Looking for Alternative Paint to International

cygnusv

www.best-camping-stoves.com
It's coming up to the time again to get the boat out for maintenance and repaint. Since the demise of Sikkens at the hand of International Paints, I have used several others including Rylards and International and NONE of these, or others I've used are a patch on what Sikkens was.

With Sikkens, I was able to apply with a roller and my partner would lay it off with a brush. All this with no 'lines' showing where the paint has started to dry. In addition, the finish left by Sikkens was brilliant and actually looked very professional. Application this way with inferior products is simply not possible. Spraying would improve the situation but is not practical and not an option unfortunately.

My question is, can anyone recommend a paint that flows properly and looks right when done? i should note that I have tried various ways of trying to improve laying off qualities that include various levels of temperature, thinning and Owlatrol(?) to inhibit early drying. None of these methods has worked.

Our boat is wood and the repaint is for the entire hull. This is why laying off is so important.

Thanks in advance

Rappey

Visit site
Akzo Nobel are the owners of sikens, international, dulux, saddolin, awlgrip and the list goes on.
My friends boat was painted black using international, by roller and brush and thining and the finish was amazing !
It appears the sikens paint range has been converted to the dulux range.

cygnusv

Akzo Nobel are the owners of sikens, international, dulux, saddolin, awlgrip and the list goes on.
My friends boat was painted black using international, by roller and brush and thining and the finish was amazing !
It appears the sikens paint range has been converted to the dulux range.

I've actually been working on a friend's boat today, painting a 4 inch strip of gelcoat using black International gloss. It was the poor finish of this that prompted my post!

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I have used a cheaper paint from the local chandlery called Precision with good results. I would like to find a one-pack polyurethane for the hardness but the only one I can find is sold as "suitable for use on narrow boats " and is from Manor Paints or something. I would love to know if it is any good.

wallacebob

Visit site
Precision Paints (Teamac) Hull, very good finish,, easy to apply. They also do a commercial range, maybe more suitable for wood. Call them for advice.
SML paints, good too, plus excellent service. Colour match anything.

cygnusv

QUOTE="wallacebob, post: 7677477, member: 33090"]
Precision Paints (Teamac) Hull, very good finish,, easy to apply. They also do a commercial range, maybe more suitable for wood. Call them for advice.
SML paints, good too, plus excellent service. Colour match anything.
[/QUOTE]
I'll give them a call.
Thanks