Looks like two dead

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
Report on the BBC web site of two people lost down south after their rib was caught on a lobster pot. The owner's body was found but not that of the passenger.

My idea a few years ago that the pots should be marked in accordance with a code of practice, including the name and address of the owner. Any not so marked or in a faiway could be removed by the coastguard [CG] and if wanted back could be collected and money paid. Those not collected within 14 days could be sold on. The sums paid would cover the CG costs so everyone would be happy.

falcon5

Visit site
Hi this is such an important, and obvious comment that perhaps it should be made on one of the main forums as it may generate further comments and then some action.

scarlett

French Canals 2007 on, Hull most of winter. previo
Visit site
If the story is as it was shown, I would have thought someone from the area, Solent, would have picked it up and put their ideas forward by now.

If two have died because of a feral pot maybe someone will take action but I will not hold my breath. Lobsters and crabs are fetching a lot I understand.

alorwin

Visit site
The law already states that pots ect should be clearly marked with the vessels name/registration number which is the equivalent of name and address. Badly marked gear ie not easily visible marked gear should in my opinion carry a very stiff penalty as it is a danger to ALL seafarers, also anyone getting caught up on properly marked gear should have to endure the same stiff penalty.

PilotWolf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The law already states that pots ect should be clearly marked with the vessels name/registration number which is the equivalent of name and address.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you reference this law?

W.

alorwin

Visit site
I can reference this law yes. In my case (due to the area I used to fish) This law is stated in the EASTERN FISHERIES REGULATIONS and DEFRA LICENSE NOTES. This law is also quoted in the NFFO diary/handbook

PilotWolf

Visit site
Is it actually british law applying around the whole of the coast or just a local sea fisheries committee byelaw relating to the issue of a permit? Also sea fisheries committee byelaws are only relavent to their district and are not enforceable outside that area and normally only enforceable by each committee's own warranted officers.

The MCA only make RECOMMENDATIONS as to how gear should be marked - if there was a law to this effect do you not think they would quote it in their leaflets covering this matter?

And I note you still haven't actually referenced the law(s) which you refer to... just where you have read it.

W.

peter60

Visit site
the fishing regs state clearley that NO fishing gear may be put in a fairway and ALL gear must be marked with the vessels Number

PilotWolf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the fishing regs state clearley that NO fishing gear may be put in a fairway and ALL gear must be marked with the vessels Number

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT fishing regulations?????

PW

Other threads that may be of interest