Looking to buy

benjenbav

Visit site
Hope anchour meets with forum approval??. In all respects seems in very good condition,will spend weekend pondering then we go for a trial saiil
It makes you wonder when you see a genoa furled with the UV protective strip on the inside…

benjenbav

Visit site
It sold to somebody not me
I’ve also been looking at quite a few boats of similar size recently and, in addition to the excellent points made above about the externals, mechanicals and ownership, I would budget for a complete internal refit for anything more than a couple of years old.

The internals are pretty simple on this size of yacht and I would do the following:

Replace all sanitaryware and pipework.

Replace all freshwater systems - which in most cases will be a bag and some pipework.

Replace gas pipework (if any). Maybe utilise existing cooker, but probably replace.

Replace refrigerator- if any.

Replace all seacocks.

Replace all soft furnishings.

Refinish cabin sole. Review other internal woodwork, but probably ok.

Replace weatherboard.

Check and expect to renew hatch and porthole seals.

Inspect but hope not to have to replace electrical wiring.

And dispose of all loose items in the inventory.

Also replace all halyards, sheets and spraycovers, a patina of green not being the look I’d want to achieve.

Stemar

Visit site
Blimey - I'm not planning on doing all that on my new to me 1984 boat!

Replace all sanitaryware and pipework. Inspect & clean. If it ain't broke...

Replace all freshwater systems - which in most cases will be a bag and some pipework. If it ain't broke... Disinfect with Puriclean

Replace gas pipework (if any). Maybe utilise existing cooker, but probably replace. Check age of flexible pipe and regulator & replace as necessary. If there's no flame failure device on the stove, replace if budget allows, but thousands of boats have had stoves without for decades with very few problems.

Replace refrigerator- if any. If it ain't broke... If it is, consider whether I can do without - quite possibly not in Spain. Consider replacing with a cold box

Replace all seacocks. Inspect and service. (inspection includes a good welt with a rubber mallet)

Replace all soft furnishings. Inspect. Can I live with them? If not, make new covers unless the foam is too far gone

Refinish cabin sole. Review other internal woodwork, but probably ok. Yes

Replace weatherboard. Inspect & repair/replace as needed

Check and expect to renew hatch and porthole seals. Yes, but if it ain't broke...

Inspect but hope not to have to replace electrical wiring. This is the most likely candidate for an upgrade in my book.

And dispose of all loose items in the inventory. Do that and you're guaranteed to find out what that odd gizmo you chucked out is used for in a couple of months. If they don't have an obvious use, chuck 'em in the garage

Also replace all halyards, sheets and spraycovers, a patina of green not being the look I’d want to achieve. Start with a good clean. If they survive, and are usable, go sailing

One thing I would add is to consider whether solar panels would be feasible To my mind they're the best upgrade any boat used for more than day sails out of a marina could have

benjenbav

Visit site
Blimey - I'm not planning on doing all that on my new to me 1984 boat!

Replace all sanitaryware and pipework. Inspect & clean. If it ain't broke...

Replace all freshwater systems - which in most cases will be a bag and some pipework. If it ain't broke... Disinfect with Puriclean

Replace gas pipework (if any). Maybe utilise existing cooker, but probably replace. Check age of flexible pipe and regulator & replace as necessary. If there's no flame failure device on the stove, replace if budget allows, but thousands of boats have had stoves without for decades with very few problems.

Replace refrigerator- if any. If it ain't broke... If it is, consider whether I can do without - quite possibly not in Spain. Consider replacing with a cold box

Replace all seacocks. Inspect and service. (inspection includes a good welt with a rubber mallet)

Replace all soft furnishings. Inspect. Can I live with them? If not, make new covers unless the foam is too far gone

Refinish cabin sole. Review other internal woodwork, but probably ok. Yes

Replace weatherboard. Inspect & repair/replace as needed

Check and expect to renew hatch and porthole seals. Yes, but if it ain't broke...

Inspect but hope not to have to replace electrical wiring. This is the most likely candidate for an upgrade in my book.

And dispose of all loose items in the inventory. Do that and you're guaranteed to find out what that odd gizmo you chucked out is used for in a couple of months. If they don't have an obvious use, chuck 'em in the garage

Also replace all halyards, sheets and spraycovers, a patina of green not being the look I’d want to achieve. Start with a good clean. If they survive, and are usable, go sailing

One thing I would add is to consider whether solar panels would be feasible To my mind they're the best upgrade any boat used for more than day sails out of a marina could have
Fair comment. But, I’m just saying what I would do. I’d do the same with a house, for that matter.

And adding solar panels or, indeed, replacing with more efficient modern ones would unequivocally be a benefit.

Tranona

Visit site
Agree. If you have bought a functioning boat then most things will not need replacing immediately. Just going through this with my Golden Hind. Very useful spending the day with the surveyor going through everything is some detail, even though I had already done that before I bought the boat. Having a second pair of (independent) eyes found things I had missed, fortunately nothing serious, and helped get a fix on what was important, and ways of going about the fixes.

So I now have a broad plan in 3 stages. First is things that need sorting before using that include removing the davits/solar/wind; rewiring the batteries and charging system; checking rig (which will be down for transport anyway); new sprayhood and cockpit cover; sort out 2 leaks on deck and repair localised damage; replace anchor and chain (anchor is cheapo copy CGR and chain 6mm whereas new windlass just fitted is 8mm). Second stage is to use for next season to get a better idea on sails and how she handles under power - new mainsail and stackpack almost certain and question mark over whether a bow thruster is necessary. Third upgrade wiring, nav gear and possibly re-upholster interior. Then time for doing fun things like lining exposed cabin sides with cedar T&G, making shelves etc, mainly to use up accumulated stock of timber in my garage!

Nice to have a project on a boat that is still usable while this is going on rather than one that will sit in a yard for a year or 2 before it is usable.

benjenbav

Visit site
Agree. If you have bought a functioning boat then most things will not need replacing immediately. Just going through this with my Golden Hind. Very useful spending the day with the surveyor going through everything is some detail, even though I had already done that before I bought the boat. Having a second pair of (independent) eyes found things I had missed, fortunately nothing serious, and helped get a fix on what was important, and ways of going about the fixes.

So I now have a broad plan in 3 stages. First is things that need sorting before using that include removing the davits/solar/wind; rewiring the batteries and charging system; checking rig (which will be down for transport anyway); new sprayhood and cockpit cover; sort out 2 leaks on deck and repair localised damage; replace anchor and chain (anchor is cheapo copy CGR and chain 6mm whereas new windlass just fitted is 8mm). Second stage is to use for next season to get a better idea on sails and how she handles under power - new mainsail and stackpack almost certain and question mark over whether a bow thruster is necessary. Third upgrade wiring, nav gear and possibly re-upholster interior. Then time for doing fun things like lining exposed cabin sides with cedar T&G, making shelves etc, mainly to use up accumulated stock of timber in my garage!

Nice to have a project on a boat that is still usable while this is going on rather than one that will sit in a yard for a year or 2 before it is usable.
What a glorious boat to own. I do have a weakness for a ketch!

Tranona

Visit site
Not a ketch, fortunately. Only one, or maybe 2 were actually built as ketches and one was for sale recently. If it had been a sloop I would have bought it. It is not good with a ketch rig - not big enough to justify the extra weight and complication, needs a long bowsprit as it is cutter headed and the mizzen comes slap bang in the middle of the companionway. With the long tiller no room to move around in the cockpit.

This is the boat boatshed.com/golden_hind_31-boat-267016.html Lovely to look at and in good nick, but could not live with all that rigging and string!