Looking for advice - cat or monohull for med/aegean liveaboard?

pragmatist

Visit site

Ravi

Visit site
To the OP -:
A couple of thought about Cats to add to the good advice already given.
Older Cats (Prout 35 or Iroquois) are in your price range. I nearly bought a 35' Prout last year for about £25K, but decided it was too big and manoeuvrable to single hand.
But, on the other hands, these old cats are not that much bigger in the beam than some modern monohulls!

With your joinery skills you can probably do great things with the roomier open interior of an old cat to make it attractive and functional for your needs. There is less scope in a monuhull.

Even in Greece, I would not underestimate the value of a shallow draft cat. If you want to get away from the midsummer madness of congested harbours, there are many small fishing harbours and creeks which are only an option if you draw 1m or less. A cat with a draft of a couple of feet, like an Iroquois with lifting rudders and boards, opens up all these more remote and beautiful places to you.

A couple of people have pointed out that you should reserve 25% of your budget to fix up your boat. The alternative is to buy a (good!) ex charter vessel, which will come with everything on board - right down to teaspoons and toilet brush. Ex charter/flotilla boats are heavily used but they are also well maintained (if you buy from the right company).

I also agree with the comment that the boats that you are considering seem rather large for a couple doing coastal cruising - unless you have guests most of the time. A smaller boat may make it a bit less comfortable for the rare times that a third couple are on board but will make your life easier (!and cheaper!) for the rest of the year.

Good luck in your adventure!

Rav

Visit site
If you are still reading this thread, reason for cat rather than a mono is very very simple. WHEN YOU HAVE A ROW WITH EACH OTHER, ONE HAS THE PORT SIDE THE OTHER THE STARBOARD!!...................................SPACE!
ps, we are hoping to take off in our mahe 36 next year, best of luck

Tony Cross

Visit site
I dont have much of substance to add to the good and varied advice that's here already. We live sboard a 45ft monohull so you can guess my opinion!

What I wanted to say is that many of the people who have replied to you are very experienced and you would be wise to heed their advice.

Regarding your "a mile or two offshore" comment, I was told by an old salt some years ago that there are two kinds of sailors, those who worry when they can't see land and those who worry when they can. You have to figure out which type you are. :)

rivonia

Visit site
I dont have much of substance to add to the good and varied advice that's here already. We live sboard a 45ft monohull so you can guess my opinion!

What I wanted to say is that many of the people who have replied to you are very experienced and you would be wise to heed their advice.

Regarding your "a mile or two offshore" comment, I was told by an old salt some years ago that there are two kinds of sailors, those who worry when they can't see land and those who worry when they can. You have to figure out which type you are. :)

This is sound advice. (Cat Sailor)

bd2021

Visit site
Just to add a little bit more on the subject of budget. It is perhaps better to spend more on a newer better boat from the outset, rather than buy a boat that needs work. Just to give an example, if you go up £10k or so, my Bavaria 37 (2001) is for sale and is streets ahead of a 30-40 year old boat. It did us proud for 10 years in the Med and is fully equipped for cruising there. As it has a shallow keel there is the option of going through the canals - few modern boats of this size can do that. You can see the details on www.jryachts.com Not a sales pitch - just to give you an idea of what you can get for the money to compare with boats for a bit less. There are plenty of similar boats at similar prices for sale in Greece and Croatia and in my view are infinitely better value than older boats that need work.
Hey Tranona, I know this is a very long shot! Unfortunately I can't PM you as just registered here, however I have an important question to ask you. Could you kindly send me an e-mail to bd2021bd@protonmail.com?

roblpm

Visit site
I was quite excited as there really aren't enough "what boat" threads on here for my liking and I am too embarrassed to start any more of my own. Then I realised it was a zombie thread from 2014! I wonder what happened to the op!