a mooring in Falmouth I used to watch the old working boats leave and return from a race onto their moorings in the middle of loads of other boats, and it was all under sail because they had no engines at all.

Best thing you can do is to try all these things under sail but with the engine idling to help if necessary,