looking for cheapish boat storage and sheltered mooring or berth. Forth estuary or 1hour from Edinburgh.

niallw70

Visit site
I need to move my boat soon, I'm looking for suggestions for a new home for my Nicholson 26. Long fin keel, I know L. fin keel not that handy for the East coast, but I know I'd never find as good a bilge keeler as work I've put in to making my Nic nice.
Port Edgar, horrendously expensive, but where else has the space?

Morepower

Visit site
The only "local' marina I can think of that could possibly accommodate you would be Burnt Island... I remember when I was looking for a mooring that they had deep water moorings...

Regards

Tim

SaltIre

Visit site
There are moorings at Blackness Bay, I think run by the boat club there.
Website says the bay is tidal, but they can accommodate yachts up to 28ft. Don't know if they need to be twin keel.
Good luck.
Blackness Boat Club - Sailing Club on the bank of the Forth

Edit:
Here's a pic in September. I don't see any cradles for fin keel yachts in the compound...
Google Maps

March 2019 they seem to be bilge keelers... Sorry.
I bought a Sadler 25 at Limekilns and it dries out.
Just seen you are in Bo'ness - ooops!:confused:

Last edited:

niallw70

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the replies, Tom and Saltire. I'd already checked with Blackness and they are full and their slipway not suitable for boats of 4.5 tonnes.
I do need to check with Burntisland, this could be an option, even if it does mean a bit more travel.

niallw70

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. I've just been in touch with RFYC and as I suspected, they are asking a bit to much for my limited budget. Summer mooring and winter ashore storage probably the biggest annual expense for any owner.
Forth Corinthians, when I last inquired, had a waiting list to get a mooring... and you had to become a member to get on the waiting list! I'm not sure if that is still the case.

roaringgirl

bit.ly
Hi, thanks for the reply. I've just been in touch with RFYC and as I suspected, they are asking a bit to much for my limited budget. Summer mooring and winter ashore storage probably the biggest annual expense for any owner.
Forth Corinthians, when I last inquired, had a waiting list to get a mooring... and you had to become a member to get on the waiting list! I'm not sure if that is still the case.
I don't think Corinthians is very expensive to join. Unsurprisingly the west harbour (deep water) moorings are in high demand.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Dalgety Bay sailing club? There seem to be a few yachts based at North Queensferry, and there used to be something called "Kinghorn Yacht Services" so maybe something goes on there. Anstruther marina isn't that far away, but if you were prepared to go that far the Clyde is almost as accessible. Edinburgh to Helensburgh is two hours by train, then a short taxi or bus ride gets you to Rhu Marina or the huge number of moorings on the Gareloch. The RNCYC was doing a very cheap deal for membership+mooring for newcomers.

cherod

Visit site
The only "local' marina I can think of that could possibly accommodate you would be Burnt Island... I remember when I was looking for a mooring that they had deep water moorings...

Regards

Tim
last time i enquired Burnt island had a waiting list , ( couple of years ago ) , tho ii think they added some more pontoons inside . ( very close to railway station )

OVERSIER

Visit site
Hi everyone, as a new Corinthians member I would like to share a few things because some of the information provided here is incorrect. Granton currently does not have any non drying mooring, all boats go down at least partially due to the Marina development in West Harbour. Corinthians charge around £70(will be pro rata) per year of membership and mooring is roughly £350 per season(Pro rata) . There is no list at present and it can be allocated as soon as you are a member. Hope this helps.